ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #8,717 of 16,328

Just to check, have you turned the gain to High and the volume waaay down, to almost zero?

It should be easy to hear distortion like this if it is present. I imagine it could be overlooked during loud volume listening on low gain, possibly.

So, is that the only condition the distortion is really noticeable in? If so, that really shouldn't be a factor at all as you should never be in high gain if you listen more quietly, low gain makes sense in those circumstances, but I suspect you know that. Is the distortion actually audible in normal listening situations? I never experienced it myself, but I only used Tidal for instance, and my playback volume was typically high so I wouldn't hear very low level distortion. And if it was only low it likely wouldn't bother me anyway. Again, I have no idea about the magnitude of, or under what conditions this distortion manifests itself.

May 26, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #8,718 of 16,328
  So, is that the only condition the distortion is really noticeable in? If so, that really shouldn't be a factor at all as you should never be in high gain if you listen more quietly, low gain makes sense in those circumstances, but I suspect you know that. Is the distortion actually audible in normal listening situations? I never experienced it myself, but I only used Tidal for instance, and my playback volume was typically high so I wouldn't hear very low level distortion. And if it was only low it likely wouldn't bother me anyway. Again, I have no idea about the magnitude of, or under what conditions this distortion manifests itself.

Also, to add to your comment, I only notice distortion in between songs when playing Tidal HIFI, otherwise I never hear distortion, ever.

May 26, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #8,719 of 16,328
Sonic Defender To me it is audible at listening volumes on low gain (I listen quietly) but I also use sensitive iems. I hear a large drop in quality to 3rd party apps.

I just offered an obvious test for people that may listen louder or use less sensitive devices. I can't believe that there is no problem for some people so want to check.

May 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #8,720 of 16,328
Sorry if this has been covered, but is the X1 available for sale in the US yet? I see Amazon has a number sellers in east Asia but I don't find it for sale by US merchants. BH Photo has listed as coming soon but no date. Sorry, I have not slogged through all 560 pages of this thread. I love this forum but we seriously need rooms for each piece of equipment with sub threads.

Amazon has been selling the DP-X1 directly shipped by Onkyo USA for quite for time now. I got mine that way
The trick to find it is go to onkyousa.com then products then portable players then DP-X1 then retailers then click on the Amazon icon
This will bring you to onkyo us shipped DP-X1
Right now they show 4 in stock

May 27, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #8,721 of 16,328
I´m surprised that some people hear noise/interference/artifacts from 3rd party apps and others don´t. I´v tried Tidal/UAPP/Neutron and others, and they all have very obvious noise issues. And for me it´s not just between the songs. I listen mostly to jazz and classical music. And there are often quiet parts of the music that is totally ruined by noise. 

A test is to listen to The Ballad of Bill Hubbard (first song on Roger Waters Amused to Death). Tidal link: tidal.com/track/49160022

The start of this song is broken up by noise. It´s like the players aren´t able to process sound below a certain dB threshold. 

I´m new to Android, but I hope this forum can do a collective troubleshooting to find out what´s going on. I love the sound from the stock app, but the rest of the apps are totally ruined for me. I bought DP-X1 to have streaming capabilities and it´s a total failure in that sense. 

If only AK300 had dual SD slots, I would buy that right away.

May 27, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #8,722 of 16,328
Has anybody hearing the interference sounds in 3rd party apps rooted and tried this?

Another tweak that you might want to do while rooted is to install build.prop editor and add the line "af.resampler.quality = 4“ in the build.prop. This is supposed to increase Android resampling quality and remove resampling artifacts. There were however reports that it broke audio playback on Android 6. But AFAIK you can always remove / reset the line if anything goes wrong. Might remove the "washing machine" sound for 3rd party players?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #8,723 of 16,328
@Sonic Defender To me it is audible at listening volumes on low gain (I listen quietly) but I also use sensitive iems. I hear a large drop in quality to 3rd party apps.

I just offered an obvious test for people that may listen louder or use less sensitive devices. I can't believe that there is no problem for some people so want to check.

Yes, I think the issue is that the distortion is there at all times. It is easy to identify at low volumes using the test you describe but that doesn't mean it goes away at higher listening volumes. It is just being masked by the music but will, as Eide identifies, manifest itself during quiet passages in music tracks.

On the Onkyo, playback of lossless tracks from Tidal is clearly inferior to playback of the same 'quality' files via the Music app, whereas on my desktop rig I can hear no difference between a track from Tidal and the same track from my own library. I suspect that this may be due to some combination of the ever-present distortion, the software processing under Android, and the potential difference in the hardware path within the player.

Hopefully future firmware updates will bring some improvement.

May 27, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #8,726 of 16,328
The following apps works without any noise for my/tried heaphones/earphones:

Music
tidal
moov
Neutron
poweramp
poweramp alpha v3
foobar2000 mobile
Hiby music player
Youtube
Youku

headphones/earphones:
akg Q460
S. Momentum on-ear M2
Daveear EP-01
ath-MSR7
ath-M50
JVC HA-SS01
akg K545
akg K712
AK T1p (balanced)
hifiman HE-400s
heir 3ais
UE UERR demo
SR80e (+ 500mw tube amplifier)

*many are tested in local shops in HK.

Actually I have never hear any noise on the above apps yet.

May 27, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #8,730 of 16,328
I´m surprised that some people hear noise/interference/artifacts from 3rd party apps and others don´t. I´v tried Tidal/UAPP/Neutron and others, and they all have very obvious noise issues. And for me it´s not just between the songs. I listen mostly to jazz and classical music. And there are often quiet parts of the music that is totally ruined by noise. 

A test is to listen to The Ballad of Bill Hubbard (first song on Roger Waters Amused to Death). Tidal link: tidal.com/track/49160022

The start of this song is broken up by noise. It´s like the players aren´t able to process sound below a certain dB threshold. 

I´m new to Android, but I hope this forum can do a collective troubleshooting to find out what´s going on. I love the sound from the stock app, but the rest of the apps are totally ruined for me. I bought DP-X1 to have streaming capabilities and it´s a total failure in that sense. 

If only AK300 had dual SD slots, I would buy that right away.

But Ak300 does not have tidal. Does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back