ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #11,360 of 16,326
Tried searching but may have missed it, but does anyone know if there are any plans to add usb audio functionality to the DP-X1 so it can be detected as an audio device on Windows OS? It would be really nice if it could also be a low power consumption balanced amp for home use.

Right now I'm using a Fiio portable dac/amp instead of my 250Wh+ balanced setup because it is a very hot summer and peak hour rates are high -_-.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #11,362 of 16,326
If you already believe in the limited range of human hearing, then the end results of "hi-res" and upsampling is exactly the same.

That's not really true. Low pass filters are sused in the ADC stage and arguably have more effect on the sound.

A recording at 48KHz upsampled to 384 will still have all the anti-alias filter artifacts of the 48KHz ad conversion. A native 384KHz recording will have the artifacts of a low pass filter with a much higher pass frequency and a vastly improved impulse response. And you can also get away with a much gentler, non-nyquist filter with^ut any of the distortion that would cause being anywhere near the hearing range.

Hope that is relevant to the discussion - forgotten the context as it was quite a while ago.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #11,366 of 16,326
  Nothing more that the memory ... not a real new product.

Its an upgrade. Its more than just tbe memory increase. There are larger capacitors and they fixed the jack problems..

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #11,367 of 16,326
  Nothing more that the memory ... not a real new product.

rolleyes.gif

Yeah sure, it's so much better not to increase (or even decrease) capacity when launching a new flagship DAP, like A&K, Cowon or Opus have done.
wink.gif

For once, a DAP manufacturer actually releases something with a better spec sheet, and people still complain... amazing...

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #11,369 of 16,326
I am late to this thread. Just heard about this product because it was an Amazon recommendation based on my other purchases. I am currently using a first generation FIIO X3, which I love, but I have always dreamed of being able to carry my entire music collection around. I only have about 280G of music in a combination of 320 MP3 and Apple Lossless.

I typically use some Klipsch ear buds or Sennheiser Pro 280 headphones. I've never really understood the attraction to the unbalanced outputs. Do you give up much quality by going with the Pioneer which only has the 3.5 jack? If they are otherwise identical and I don't want the expense of going unbalanced how much do you save getting the Pioneer. Any other differences or downsides?

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #11,370 of 16,326
I am late to this thread. Just heard about this product because it was an Amazon recommendation based on my other purchases. I am currently using a first generation FIIO X3, which I love, but I have always dreamed of being able to carry my entire music collection around. I only have about 280G of music in a combination of 320 MP3 and Apple Lossless.

I typically use some Klipsch ear buds or Sennheiser Pro 280 headphones. I've never really understood the attraction to the unbalanced outputs. Do you give up much quality by going with the Pioneer which only has the 3.5 jack? If they are otherwise identical and I don't want the expense of going unbalanced how much do you save getting the Pioneer. Any other differences or downsides?

I have not heard the Onkyo but I do have the Pioneer. I find the Pioneer pretty amazing. I am not sure how much balanced out would really change the experience. Next month I might upgrade to the new Pioneer which is basically the Onkyo that is currently out or I might buy an Onkyo to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back