ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 27, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #4,366 of 16,326
Well my device has finally arrived 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Has anyone got any tips re installing the screen protector, as all the instructions are in Japanese I'm a bit wary of just trying trial and error! Haven't turned it on yet but real impression of quality...ignoring the possible issue of the headphone sockets!!.. although there doesn't appear to be excessive gaps on mine and clearance seems consistent on both sockets. X1 engraving is yellow

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #4,368 of 16,326
Cheers. Many thanks for that helpful explanation.

I'll google around for adapters. What would they be called?

You just need to purchase a cable with the appropriate connector and wiring.
You can also get an adapter (with balanced connector for the female, and 3.5mm male connector) to essentially use the same cable for single ended connection.
The opposite is not possible tho.

The cost of such a journey entirely depends on you.
On one hand, you have relatively affordable cables which range from $100-200, and on the other you have cables that may cost upwards of $700.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #4,369 of 16,326

Adapter

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/norne-audio-cable-cables-hypershort-ultrashort-eidolic-balanced-trrs-4-pole-female-3-5mm-rhodium-astell-and-kern-a-k-adapter-direct-soldered-conversion

Is balanced worth it ? Hell yes...is it worth the price of upto $700 ? Lol....don't ask me...my balanced cables is never gonna break my bank

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #4,370 of 16,326
Champion!

Adapter

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/norne-audio-cable-cables-hypershort-ultrashort-eidolic-balanced-trrs-4-pole-female-3-5mm-rhodium-astell-and-kern-a-k-adapter-direct-soldered-conversion

Is balanced worth it ? Hell yes...is it worth the price of upto $700 ? Lol....don't ask me...my balanced cables is never gonna break my bank

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #4,371 of 16,326

It's an adapter with "balanced connector" female, 3.5mm TRS male connector.
In this case, it would be 2.5mm TRRS female and 3.5mm TRS male.
I don't think its commonplace atm, you might want to get an aftermarket cable maker to make one for you.

For a budget option, this is the lowest price I've seen for such an adapter:
http://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players
I do find these rather unwieldy for portable use tho, a matching cable adapter would be a better option imo.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #4,372 of 16,326

What the differences to your ears?
Which headphones/IEM?

I ask because first I thought the difference would be more drastic between SE and balanced but I must say differences are not as night and day as my PHA-3 was. I'd say the singled ended output is very good already, and I see 3 main areas where balanced brings some more goodness : soundstage (although not the biggest improvement as I would have expected), imaging and layering (that's where it truly shines balanced IMHO) and separation.

Also I think differences depend quite a bit on the headphones / IEM you pair the DP-X1 with.

SE - Soundstage is congested, bass is heavier , loss of micro details compared to Balanced ACG
My headphones : HD800, JH13FP both are with Litz silver/copper

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #4,373 of 16,326
SE - Soundstage is congested, bass is heavier , loss of micro details compared to Balanced ACG
My headphones : HD800, JH13FP both are with Litz silver/copper

Agree with you there, just think it's not a bad performance in SE either, those headphones sure will make differences quite apparent no questions!

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #4,374 of 16,326
I ordered my Onkyo when it was first released and received it quickly from Japan. Have a weird issue though, everything I connect to the 3.5mm is loose. Cables pop out with little movement. I've tried a variety of headphones and interconnect cables.

It's got to be a random issue, right? I'm bummed because it's not returnable, and after using it I decided it wasn't for me but I don't want to sell it to someone and pass the issue on to them.
Facing the same problem...3.5mm is loose

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #4,375 of 16,326
I ordered my Onkyo when it was first released and received it quickly from Japan. Have a weird issue though, everything I connect to the 3.5mm is loose. Cables pop out with little movement. I've tried a variety of headphones and interconnect cables.

It's got to be a random issue, right? I'm bummed because it's not returnable, and after using it I decided it wasn't for me but I don't want to sell it to someone and pass the issue on to them.
Facing the same problem...3.5mm is loose

The 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks have a bit of space around them on mine, but I haven't had any issues with loose jacks or signal interference.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #4,376 of 16,326
It's an adapter with "balanced connector" female, 3.5mm TRS male connector.
In this case, it would be 2.5mm TRRS female and 3.5mm TRS male.
I don't think its commonplace atm, you might want to get an aftermarket cable maker to make one for you.

For a budget option, this is the lowest price I've seen for such an adapter:
http://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players
I do find these rather unwieldy for portable use tho, a matching cable adapter would be a better option imo.
there r cheeper options like the paliccs trrs 2.5mm retails at 4.5sgd thats like approx 3usd :)

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #4,377 of 16,326
there r cheeper options like the paliccs trrs 2.5mm retails at 4.5sgd thats like approx 3usd
smily_headphones1.gif

We are talking about adapters here, not connector plugs.
basshead.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #4,378 of 16,326
My OTA firmware update is still stuck on the 125 firmware and tells me it's up to date. So, sorry but I gotta ask again wrt to flashing the latest firmware onto the DP-X1: I got to the penguin of the recovery mode, but then it's stuck on that screen...even after more than an hour nothing but the penguin... Do I have to wait even longer? (I aborted as I got scared after the 1 hour :)).

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,379 of 16,326
My OTA firmware update is still stuck on the 125 firmware and tells me it's up to date. So, sorry but I gotta ask again wrt to flashing the latest firmware onto the DP-X1: I got to the penguin of the recovery mode, but then it's stuck on that screen...even after more than an hour nothing but the penguin... Do I have to wait even longer? (I aborted as I got scared after the 1 hour :)).

It should load within 1-2min (it did for me).
Did you press the power + skip track button (the two top buttons basically) like I told you to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back