ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5,251 of 16,328
  ..finally received the DP-X1 today, along with a glass screen protector. 

Nice, so what headphones/IEM will you be using with it?

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,254 of 16,328
  My relaxing headphone is the HD700 combined sometimes with Sony's PHA3.  My exercise will be the standard iPOD IEM, my get out and go will be the bluetooth/wired ZiK 3.0's.

Nice selections, I'm waiting for my Bluetooth XTZ Divine which should be here on Monday. I'm stoked as the Divine is supposed to be excellent.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #5,256 of 16,328
Is it just me only that I prefer my HD800 modded out of Onkyo on balanced ACG over Mojo + Onkyo? ...

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #5,257 of 16,328
Is it just me only that I prefer my HD800 modded out of Onkyo on balanced ACG over Mojo + Onkyo? ...

Thought the Mojo > HD800 unmodded gave a dry, lean sound lacking bass slam, but I listened to it only a few minutes.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #5,258 of 16,328

Onkyo DP-X1 Review

Thought I'd put in my two cents since receiving my unit two weeks ago. Being the newbie to the audiophile and Head-Fi scene, I'm going to give the most blunt review I can. Apologies for the non-initiated tone in this review.

Build: Honestly; even given the concern of the non-secured/loose jacks (mainly the balanced jack), this think is a rock. Beautifully utilitarian; it has a very "sharp", yet luxurious feel. It reminds me very much of a Lamborghini; angular and high-end finish with subtle smooth touches such as the volume-knob dip in the chassis. The buttons feel solid, look good, and press in with a nice muted 'click'. The volume knob, while not as high-end feeling after a week of use; is very precise and serves its function well. As for the aforementioned "loose jacks", while I do see people's concern, I do not consider it a major issue. I likely will try one of those "fixes" mentioned in the forum, but if you aren't being rough with it, it's no different than many other jacks I've worked with on other high-end electronics and will likely last for years if treated gently.

Usability: (this includes UI). The device is nearly a PURE Android experience. Coming from a Device IT and gadget technology background, this is a Godsend. Most companies opt to change the already VERY good Google Android UI (ala Samsung, HTC, and the modifications and pointless apps that Verizon et'all loves to cram on their phones). The Onkyo DP-X1 is a near perfect representation of Google's vision albeit with the necessary modifications to interact with the DACs and volume controls. It is a subtle mod. The only thing I wish they did is actually bring those mods a little more forward - i.e. for the DAC controls (SLOW, FAST, SHORT and timing mods) I wish they made them accessible from the drop-down notification tray instead of under the Audio and Notification section of the Settings. The Audio Player is actually phenomenal. With the exception of folder browsing (something that I understand is coming and which I don't find urgent) the UI is very intuitive. SO much so, that my brother-in-law who has never used a DAP in his life took to it and started song playback without any input from me within seconds. It's easy to adjust settings in the app, get to a song quickly, and jog to a point in the song easily. The playback UI is very pretty and futuristic without being annoying and still remaining functional.

Audio: So this is what you buy a Hi-Res DAP for anyway, so how does it sound coming from a Zune HD and an LG V10 (which uses a version of the DACs seen in this DAP)? In word; wonderful. I won't go so far as to say it is the best thing I've ever heard in my life (and when you hear what I'm listening to it with, you'll know why), but it does add a new spark to my music. My taste in music is as follows; anything but twangy country or reggae. I listen to a little of everything: Pop, Classic Rock, Folk, Indie Rock, Jazz, Classical, Hip-Hop, Experimental Electronic (usually involving strings of some sort ala Lindsey Sterling, Piano Guys, etc). Most of what I throw at it sounds just great. Sound signature (again, from the un-initiated newbie audiophile) is warm where it needs to be, crisp where it counts, and punchy without being harsh. The bass is smooth but not slushy, mids fairly pronounced, and highs are defined. While I normally like a slightly warmer overall sound, this is damn close and very satisfying especially on the "SLOW" DAC setting. I am listening to it with a pair of Polk 'Buckle' headphones which they themselves have always been a little too bass-y but seem to come alive properly with this DAP. I am looking forward to finding a good pair of IEMs or re-cabling a pair of headphones for TRRS output connection.

Misc: Probably the best thing about this device is all the OTHER things it does so well. Tidal, Pocket Casts, Audible, and more - all do so well on this. The screen is gorgeous for a DAP so video podcasts look great. Small Android games play very well and anything that I've thrown at it runs great (web browsing, etc).

For the money, (I paid $650) this is probably my favorite piece of electronics I've bought in a long time. SO much fun to just use and transports oneself to a soundscape that can't be beat for the price.
I give it a 4 out of 5.
Cheers!

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #5,259 of 16,328
Got the DP-X1 since few days now. What is the consensus about the battery optimization ?
I'm losing most of my charge on "idle", around 10% drain after a day without usage and with Wi-Fi off. Is it supposed to settle after a week or so as they say about android devices ?
(my google account sync is off)

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #5,260 of 16,328
Got the DP-X1 since few days now. What is the consensus about the battery optimization ?
I'm losing most of my charge on "idle", around 10% drain after a day without usage and with Wi-Fi off. Is it supposed to settle after a week or so as they say about android devices ?

Thanks.

Mine with airplane mode on all the time, and standalone mode enabled when idling, about 1% drop every 6 hrs.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #5,261 of 16,328

Thanks.

Even if Google account sync is off there are a bunch of Google apps running in the background.  You can go into settings and disable a lot of them.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #5,264 of 16,328
Can you provide details of using modded HD800 on 2.5 onkyo directly? That sounds interesting.

wait lol? i mean you just plug in and play , does it need any instruction ?  You need a specific balanced cable for Onkyo as mentioned in the thread .

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #5,265 of 16,328
  Even if Google account sync is off there are a bunch of Google apps running in the background.  You can go into settings and disable a lot of them.

THIS!  I would highly recommend doing this.  And this is what I meant by a very stock Google Android UI - almost everything is untouched; even the stuff that maybe should have been. 

Long-press and drag the apps such as Gmail, Google Play Books, etc from the app tray up to "App Info" when it appears at the top then select "Disable".  Easy way to get rid of them and keep them from unnecessarily phoning home and draining battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back