ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 6, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #10,006 of 16,326
A day will buy a dp x1, I will use it only in SE should I onkyo or pioneer XDP-100r? in SE they have the same sound or onkyo is better?

It depends on the DAP too. I do not owe the Pioneer CDP-100r. However, if you choose to have (or already have) an external amp I would say DP-X1 won't be disappointed. For example, I am listening to the 2 combinations DP-X1+ Mojo and DP-X1+ Theorem 720 via SE connection (IEM and HP). They all have excellent SQs.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #10,007 of 16,326
It depends on the DAP too. I do not owe the Pioneer CDP-100r. However, if you choose to have (or already have) an external amp I would say DP-X1 won't be disappointed. For example, I am listening to the 2 combinations DP-X1+ Mojo and DP-X1+ Theorem 720 via SE connection (IEM and HP). They all have excellent SQs.

there is much difference with dp x1 with or without mojo?

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #10,008 of 16,326
  there is much difference with dp x1 with or without mojo?

The difference will be the relative difference in sound signatures, so yes there will be a noticeable difference. If you are using the DP-X1 as a digital source only to feed the Mojo, which you would be doing, you will only be hearing the sound signature of the Mojo. Frankly unless you need something the DP-X1 offers fine, but any smartphone with the correct digital out will be as good a source to feed the Mojo. When used with the Mojo you are hearing the Mojo.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #10,010 of 16,326
To my ear is a yes. Adding an external amp like Mojo or T720 would give the musics more layers of decay with SE compared to ACG balanced out.

I would assume nobody would use the Mojo just as an amp, they would use it as an amp and DAC would they not?

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #10,012 of 16,326
I would assume nobody would use the Mojo just as an amp, they would use it as an amp and DAC would they not?

Correct.

You can't use the Mojo just as an amp. For one the Mojo only has digital input. Two, the analogue out isn't like most gear with a separate amp section. The very simple OP stage is tied directly to the DAC with discrete components and is more like a variable line-out from the DAC than a seperate amp section. Because of the very good noise performance straight out of the Mojo's Pulse array DAC they can do this, unlike most other DACs chips that have the I/V conversion, then the low pass filter, then the voltage amplification and current amplification.

Just posting because it was raised in the thread, sorry for the OT.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #10,017 of 16,326
ah...the shop i like to get dp-x1 is having 10% off for member price around usd665....so the price is quite attractive now.

they didnt sell the pioneer one.

i am using UM Mentor currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back