ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,866 of 16,326
What is the big deal with using the control box anyway? I don't mean that in a challenging way, I just don't know how you're using the control box. The KEF M500 is a nice headphone. I only sold mine as they weren't internally balanced and I wanted the balanced option for the Onkyo.

First, I still love my gorgeous sounding KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones; these will still be my primary portable cans with my Onkyo DP-X1, unless I get cash for the Audeze SINE (simply because I already have DHC Zync cable, and that should work with the new SINE headphones too).

Second, the SubPac S2 is not an amp, DAC or any kind of audio device you've heard of.

There are two models, one you can wear (M2, very recently released, an update over the M1), and the S2.

With either model, the control box for each adjusts the intensity (mechanical power) of the device to let you FEEL the bass on your back.
The S2 I have (and is used by artists, DJ's, studio's like Abbey Road Studio's, etc) sits on your chair. You then lean your back to it.

The control box does two to three things.
  • It receives an analogue input from an audio source, and takes only the sub-frequencies. This is then converted to a mechanical response using miniaturised actuators. Think of cinemas with vibrating chairs. This is the SAME TECH, miniaturised!

• If you plug your headphones to the output of the control box, the control box will pass the analogue audio stream (supposedly) unaffected out via 3.5 mm SE.
    In my case I use amps with two outputs, one signal to the control box but I directly connect my headphones to the amp; this way I can have a cleaner signal.

• Or, you can Bluetooth an audio source to the control box and then use it's headphone out. I've used this once as a test, never again as it's of no use to me.

The control box is a central part of the SubPac S2 seatback tactile bass system.

Here's some articles:

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,867 of 16,326
^ Cool sounding device, although it doesn't sound like it is ideal for a wide variety of music, but for games and movies, and likely electronica it must be awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,868 of 16,326
Originally Posted by TheOneInYellow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) unless I get cash for the Audeze SINE (simply because I already have DHC Zync cable, and that should work with the new SINE headphones too).

I hadn't heard about the SINE, you got me interested :)
Oppo PM-3 contender?

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,870 of 16,326
  Damn!!!
Did you win the lottery or something!??

All this money was spent in lieu of winning this weeks lottery @PrinceOfEgypt
Which I didn't so.......
Plan B credit card instead 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
  When you have high-end gear, you tend to pair them with high-end buddies. That's all I've got to say about this hobby. 
biggrin.gif

Indeed, would be sacrilege not too.

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,871 of 16,326
The Sine is on-ear , PM-3 is over the ears!

Erm, they both are over-the-ears but on-ear headphones.

Circumaural headphones are also over-the-ears but completely envelop the ear (AKG K 712, Audeze LCD line, all HiFiman over-the-ears, Sennheiser HD800/HD800s, Beyerdynamic T1 MkII, etc).

---

Yeah davidmolliere the Audeze SINE on-ear headphones were announced st CES 2016 a few days ago! Google all the news!!!
(The Audeze iSINE are planer in-ear earphones that have not been officially announced as of yet).

---

No problem Sonic Defender!
Yes they are amazing for those uses but as long as you properly tune the bass intensity they are great for anything, including classical and jazz pieces (you must reference the bass intensity, but if done you can feel the venue. Almost a feather touch on the intensity).
:D

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #2,872 of 16,326
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,873 of 16,326
Erm, they both are over-the-ears but on-ear headphones.

Circumaural headphones are also over-the-ears but completely envelop the ear (AKG K 712, Audeze LCD line, all HiFiman over-the-ears, Sennheiser HD800/HD800s, Beyerdynamic T1 MkII, etc).

---

Yeah @davidmolliere the Audeze SINE on-ear headphones were announced st CES 2016 a few days ago! Google all the news!!!
(The Audeze iSINE are planer in-ear earphones that have not been officially announced as of yet).

---

No problem @Sonic Defender!
Yes they are amazing for those uses but as long as you properly tune the bass intensity they are great for anything, including classical and jazz pieces (you must reference the bass intensity, but if done you can feel the venue. Almost a feather touch on the intensity).
biggrin.gif

Nice to know, and I can totally see the appeal of this type of gear. At home I run two small REL subs with my speakers so I do love just that right amount of sub-bass. It is nice to know that this type of technology is really so mature already. Likely in 5 years we will see total audiophile versions that can compete with actual through the air sub-woofers.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,874 of 16,326
  Could you not have paid for the faster delivery, or was that not an option at the time? It really isn't that much extra. Why not contact pricejapan and see if you can't pay the difference and get it sooner. That is way too long to wait. Mine shipped two days after I paid and I may even have them by this Friday, although the following Monday is more likely.

No such option when I made an order. :frowning2: However it doesn't matter now since my waiting is almost end. My unit will arrive this afternoon :D

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2,875 of 16,326

No such option when I made an order. :frowning2: However it doesn't matter now since my waiting is almost end. My unit will arrive this afternoon :D

I thought you had written February 12th as the arrival date?

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,876 of 16,326
Does anyone know how to change the gain setting on this? I can't seem to find it.

I just got my unit on Friday, and still in the process of familiarising, as well as enjoying the sound 
bigsmile_face.gif

Another question as well, I believe the stock music player is the HF player (modified?), is it worth sticking to this, or is it worth getting something like Poweramp?

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,877 of 16,326
  I thought you had written February 12th as the arrival date?

Yep, until yesterday the delivery date from FedEx tracking page is Feb 12th, but it seem FedEx decided to deliver my unit earlier than expected.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,878 of 16,326
Yep, until yesterday the delivery date from FedEx tracking page is Feb 12th, but it seem FedEx decided to deliver my unit earlier than expected.

Did you mean January 12?
I find it hard to believe that FedEx would quote a one month delivery time.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,879 of 16,326
Damn!!!
Did you win the lottery or something!??

That's really not that bad. I know someone who bought the FitEar 335, 333, FAD lab 1, noble k10 prestige, Dita truth balanced, tera player, lotoo paw gold, rwak240+, GoVibe portatube, kojo km-01 brass, vorzuge pure 2, Pico power, carrot one nik58 tube, chord Hugo, and a couple of those 1k wagnus iem cables and highly expensive wagnus interconnects in under 3 months :p. Another basically does the same but on the desktop end. So no it's not bad at all :p if you compared at least :sweat_smile:

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,880 of 16,326
That's really not that bad. I know someone who bought the FitEar 335, 333, FAD lab 1, noble k10 prestige, Dita truth balanced, tera player, lotoo paw gold, rwak240+, GoVibe portatube, kojo km-01 brass, vorzuge pure 2, Pico power, carrot one nik58 tube, chord Hugo, and a couple of those 1k wagnus iem cables and highly expensive wagnus interconnects in under 3 months
tongue.gif
. Another basically does the same but on the desktop end. So no it's not bad at all
tongue.gif
if you compared at least :sweat_smile:

Wow. Go big or go home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back