ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 29, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #7,787 of 16,328

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806595/astell-kern-announces-the-ak300-and-ak-recorder-5-6mhz-dsd-recorder-at-tokyo-headphone-festival/0_30

AK 300 at $899. Hmmm.

Saw that before finally pulling the trigger on the DP-X1.

I like the styling of the 300 series and I am fond of the AKM 4490 DAC ... but it's hard to believe that AK are stubbornly sticking to a single microSD slot, appear to have retained the same tired old headphone amp stage (which isn't very good with very low impedance IEMs in my opinion), and it still requires the very-nasty Android File Transfer application (for OS X users).

No streaming source support.

At least it is moderately sanely priced compared to their usual nonsense.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #7,788 of 16,328

Don't know any way to use the USB OTG output at the same time as charging it (it only has one USB connector).  I've seen double-headed USB OTG cables that would let you make simultaneous connections to a DAC and a battery/charger, but that doesn't mean it'll actually work in that configuration.

bummer. Thank you.

My search for the 'perfect' dap to meet my needs continues.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #7,789 of 16,328
bummer. Thank you.

My search for the 'perfect' dap to meet my needs continues.

So, if you found a DAP that did everything except charge while playing you still wouldn't get it?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #7,790 of 16,328
  There is a setting to lock the wheel when the screen is off, you will find it. I did after a few big blasts when putting in and out of my jacket pocket.

Under 'Settings / Sound and notification' there's a volume lock option to prevent change when the screen is off.

yeh I use that but, what I'm talking about is when you turn the screen on with the power button, the device is locked eg you've not yet entered a pin or pattern but you can still adjust volume
I'd like it to have the option to have to turn screen on and to have unlock device before you can adjust volume and switch tracks/play pause

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #7,791 of 16,328
So, if you found a DAP that did everything except charge while playing you still wouldn't get it?
right. sooo close here. In time, may accept the compromise. Will search or wait a bit more for now.

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7,792 of 16,328
  Don't know any way to use the USB OTG output at the same time as charging it (it only has one USB connector).  I've seen double-headed USB OTG cables that would let you make simultaneous connections to a DAC and a battery/charger, but that doesn't mean it'll actually work in that configuration.

Best bet would be to keep asking Onkyo to make a mini dock accessory that has the necessary circuitry to charge and support OTG simultaneously and also support USB DAC. On the later, I'm not sure a firmware update alone can turn the DP-X1 into USB DAC.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #7,793 of 16,328
PC dac is not a practical thing for dap to do.

While a iDSD has 4000mW, a xpa700 has 3 times the battery size, they are clearly better PC dac than dp-x1.

Therefore I don't think dp-x1 can solve everyone's problem.

As the very first round of owner, I think this is the dap that transforms the mobile phone vs AK market. It is between the two worlds.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #7,794 of 16,328
Can't imagine that it wouldn't be a clean enough output to feed an amp with, particularly with AGC.  Need more power than the DP-X1 has?

I've tried mine feeding balanced into a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it worked very well on both AGC and full balanced with the DP-X1 set to line-out mode.

Samsung phones had a facility whereby a specific resistor value in the micro-USB plug would enable a mode that allowed OTG and charging. It would only work with a specific cable, none of the generic double-headed cables worked. It would be neat if the DP-X1 had a similar arrangement but I haven't seen it suggested anywhere.

Best bet would be to keep asking Onkyo to make a mini dock accessory that has the necessary circuitry to charge and support OTG simultaneously and also support USB DAC. On the later, I'm not sure a firmware update alone can turn the DP-X1 into USB DAC.

A dock would be a very welcome accessory. I was thinking of attempting a DIY one, but it will probably remain on my long list of things to do.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #7,795 of 16,328
DP-X1 is growing on me slowly. Just can't get off it. DUNU-DN2000J with bass rings, white spacer rings and SpinFit tips never sounded this magical.

Can I ask do you have a 2.5mm TRRS for your IEM's
Because if you are enjoying your DP-X1 SE you are in for a treat if you ever go down the path of Balanced/ACG 

L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #7,796 of 16,328

Saw that before finally pulling the trigger on the DP-X1.

I like the styling of the 300 series and I am fond of the AKM 4490 DAC ... but it's hard to believe that AK are stubbornly sticking to a single microSD slot, appear to have retained the same tired old headphone amp stage (which isn't very good with very low impedance IEMs in my opinion), and it still requires the very-nasty Android File Transfer application (for OS X users).

No streaming source support.

At least it is moderately sanely priced compared to their usual nonsense.

Nice price in A&K terms and I do like the UI on their devices.
One to consider for some.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #7,797 of 16,328
I have ordered a DP-x1 from PriceJapan and it will be shipped tomorrow. However the case is back ordered and won't be shipped for another month. I've looked at the Dignis case and was wondering what the experience has been regarding shipping from Dignis.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #7,798 of 16,328
I have ordered a DP-x1 from PriceJapan and it will be shipped tomorrow. However the case is back ordered and won't be shipped for another month. I've looked at the Dignis case and was wondering what the experience has been regarding shipping from Dignis.

I live in the US and got my Dignis case in like 4 days, it was crazy fast, but 23 dollars to ship. It is a really nice case for the player. I bought a Lowepro case for the player and my CIEMs to go in and that should be here Monday, if it work good like I expect it to, I will post a picture and link for it. It was only 8 dollars for that.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #7,799 of 16,328
I live in the US and got my Dignis case in like 4 days, it was crazy fast, but 23 dollars to ship. It is a really nice case for the player. I bought a Lowepro case for the player and my CIEMs to go in and that should be here Monday, if it work good like I expect it to, I will post a picture and link for it. It was only 8 dollars for that.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the Dignis. It's to Canada so should be similar shipping. With any luck the DP-X1 and case should arrive at the same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back