ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 17, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #6,393 of 16,326

You are correct they are both very good DACs. All I am saying is that  when comparing SE to SE the QP1R is in my view a much superior sounding unit.  The Onkyo has the Questyle beat hands down on "features", but again for me, all I really care about is the quality of the sound using the best equipment and finest sound sources. All my files are top quality FLAC and DSDs, and it truly does make a difference. A complete all around best sounding system has at it's core the best sounding DAP,  top notch IEMs/Headphones, the correct ear tips, a very good quality cable, and pristine sound files to get the very most out of the listening experience. This is an exciting time for those of us who have been listening to music their whole lives...I started in the 1950's listening to a handheld AM transistor radio for my listening pleasure...boy have things changed for the better!

Have you tried to tune dp-x1 sound by using Digital filter, Lock range, Gain level, Up-sampling, or even switch to Neutron and Poweramp ?  If not, then you may only be using 60% of dp-x1's capability.  Not to mention you never tried the 2.5 balanced or balanced with ACG.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #6,394 of 16,326

You are correct they are both very good DACs. All I am saying is that  when comparing SE to SE the QP1R is in my view a much superior sounding unit.  The Onkyo has the Questyle beat hands down on "features", but again for me, all I really care about is the quality of the sound using the best equipment and finest sound sources. All my files are top quality FLAC and DSDs, and it truly does make a difference. A complete all around best sounding system has at it's core the best sounding DAP,  top notch IEMs/Headphones, the correct ear tips, a very good quality cable, and pristine sound files to get the very most out of the listening experience. This is an exciting time for those of us who have been listening to music their whole lives...I started in the 1950's listening to a handheld AM transistor radio for my listening pleasure...boy have things changed for the better!

Have you tried to tune dp-x1 sound by using Digital filter, Lock range, Gain level, Up-sampling, or even switch to Neutron and Poweramp ?  If not, then you may only be using 60% of dp-x1's capability.  Not to mention you never tried the 2.5 balanced or balanced with ACG.

Obviously it's subjective so no comment on preference by me, but @addyg makes a good point about going balanced. It's noticeably a step up from SE (on the Onkyo, anyway) and if you're into using the best of everything in the signal chain, you could probably add balanced out to your list above, Rick.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #6,396 of 16,326
I really really hope that this device can use as USB DAC someday, as I preferred this Over ak100ii and even Chord Mojo!

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #6,397 of 16,326
I really can't see the point of using it as DAC. Se sucks bad compared to Mojo and how do you use balanced out to an amp? You could always chromecast the DAP to a TV or PC and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control it

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #6,399 of 16,326
I really can't see the point of using it as DAC. Se sucks bad compared to Mojo and how do you use balanced out to an amp? You could always chromecast the DAP to a TV or PC and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control it

Why couldn't you connect via USB DAC and output directly from the unit's 2.5mm balanced to my IEM's, which are terminated for 2.5 TRRS? That in fact is exactly what I'd like to do if (when) Onkyo implements USB DAC. If not I may go with the soon to be released Luxury and Precision L3 which has USB DAC and balanced output.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #6,400 of 16,326
I would bet that Onkyo will only implement SE out for DAC mode. There are no that many (if any!) other Android 5.1 devices with balanced output, so developing drivers capable of handling two DAC chips would be considerable. Plus can't see what's in it for them when this mode is a very narrow niche use at best.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #6,401 of 16,326
  few pages back someone mentioned that there's a way to circumvent volume limiter for HK based unit. Can elaborate how to do it? Thanks
anyone care to help?

Forbigger, I am in HK as well, and the latest firmware removes the volume cap.  With wifi on the player should prompt you for an over-the-air update and once installed, you're all set.  After the firmware upgrade, line level output is about 12dB louder than before - quite a difference.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #6,405 of 16,326
A DAP is worthless without streaming in 2015. It is also worthless if it does not run Android. With more phones live V10 and G5 they might fade out anyway. That's why I like my DP-X1 so much, it does so many things well that phones to match its SQ are probably 3-5 years away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back