ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #7,458 of 16,328
Balanced seems to be the way to go with the dp-X1 but this is way beyond my level of expertise, although I understand some of the basic principles I do not know the best way to achieve it.

1) Sould I buy a new set of balanced cans? Reccomendations?

2) I have BW P7's and AKG 701's. I believe my 701's can be rewired (but not by me!) A replacement balanced cable on its own is not enough right? I need to rewire at the headphone end? Anybody know of a UK based company that can do this?

I also own the Hifiman 650 which also has a balanced output....

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #7,459 of 16,328
Balanced seems to be the way to go with the dp-X1 but this is way beyond my level of expertise, although I understand some of the basic principles I do not know the best way to achieve it.

1) Sould I buy a new set of balanced cans? Reccomendations?

2) I have BW P7's and AKG 701's. I believe my 701's can be rewired (but not by me!) A replacement balanced cable on its own is not enough right? I need to rewire at the headphone end? Anybody know of a UK based company that can do this?

I also own the Hifiman 650 which also has a balanced output....

Sorry wrong forum I guess but searching has been unhelpful... Any links welcome....

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #7,460 of 16,328

The P7s are fairly easy to rewire too. The only issue is finding the headshell screws under the felt covering 
smile.gif

I have a photo of where they are, if you find someone who can do the recabling.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #7,464 of 16,328
If you're not using a double OTG cable ( OTG Wiring on both end ) then yes. Im not very familiar with the mojo but if it has battery then the DP-X1 is charging it while getting used if not then it's very obvious why the mojo is draining the battery.

I'm using the micro to micro cable that came with my Hugo...the DP-X1 is charging my Hugo if I'm using this cable vs. OTG/wiring on both ends? 

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #7,466 of 16,328
Just gotten my set. Loving it....currently using my 1964 ears v6 stage... Previously ak120 and dx90....

Using acg and narrow settings I somehow was quite shocked to say I feel everything feels a little soft... I am currently at volume 80-85... Gain set to normal...

Is there something I am doing wrong? I usually test with a flac hotel California live... This is a track I am most familiar with... Would getting a balanced cable really make a huge difference?

Pardon my ignorance as I am still very much a beginner but was wondering everyone was raving about it and after I bought and tried.. I was at first wondering why it sounded "lousier" than my ak120.... I have been telling myself that I may have some settings wrong.. Or maybe I just need to get a balance cable to truly enjoy this beast.

Also if anyone can point me to which cable would be the best value for money now?
Silver plated copper
Copper
Silver
Gold-played copper etc. getting a little overwhelmed.

Thanks for your help people

I have not updated any firmware but only having the latest version of the music app...

I think switching to a balanced cable make a huge difference.

I was using Westone UM50pro with a Whiplash twag v3 cable when I first get this DAP.

The Hotel California Live track from Hell Freeze Over was also one of my "reference" track for testing gear.

It was weak and flat compare to my R-10 (Jap version of DX100) through SE.

The sound is very clear but lacking the punch I use to get from my old player.

So I ask my friend to custom made a 99.9% 8n Silver balanced cable for me.

And it made a huge difference! The bass became full and fast (great dynamic).

Sound-stage also improved significantly while the little details of instruments stands out which I never heard before.

It was the first time I feel that a DAP is sounded superior to my R-10.

I buy this DAP for the smooth UI and portability and streaming apps but wasn't expect an upgrade of SQ from my R-10.

I was planned to keep my R-10 at home but now I am considering to sell it for a few bucks already.

Hope you can get your hands on a balanced cable to enjoy the full potential of this DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back