ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #6,361 of 16,326
As noted, this is 2.5mm TRRS female to 3.5mm TRS male adapter.  This specific adapter doesn't let you connect a SE cable (terminated in 3.5mm TRS) to a 2.5mm TRRS source.  You would need a 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter to do this (this adapter does the opposite).  And while you CAN make such an adapter, it's a really bad idea, and it would likely cause you to break your device.  You really should not be plugging in a single ended cable with a shared common ground into a balanced source.

This adapter is designed to let you use your balanced cables with a single-ended device, rather that for letting you use single-ended cables on a balanced device.  Just thought I'd clarify my statement a little bit.  Such an adapter CAN be made, but it probably shouldn't be, and this adapter doesn't do it.

Agreed about it for every points. That is why having a balanced headphones is always better than having SE headphones ! My bad I didn't really look at what he was referring to :p

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #6,362 of 16,326
Not a problem!  Just wanted to make sure it was clarified out there for other people reading the thread (or in the future) so that people didn't think it was okay to plug a SE cable into a balanced output and wonder why their device stopped working. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #6,363 of 16,326
I believed Kaneda of PJ told that he put the value of the package around 21,000 Yen. He also suggested not to use FedEx since I get to pay more but ending up almost the same days arriving just like EMS.

The advantage here with Fedex is that they deliver the package and charge the customs duties afterwards. My DAP is currently sitting in a delivery depot 5 mins away from my house, but until I get the letter advising me of the customs charges and then pay them, it won't be delivered. Hopefully the letter will arrive tomorrow, allowing me to pay tomorrow night and arrange delivery for Friday.

Incidentally, my tracking showed 'Customs charges raised' and then the next day 'Revised customs charges raised', so I suspect that they didn't believe Kaneda's declared value and have determined the true value on which to base their charges.

So I'll have no money to go out this weekend ... but I'll be happy to stay in and listen to my DP-X1  
darthsmile.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #6,364 of 16,326
  Hi guys a q. I tried to skim through pages but probably missed the answer

my 4 main cans are: bd-880, akg 701's and I am considering lcd-3 or he-1000.  My main goal is to use this player (If I get one) via 2.5mm balanced.

I assume that lcd-3 / he-1000 are already balanced, and just need a lcd-3 cable with 2.5mm balanced end and same for he-1000.

and for bd-880 and akg-701, i actually need to custom review cups for balanced output?>  thank you

can someone comment on my q above, please :)

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #6,366 of 16,326
You can order the 2.5 mm TRRS balanced cable from Impact Audio Cables which are excellent in SQ. But you have to order through Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

that was my plan, but my question is: will it work straight away in balanced mode with lcd-3 and he1000 or is there some work needed to be done in the cups to make them balanced?

(i assume it will need work for bd-880 and akg-701)?

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #6,368 of 16,326
  can someone comment on my q above, please :)

My 5 cent:

akg 701's  : SE should not have enough power, I did SE with K712 with good result however.

lcd-3 : I don't think even balanced will have enough power to drive it.

he-1000: I don't think even balanced will have enough power to drive it.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,371 of 16,326

My 5 cent:

akg 701's  : SE should not have enough power, I did SE with K712 with good result however.

lcd-3 : I don't think even balanced will have enough power to drive it.

he-1000: I don't think even balanced will have enough power to drive it.

I think the HE 1000 can be driven balanced. The 400i is driven quite well I thought balanced and if I remember correctly the HE 1000 is even easier to drive, but I might be mistaken. There are accounts of people driving them from an iPhone.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #6,372 of 16,326
Not on the list, but I can verify that the Edition X is driven quite nicely in non-balanced. Had a loaner  Edition X come through, and I was quite impressed with the combo. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #6,374 of 16,326
I think the HE 1000 can be driven balanced. The 400i is driven quite well I thought balanced and if I remember correctly the HE 1000 is even easier to drive, but I might be mistaken. There are accounts of people driving them from an iPhone.

Perhaps the HE1000 can be driven well by the DP-X1 in balanced mode, but you can't really base that off of how well it drives a 400i. Having both the 400i and the HE1000, I can definitely say that the HE1000 is quite a bit more difficult to power (though I wouldn't say the HE1000 is extremely hard to drive).

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #6,375 of 16,326

Perhaps the HE1000 can be driven well by the DP-X1 in balanced mode, but you can't really base that off of how well it drives a 400i. Having both the 400i and the HE1000, I can definitely say that the HE1000 is quite a bit more difficult to power (though I wouldn't say the HE1000 is extremely hard to drive).

Good to know, but I have read impressions from people saying right from a smartphone it is entirely possible to drive the HE 1000. I'm sure it wasn't optimally driven, but nonetheless, it is advertised as even smartphone friendly unless I'm missing something. Maybe I'm mistaking this with the Edition X? Looking at a sensitivity of 90db the 1000 is not very sensitive and I wouldn't consider it smartphone territory just based on that. I wonder what I read that led me to think otherwise? Now I've confused myself.

While not a massive difference, the extra 4db of sensitivity the 400i has is likely audible enough, but the 1000 could be driven on the DP-X1 balanced, but it wouldn't be very loud or have much headroom I suspect. Still, possible.

Yes, it was the Edition X that was advertised as smartphone friendly, my bad. It is supposed to have a decent sensitivity of 103db so that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back