ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 8, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #5,071 of 16,326
The 2.5 jack seems to be loose after a while now. Any efficient solution to patch it up? mine was originally bent toward 1 side lol....I did jam some paper in there to help but it's not stable...

The jack on my zx2 was like a freaking tank and i even got a right-angled cable but hell damn no right-angle exist for 2.5 now....

It is on easybay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ONKYO-DP-X1-Hi-Res-Sound-Digital-Audio-Player-32GB-with-DAC-Headphone-Amp-/262268770720?hash=item3d106fd9a0:g:hLcAAOSwJb9WrZuk
Too much money though.  Setup a paypally account and then setup a zenmarket.jp account and shop for it in Japan for around $500.00 minimum.  Choose Fedex for shipping and get it within 7 days.  Mine comes in this  Thursday :)  Zenmarket.jp has links to several external online Japanese shops.  1. at zenmarket's site - look for the player, 2. paste the url in zenmarket's online form. 3. you will have to pay for it through paypal.  3. They will order it for you and bring it back to zenmarket. 4. you have to choose and pay for shipping.  If you want it quickly, you should go to the zenmarket website and learn how to use it...  I'd say, It can be in your hands in about two weeks.  Fedex is the fastest, but EMS is just a few dollars cheaper, but also slower.

This is the first time I've seen someone saying they get it around 500 for the past 4 months which seems impossible to me . maybe this is the rarest case or just got lucky. The lowest price on Kakaku already passed 600 mark month ago

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #5,072 of 16,326

Why don't you wait for a proper ver coming out in US in April ? The current ver is so so which contains many issues with build quality and software....not to mention the hassle of getting balanced cable for many newcomers 
I'm curious, how did you know about this player as you just joined this forum recently as for this player purposely? There are X7, QP1R, ZX2...etc why this? It's not even being mentioned around in western media.

I have some "special needs" for a "special occasion". :wink:. It seems i am going on a holiday for some time and need some entertainment while "relaxing" for a while.

I need a player of some type  - - that does NOT have a CAMERA or SIM card onboard --  not necessarily this particular DAP - but this DP X1 seems to be the only thing out there that meets my requirements.

My first search was for an Android tablet. But they ALL have a camera and a good number have a sim card as well. So thats not going to fly.

Then i came across the Nook HD+  ....meets my requirements but has to be rooted and it has tons and ton of negative reviews with lots of failures....no good to me because i wont be able to do anything about while I am on holidays. So i will end up stuck bored witless looking at the walls for ......hmmm, well sometime because the player broke. So no good on that one.

Then i came across the SONY ZX2. Very pricey but seemed to do what i wanted. But small screen with lower res then the Dp X1 and old version of Android - how long before things dont work on that version of Android ? 1 year, 2 or 3 years? Then what?

So then i came across the Pioneer version of the DAP X1. Seemed to be the answer. But again more expensive then the DP X1.

That led me to learning about the DP X1 - higher quality sound, 2 DACs etc etc.  Lower price too. So been fixated on that ever since. Its been a week now that i spend my days hunting down every bit of info i can on this DAP. 

My needs are;

Must be Android based - 5.0 or better
be able to play music files,
be able to play Video files on a decent size mini screen - DP X1 seems ideal to me with its size screen and 720p res.
be able to play audio books - ideal for late at night to "read" a book when lights are out.
be able to read e-books the old fashioned way during the day.
be able to listen to pod casts - will never get bored as there are so many "casts" i subscribe to on all manner of issues/topics.

nice to have...... an Android OS to play around on.

Storage onboard - the Onkyo and Pioneer are real winners in this respect. 2 x SDXC slots for 400GB of storage. I've spent the weekend reading up on the latest methods of ripping and encoding (its been a while - i used to be a mad "ripper" some years ago and was most often found on Doom9 back in the day). Seems H265 is ideal for this device - lowbitrate encodes to give good quality. A BR torrent comes in at around 3GB. I then encode that down to around 1GB using H265 ....this DAP supporting H265 is a GODSEND to me. So around 180-ish movies on one SDXC card. Thats a lot of viewing time.

So when all the above is taken into consideration...what other device is there out there that comes anywhere close to this *WITHOUT A CAMERA* onboard?

This seems to be the ideal device to me.

Yes i joined purely to ask about this DAP.

JJ

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #5,073 of 16,326
  It is on easybay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ONKYO-DP-X1-Hi-Res-Sound-Digital-Audio-Player-32GB-with-DAC-Headphone-Amp-/262268770720?hash=item3d106fd9a0:g:hLcAAOSwJb9WrZuk
Too much money though.  Setup a paypally account and then setup a zenmarket.jp account and shop for it in Japan for around $500.00 minimum.  Choose Fedex for shipping and get it within 7 days.  Mine comes in this  Thursday :)  Zenmarket.jp has links to several external online Japanese shops.  1. at zenmarket's site - look for the player, 2. paste the url in zenmarket's online form. 3. you will have to pay for it through paypal.  3. They will order it for you and bring it back to zenmarket. 4. you have to choose and pay for shipping.  If you want it quickly, you should go to the zenmarket website and learn how to use it...  I'd say, It can be in your hands in about two weeks.  Fedex is the fastest, but EMS is just a few dollars cheaper, but also slower.

