ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #5,191 of 16,326
If
I briefly compared the Onkyo DP-X1 + E12A to my Fiio X5 + E12A and sadly I still prefer the X5 warmth and overall sound.

My test settings:

3.5mm port & 2.5mm balanced tested.
"DSP function" checked
Equalizer is set to custom in a "U" shape to match the X5 "pop" EQ setting.
A.C.G
Digital Filter : Slow
Up-sampling : off

I will continue to test, but I still prefer the X5 / X7 + E12A sound more. :happy_face1:

Question: Can custom equalizer presets be exported/imported?
if you want to sell your DP-X1 please pm me

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #5,192 of 16,326
Feb 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,193 of 16,326
  I briefly compared the Onkyo DP-X1 + E12A to my Fiio X5 + E12A and sadly I still prefer the X5 warmth and overall sound.

My test settings:

3.5mm port & 2.5mm balanced tested.
"DSP function" checked
Equalizer is set to custom in a "U" shape to match the X5 "pop" EQ setting.
A.C.G
Digital Filter : Slow
Up-sampling : off

I will continue to test, but I still prefer the X5 / X7 + E12A sound more.
happy_face1.gif

Question: Can custom equalizer presets be exported/imported?

Don't waste your time, if you prefer the warmth of the E12A (that is what is providing the warmth) just sell the DP-X1. No EQ is going to change that.  Your brain is used to a warmer signature and that is what it likes. I had an E12A for about 2 years so I know the signature well. I prefer the Onkyo, but that is personal preference of course. At least you know what you like right? Cheers.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #5,196 of 16,326

Don't waste your time, if you prefer the warmth of the E12A (that is what is providing the warmth) just sell the DP-X1. No EQ is going to change that.  Your brain is used to a warmer signature and that is what it likes. I had an E12A for about 2 years so I know the signature well. I prefer the Onkyo, but that is personal preference of course. At least you know what you like right? Cheers.

Actually, its not just the E12A that provides the warmth. What you combine it with is also important. (Although, it improves the sound of any device)

The X5 + E12A (bass boost on) combination = warm toasty booming bass! and angels singing  sweetly.
The X7 + E12A (bass boost on) combination = warm toasty booming bass! and angels singing  sweetly.
The DP-X1 + E12A (bass boost on) combination = warm bass (not as smooth, warm and heavy as with a Fiio device) and angels singing (too much high)

The X5 + Mojo combination = good strong bass (kinda rough) and angels singing (too much high), more clarity and detail. Nice Lights! 

The X7 + Mojo combination = good strong bass (kinda rough) and angels singing (too much high), more clarity and detail. Nice Lights!

The DP-X1 + Mojo combination = good strong bass (kinda rough) and angels singing (too much high) more clarity and detail. Nice Lights!

The DP-X1 standalone 2.5mm balanced or 3.5mm = good strong bass (still kinda rough) and angels singing (too much high) more clarity and detail.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #5,197 of 16,326
Not sure I agree that warmer is always an improvement, and certainly can't agree that the E12A improves all devices. Still, typically a little warmth helps, but based on what I see there you really have your brain acclimated to quite a bit of warmth. Each to their own as they say. I will assume that you are younger than me if you find the treble too much on the DP-X1 as that seems to suggest young very acute hearing. And last, what headphone/IEM do you use? If you use a bright headphone or IEM that might explain some of your need to add warmth through bass.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #5,201 of 16,326
So I finally got my dpx1!! Ordered 7 Jan from price Japan and got it today. First impressions are that the sound from both the stock player and Tidal are amazing. Loving it! Looks good and sounds wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back