ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 31, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #6,752 of 16,326
Hi folks, I'm new here and I have post this in the introduction forum but I guess I should try my luck here. I have an Onkyo DP-X1 and a Chord Mojo and I use OTG cable in between them. Sometimes in the middle of a track the mojo would go silent for few seconds. I tried to search the forums but with no solution. The Onkyo on it's own would not do this. Is it the problem of the mojo or the problem of the OTG driver of the Onkyo? The Onkyo has the latest firmware. It sound much more transparent than before but with the mojo combination still has the lead. Many thanks. And sorry if this issue has been post before.

This may be way off topic, why would someone use a Mojo with the Onkyo instead of just using a smartphone instead? Is it only for the extra storage?

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #6,753 of 16,326

This may be way off topic, why would someone use a Mojo with the Onkyo instead of just using a smartphone instead? Is it only for the extra storage?

I re-read your post, at first I thought it read as if you were suggesting the Mojo provided storage. I see my mistake now. A smartphone would be just as good in that situation, maybe better if it had an even bigger screen.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #6,754 of 16,326
  I re-read your post, at first I thought it read as if you were suggesting the Mojo provided storage. I see my mistake now. A smartphone would be just as good in that situation, maybe better if it had an even bigger screen.

...that was my point :) ie., any android device that's using the mojo would be basically the same, and save for storage the Onkyo would really be most usable if it was used for its internal dacs.

Or, at least that's what I figure, what do I know? :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #6,755 of 16,326
@georgelai57
, this seems to be the same function as Android running on a mobile phone where the volume rocker pulls up the notifications setting.  This only happens when you're not in the music playing app as I have experienced.

I see. I guess I just have to live with it. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #6,756 of 16,326

...that was my point :) ie., any android device that's using the mojo would be basically the same, and save for storage the Onkyo would really be most usable if it was used for its internal dacs.

Or, at least that's what I figure, what do I know? :)

No, you are correct there would be no point at all. Any smartphone with decent USB OTG would be fine.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #6,758 of 16,326
I actually have heard a difference in using the Onkyo as a transport vs android phones in a blind test, make what you will of it
smily_headphones1.gif

That said to each his own!
smily_headphones1.gif

I suspect that is possible, although unlikely unless there was a marked issue with some aspect of the phones circuitry as compared to the Onkyo. If the phone was a decent quality phone you shouldn't have any audible difference at all. I would want to test you with multiple trials and you would need to get it right at least 90% of the time.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #6,759 of 16,326
I do enjoy taking the Onkyo out alone when I'm on public transportation sometimes. And I don't store much music in my iPhone since most of my files are hi res. And I use the Onkyo at home with the mojo. And after going back and forth I do hear a difference between the iPhone and the Onkyo as transport. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6,760 of 16,326
Personally, I would rate the difference around two thirds of not a lot :smile:  

Tidal Lossless is CD quality, Spotify 'extreme' quality is 320 kbps compressed. If I listen very carefully and clinically I can hear a difference on some tracks but for general enjoyment of music they are pretty much equal.

I broadly agree. I have gone over to Tidal as 1. I like the idea of lossless! 2. I think paying £20 per month for access to such a vast library of music is more realistic than Spotify's £10.
Incidentally, if you A/B Tidal and Spotify bear in mind that Tidal plays louder.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #6,761 of 16,326
@masterpfa
Here it is when I turned the volume wheel

Ahh now I see

You will get this banner on the DP-X1 when you adjust the volume without any music playing (or at least that is when I get it try on my device)

There does not seem to be a way of turning this off, or at least I haven't found a way yet. But I shall continue my search
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #6,762 of 16,326
  Ahh now I see

You will get this banner on the DP-X1 when you adjust the volume without any music playing (or at least that is when I get it try on my device)

There does not seem to be a way of turning this off, or at least I haven't found a way yet. But I shall continue my search
wink_face.gif

Thanks ... again.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #6,764 of 16,326
Apr 1, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #6,765 of 16,326
I am on the latest version.., i think.. SW 0.1.29_xxxxx

And It seem that i have some flac files that Onkyo cant read. 
   I had check these files on my Sonyt ZX2.. It has no problem reading it

It will appears as "unknown" in the  Album section...
  It will not play.. and when I browse the album under folder.. all files have an additional underscore
and a .wdmc file 

Not sure what is the problem... anyone seeing this? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back