Thanks Hitech.

Probably not going to help me ...big day tomorrow.......I can order it in but no way to get it delivered to me locally while on holidays. *Sigh*

Still, going to check it all out and see how to order it from Japan and how it all works. May as well.

Thanks again for the heads up.

JJ

You will be able to order it right away as soon as you find out about just having a year probation :)  Keep the positive thoughts....

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #5,074 of 16,326
  The 2.5 jack seems to be loose after a while now. Any efficient solution to patch it up? mine was originally bent toward 1 side lol....I did jam some paper in there to help but it's not stable...

The jack on my zx2 was like a freaking tank and i even got a right-angled cable but hell damn no right-angle exist for 2.5 now....

This is the first time I've seen someone saying they get it around 500 for the past 4 months which seems impossible to me . maybe this is the rarest case or just got lucky. The lowest price on Kakaku already passed 600 mark month ago

If I remember correctly it was around $568.  I was pissed 'cause I got it for 6 something and didn't bump into the other site until later.  If a significant better U.S. one comes in, I'll just do a ebay switch and lose maybe a hundred bucks.  The aftermarket 2.5 jack for my hd 700 - I Hate.  I didn't build it myself.  I would re-solder the wires, then fill with hot glue. If you are talking about the Onkyo, I plan to put some black silicon around it if it is a problem.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #5,075 of 16,326

You will be able to order it right away as soon as you find out about just having a year probation :)  Keep the positive thoughts....

Thanks for the sentiment Hitec.......

Just having a quiet day today. Packing everything up, sending the dogs to good homes .....that type of thing. Going to enjoy a slap up meal tonight. 

Dammm..... i wish i could get my hands on this player. I am currently thinking of getting my Son back Home to get it for me and bring it to me when he gets time off work to come visit me. Will have to email all the instructions to him. He is a capable lad, I am sure he will work it all out.

Is it worth waiting for the April US edition then?

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #5,076 of 16,326

I have some "special needs" for a "special occasion". :wink:. It seems i am going on a holiday for some time and need some entertainment while "relaxing" for a while.

I need a player of some type  - - that does NOT have a CAMERA or SIM card onboard --  not necessarily this particular DAP - but this DP X1 seems to be the only thing out there that meets my requirements.

My first search was for an Android tablet. But they ALL have a camera and a good number have a sim card as well. So thats not going to fly.

Then i came across the Nook HD+  ....meets my requirements but has to be rooted and it has tons and ton of negative reviews with lots of failures....no good to me because i wont be able to do anything about while I am on holidays. So i will end up stuck bored witless looking at the walls for ......hmmm, well sometime because the player broke. So no good on that one.

Then i came across the SONY ZX2. Very pricey but seemed to do what i wanted. But small screen with lower res then the Dp X1 and old version of Android - how long before things dont work on that version of Android ? 1 year, 2 or 3 years? Then what?

So then i came across the Pioneer version of the DAP X1. Seemed to be the answer. But again more expensive then the DP X1.

That led me to learning about the DP X1 - higher quality sound, 2 DACs etc etc.  Lower price too. So been fixated on that ever since. Its been a week now that i spend my days hunting down every bit of info i can on this DAP. 

My needs are;

Must be Android based - 5.0 or better
be able to play music files,
be able to play Video files on a decent size mini screen - DP X1 seems ideal to me with its size screen and 720p res.
be able to play audio books - ideal for late at night to "read" a book when lights are out.
be able to read e-books the old fashioned way during the day.
be able to listen to pod casts - will never get bored as there are so many "casts" i subscribe to on all manner of issues/topics.

nice to have...... an Android OS to play around on.

Storage onboard - the Onkyo and Pioneer are real winners in this respect. 2 x SDXC slots for 400GB of storage. I've spent the weekend reading up on the latest methods of ripping and encoding (its been a while - i used to be a mad "ripper" some years ago and was most often found on Doom9 back in the day). Seems H265 is ideal for this device - lowbitrate encodes to give good quality. A BR torrent comes in at around 3GB. I then encode that down to around 1GB using H265 ....this DAP supporting H265 is a GODSEND to me. So around 180-ish movies on one SDXC card. Thats a lot of viewing time.

So when all the above is taken into consideration...what other device is there out there that comes anywhere close to this *WITHOUT A CAMERA* onboard?

This seems to be the ideal device to me.

Yes i joined purely to ask about this DAP.

