ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8,357 of 16,326
This topic might have been discussed before. But it's a bit difficult to search back 567 pages of threads so I am going to ask it here. I'm sorry if this has been brought up before. I have the Onkyo DP-X1 with the latest firmware. Been using with the variable output set to on with Westone UM Pro 50 Earphones. The native Music app and Tidal runs fine. Recently I upgraded to Westone ES60. Native music app runs fine. Tidal has hiss sound in the background. It is like a distortion sound. I thought it was the new ES60 at first. Switch back to UM Pro 50 has no problem again. But then using the ES60 with my iPhone running Tidal has no problem at all. So I went back to the Onkyo with the ES60 again, the hiss sound still there with only Tidal. I switch off the variable line out then the hiss sound disappeared. But the output is much less. So to summarize it, the hiss sound only appears with the Onkyo DP-X1 running tidal with the Westone ES60 with the variable line out mode set to on. Anyone has similar problem? Any solution? Thanks for helping.

Unfortunately running Tidal app has audible distortion and its also the case when you play offline content from Tidal. I checked. Try setting the gain low to soften the hiss, that's what I did and helped a little. Hopefully they'll come out with an update to fix the issue.

May 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #8,358 of 16,326
How are you trying to play the playlists? Since your post does not say what you are doing, it is not possible for me to troubleshoot your issue. The DP-X1 does not just play the list like most of my other DAPs do. Mine play fine. In the library, select Playlist to get the list of your playlists. Next to the playlist you want to play, tap on the three dots on the right side to open the menu. Tap "Replace Up Next" to clear the que and add your playlist.

Thank you! I don't know what happened, my jazz Playlist git all corrupted, so I just made a new one.

May 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #8,359 of 16,326
I found a little trick to help with playlists. I find the UI of the Onkyo player to be terrible for creating playlists in the app itself. What I do is this:

1. Use any desktop app to create a standard playlist in M3U format.
  2. Make sure the file paths match what you have in your DP-X1. I have all my albums in a "Music" folder on my SD cards so I create a playlist file path for that.
  3. Copy the M3U files into the base directly that matches your file path on the DP-X1
  4. Power down and power back up. You have to wait a few minutes for the Onkyo app to scan the M3U file and tracks. You can keep checking to see if your playlist shows up with all the songs.
  5. Once your playlist is fully scanned start play from song #1.
  6. Pause and select show track list. It will match your playlist.
  7. Use the save to playlist and name the new playlist something different than the M3U file.
  8. Now you have the playlist created natively within the app.
  9. Delete your original M3U playlist

Why go through all this trouble? If you just use M3U playlists, the Onkyo app will scan the files every time you power up the DP-X1. The more tracks you have, the longer it will take, but it's at least several minutes for your tracks to show up on the app. By converting them to the native playlists within the app, the playlists show instantly.

May 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #8,360 of 16,326
Unfortunately running Tidal app has audible distortion and its also the case when you play offline content from Tidal. I checked. Try setting the gain low to soften the hiss, that's what I did and helped a little. Hopefully they'll come out with an update to fix the issue.

So I'm not alone. My only solution right now is turn off the variable line out mode when listening to Tidal. But this makes the output much less and I have to turn up the volume quite high. Hope they will look into this issue soon. Will write to Tidal to report. Thanks.

May 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #8,361 of 16,326
Hi Guys.
Never owned a DAP before and was very excited reading about it release and specs on this forum,but after reading 500 pages of comments,Bluetooth,problems, also some users unhappy with there purchase.

So, for me who has never had one,would I be blown away with my purchase? Is there anything else that comes remotely close to this bad boy?

Cheers guys

May 15, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #8,362 of 16,326
  http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_notice_view.php?code=425
looks like Mr. Kaneda had some kind of accident so Pricejapan response might get slower now.

I feel sorry for him. My package was sent back for repair 2 weeks ago, it's supposed to be in Japan 1 week ago and receiver should've it by now. I kept sending email entire last week but no responses for confirmation. The USPS tracking shows nothing in Japan even with Japanpost and Pricejapan just announced it  just yesterday that I still have to wait for another 2 weeks for Mr.Kaneda to get back. Isn't there supposed to be anyone else beside him to handle the work? Not that I feel angry toward him anymore after hearing such story...it's just I don't know what to do now, i'm scared of the package getting lost...bad luck.

May 15, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #8,363 of 16,326
Congrat!

dp-x1 received the top award VGP Golden for its price range.

ポータブルミュージックプレーヤー (6万円以上10万円未満)
sita_kei.gif

金賞
ONKYODP-X1
Line.jpg

金賞
SONYNW-ZX100
Line.jpg

受賞
ASTELL&KERNAK Jr
Line.jpg

受賞
TEACHA-P90SD

May 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,364 of 16,326
This topic might have been discussed before. But it's a bit difficult to search back 567 pages of threads so I am going to ask it here. I'm sorry if this has been brought up before. I have the Onkyo DP-X1 with the latest firmware. Been using with the variable output set to on with Westone UM Pro 50 Earphones. The native Music app and Tidal runs fine. Recently I upgraded to Westone ES60. Native music app runs fine. Tidal has hiss sound in the background. It is like a distortion sound. I thought it was the new ES60 at first. Switch back to UM Pro 50 has no problem again. But then using the ES60 with my iPhone running Tidal has no problem at all. So I went back to the Onkyo with the ES60 again, the hiss sound still there with only Tidal. I switch off the variable line out then the hiss sound disappeared. But the output is much less. So to summarize it, the hiss sound only appears with the Onkyo DP-X1 running tidal with the Westone ES60 with the variable line out mode set to on. Anyone has similar problem? Any solution? Thanks for helping.

Some IEM has matching problem with phone out.  If you can find a balanced 2.5 cable, try it, different phone out port will  affect different IEM.  e.g. I know the ath-im04 cannot match to the 3.5 phone out but it will match the 2.5 phone out port.

May 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #8,367 of 16,326
Some IEM has matching problem with phone out.  If you can find a balanced 2.5 cable, try it, different phone out port will  affect different IEM.  e.g. I know the ath-im04 cannot match to the 3.5 phone out but it will match the 2.5 phone out port.

Yes I have both 3.5 and 2.5 balanced cable. Unfortunately both have distortion for my IEM.

May 16, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #8,368 of 16,326
Three questions

1) Although the manual makes no such reference (only refers connecting to computer for charging) is there any reason not to charge this unit using
    for example a standard iphone USB power adapter

2) Some of the reviews refer to this device being able to play music from a DLNA source. How would one do that ? Don't see any reference in manual or in the device menus ?

3) Was able to output to my Mojo without using anything but the device's own output controls. Why would one use the UAPP application

Grateful for any response

May 16, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #8,369 of 16,326
  Three questions

1) Although the manual makes no such reference (only refers connecting to computer for charging) is there any reason not to charge this unit using
    for example a standard iphone USB power adapter

2) Some of the reviews refer to this device being able to play music from a DLNA source. How would one do that ? Don't see any reference in manual or in the device menus ?

3) Was able to output to my Mojo without using anything but the device's own output controls. Why would one use the UAPP application

Grateful for any response

Not sure about the first question (although I have been charging it with whatever is lying around)

2) You'd need to download an app that supports DLNA from the Android Store, for eg. BubbleUPnP.

3) Android upsamples all USB audio out by default, however UAPP uses a separate framework which outputs USB audio at its original bitrate. So if you use UAPP you can avoid the Android resampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back