ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #4,981 of 16,328
  what type of files you use?
Flac, Dsd?

my collection DSD taken from LP 80% is on place
just use media go or tag&rename - all files will be on place 

ALAC files made from my CD rips.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,983 of 16,328
  Just write a note here in case it may help someone. After a week of email conversation with ONKYO customer support team and followed their suggestions, nothing can help the two issues that I am facing when connecting DP-X1 to Chord Hugo. DP-X1 works fine with anything below 192kHz and I like the audio quality as well, with or without DAC. The balanced output to Sony Z5 is great!. Unfortunately, when replaying DSF/DFF files and the output is set to DoP, there are occasional, random playback pauses for around 1s. The second issue is that if the output is set to the highest sampling supported by the DAC, it would be 384kHz in Hugo's case. Quite often after a few minutes, pretty random though, the output turns into white noise. I have tried different OTG cables but in vain. The Hugo works fine for any format playback using HF Player for iPhone/iPad for year. I actually installed the HF Player for Android on DP-X1 but the problems are still there. 

In particular I am pretty disappointed with their quality of support. They don't even bother to find a Hugo to test it but quote comments from unnamed forum that Hugo has the random pause issue with Mac. 

Upgraded to the latest firmware. The PCM384kHz white noise issue seems to be resolved. The DoP issue is still here, just less frequent apparently. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #4,990 of 16,328
Thoughts from Day-1:

Onkyo DP-X1 looks smaller than what pics suggest. Fits my medium-sized palm. 15% smaller than OnePlus One. Light weight. Good build. UI is not so bad as some described. Smooth enough. Folder browsing and USB DAC functionally will happen in the coming months through FW update, I know. Just copied music and a few movies into 200GB card. Third party apps are yet to get to use its Sabre DACs. Don't have any balanced headphones. Can only talk about single-ended output.

Most of my music, again, doesn't go beyond 320kbps mp3s and FLACs. A few DSD files of classic rock, that's all. Listened to a few random tracks for just a few minutes. Initial newlywed impressions: big soundstage from where I come, the Sony Walkman pen drive, my only past DAP;  the so called dark background seems to be true; is true, actually; instruments seemed like they were on a caffeine kick - fast, accurate and unapologetic; flab-free i.e nothing seemed to be overlapping with anything else among lows, mids and highs; no-bloat; only-gloat; musicality is there but the cold precision of Sabre chips were felt more distinctly than natural musicality - although I can't see a big difference between them two - it's not like dating a woman vs dating an OS; neutrality is what I guess I appreciate where I am in life now and it is offered without any reservations - a bit warm headphones than a neutral ones might be a good match, though; beyerdynamic DT 1350 was driven with authority and coldly as if two sharp knives crossed each other; will try DT 1770 PRO later tonight with additional amping and DUNU DN-2000J tomorrow. Feels like somebody cleaned my windowpanes. Sky is clear.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,991 of 16,328
@Subhakar, absolutely, although I wouldn't call the Onkyo cold, it just isn't very warm, and it is detailed. This is a Sabre DAC so no surprises there. Those who really like a mellow, less detailed presentation will probably not be quite as thrilled. Again, pair it with a warmer headphone and the combination is spectacular. Frankly, I'm not really generally in love with super detail, but the Onkyo doesn't give me any fatigue at all. I actually really enjoy the level of detail. Sure it might be nice to have a portable Schiit Yggy DAC in a DAP, but that ain't going to happen. Anyway, I think with a warmer headphone, plus a little time you will start to appreciate what the Onkyo brings to the table.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,992 of 16,328
  @Subhakar, absolutely, although I wouldn't call the Onkyo cold, it just isn't very warm, and it is detailed. This is a Sabre DAC so no surprises there. Those who really like a mellow, less detailed presentation will probably not be quite as thrilled. Again, pair it with a warmer headphone and the combination is spectacular. Frankly, I'm not really generally in love with super detail, but the Onkyo doesn't give me any fatigue at all. I actually really enjoy the level of detail. Sure it might be nice to have a portable Schiit Yggy DAC in a DAP, but that ain't going to happen. Anyway, I think with a warmer headphone, plus a little time you will start to appreciate what the Onkyo brings to the table.

+1 that's exactly what I have been saying about the DP-X1 / warm headphones it makes for a superb experience :)
DP-X1 is a tad warmer than the XDP-100 for those who hesitate between the two.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,993 of 16,328

By cold, I mean cold as in 'cold precision' (neutral/linear); not  as in cold, the opposite of warm (bass). I do love it this way, in fact, myself. And yes, you are right, details ARE beautifully felt - I can't mistake the swoosh of ten swords for one when DP-X1 plays it. Instrument separation is indeed great. It's almost like taking a roll call. :) If only I could afford those super-efficient headphones and IEMs priced above 1K, I could appreciate this DAP a lot more... hoping to spot a deal on UERM or FitEar-TG334 or Ether C.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,994 of 16,328

By cold, I mean cold as in 'cold precision' (neutral/linear); not  as in cold, the opposite of warm (bass). I do love it this way, in fact, myself. And yes, you are right, details ARE beautifully felt - I can't mistake the swoosh of ten swords for one when DP-X1 plays it. Instrument separation is indeed great. It's almost like taking a roll call. :) If only I could afford those super-efficient headphones and IEMs priced above 1K, I could appreciate this DAP a lot more... hoping to spot a deal on UERM or FitEar-TG334 or Ether C.

A great pairing would be the Oppo PM3 which I use. Quite affordable until the Ether C comes into reach for you. I had PETEREK make me a 4 foot balanced cable for the PM3 and it is a sublime combination. You get planar yumminess with slightly softened Sabre detail. Very, very rewarding experience and my guess is you would very much like this combination.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,995 of 16,328

+1 that's exactly what I have been saying about the DP-X1 / warm headphones it makes for a superb experience :)
DP-X1 is a tad warmer than the XDP-100 for those who hesitate between the two.

Yes indeed, I noted that you are also on the same page where this synergy is concerned. Man would I like to try the Nighthawk and U12, lucky person. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back