JJ

It seems you are fixed on OS 5.0 but the OS on ZX2 is not that bad like you would think and most people still write apps for it. I don't use it for video or streaming etc but if you need those plus big battery , ZX2 is a winner (It can run like 30 hours whereas DP-X1 not even 8 hours) . ZX2 OS is not slow or sluggish at all and the build quality of ZX2 is already better than DP-X1. ( I hope you don't use a DAP for more than 5 years so there is no point in worrying about future app compatible)

On my DP-X1, everything is turned off. Location service, wifi, brightness 0 and yet the battery still drops like crazy. I only use it for my offline music. I can't imagine if you would use it for online streaming though.

Anyways, if you are fixed on this DAP, wait for proper release in US with proper warranty in US and without any issues with build. Don't risk buying it without warranty, send it back without proper agent in Japan is a pain.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #5,077 of 16,326

Thanks for the sentiment Hitec.......

Just having a quiet day today. Packing everything up, sending the dogs to good homes .....that type of thing. Going to enjoy a slap up meal tonight. 

Dammm..... i wish i could get my hands on this player. I am currently thinking of getting my Son back Home to get it for me and bring it to me when he gets time off work to come visit me. Will have to email all the instructions to him. He is a capable lad, I am sure he will work it all out.

Is it worth waiting for the April US edition then?

I would say no.  Reason being, after you wait, they will probably have DP-X2 out.  ..just kidding, but you know what I mean.  ..there is always another step to wait for..  ..enjoy what you can as soon as you can.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #5,078 of 16,326

EMS can be just in 5-7 days, also japanese use this method of shipment most of all, fedex is not so popular in japan.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #5,079 of 16,326
Of course, it depends on where in the world you are.....

EMS would never work here, even though we do have it here. The package would most likely get pilfered here long before I ever saw it. At least. with FEDEX I know I *will* get the package.

But i agree its a pain to have to buy it this way. I would much prefer to buy it in the States and have it sent out to me.

...........But, if anyone happens to be going on Safari anytime soon and going thru this neck of the woods........ :wink:

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #5,080 of 16,326
  Hitec,

Any hints on which shops/sites in Jpn i should be looking at - a quick browse shows me the price to be around 68,0000 to 70,000 YEN - approx $600 USD.

Where are these DAPS at around $500-ish ? 

I do understand your comments above are only a guide so i am not saying you said i can expect to get it at around 500...... just wondering if you have any sites that i could look at with better pricing then what i am seeing so far.

Thanks

1. use google chrome browser with translation settings japanese to english
2. japanese "price.com" http://kakaku.com/item/K0000820303/ you can check actual price at this moment from all japanese shops.
3.  price history http://kakaku.com/item/K0000820303/pricehistory/
4. copy / past link from shop you like to zenmarket.jp page.
5. EMS is usual way

for actual Yen\ US$  - use currency converter  xe.com   so 66760 yen now is   568.65$

and finally promo code with 500yen is still available - use it when register on zenmarket F868CDAA

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,081 of 16,326
  1. use google chrome browser with translation settings japanese to english
2. japanese "price.com" http://kakaku.com/item/K0000820303/ you can check actual price at this moment from all japanese shops.
3.  price history http://kakaku.com/item/K0000820303/pricehistory/
4. copy / past link from shop you like to zenmarket.jp page.
5. EMS is usual way

for actual Yen\ US$  - use currency converter  xe.com   so 66760 yen now is   568.65$

and finally promo code with 500yen is still available - use it when register on zenmarket F868CDAA

..there you go.... tks mazzy..
..wish I saw it when I first searched..

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #5,084 of 16,326
For those who are interested the Onkyo E900M IEM is released in Hong Kong with listed HKD3299 (included the 2.5 balanced cable).

One of my friend tried first hand, impression is good pair with dp-x1.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,085 of 16,326
@jim jones, whatever you end up with, and when, hope you enjoy it. Despite what you may hear, the actual reports of issues with the DP-X1 seem to be somewhat exaggerated. By far and away, most people find the UI decent, certainly not ideal, but quite useable. The jack issue is hard to make out. Most people agree the tolerances for a tight fit are not up to the standard we would expect; however, in terms of actually having any impact, only a small number of people have reported issues beyond the disappointment with the poor aesthetics. My battery life is awesome, in idle for instance, it is easily 48 hours. Play time is harder for me to gauge as I have many shorter sessions, but I play it loud so certainly hits the battery. I also frequently change material being played so the screen is on and off adding to the impact on the battery. I don't play high-resolution files so in that respect I will be using the battery less than say somebody who is using the DAC and CPU harder playing high-resolution files.

I'm not saying anybody should ignore the voices of those who have expressed issues, but I am saying you should take the totality of the experiences into account and not make knee-jerk reactions based on what does seem to be a small sample of unhappy customers. I'm not sure what is behind the decline in complaints, there were a few vocal people with complaints, but the number of people doing so has declined. That could mean some of them sold their Onkyo, maybe they don't find the issues really a big enough deal to keep reporting, who knows, I certainly don't. Trying to avoid being the dreaded and much maligned "fan-boy", but I don't have a problem publically saying I am quite satisfied with my Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back