ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 5, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #9,963 of 16,326

- I tried the balanced output with a Beyerdynamic T51P and I am not so impressed. It seems that the X1 struggles in properly driving the T51P. Have not tried the AGC with it though.

I found the T51p a great pairing, and the X1 is certainly of driving them to ear-damaging levels.

How have you achieved a balanced connection to the T51p? It sounds like there may be a wiring problem.

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #9,965 of 16,326

I found the T51p a great pairing, and the X1 is certainly of driving them to ear-damaging levels.

How have you achieved a balanced connection to the T51p? It sounds like there may be a wiring problem.

oh, I just auditioned them in a shop. No idea how they wired it but they used the 2.5mm balanced output (and I used their own X1 so I don't know how they set it up).

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #9,967 of 16,326

oh, I just auditioned them in a shop. No idea how they wired it but they used the 2.5mm balanced output (and I used their own X1 so I don't know how they set it up).

In that case, I'd be fairly certain that there was a wiring problem. The T51p need to be re-terminated or re-cabled to use the balanced output. If the wiring was not done to the correct configuration for the X1 it could well sound like you describe.

Done properly it's a sweet combination however 
smile.gif

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #9,969 of 16,326

In that case, I'd be fairly certain that there was a wiring problem. The T51p need to be re-terminated or re-cabled to use the balanced output. If the wiring was not done to the correct configuration for the X1 it could well sound like you describe.

Done properly it's a sweet combination however 
smile.gif

Can you point me in the right direction on how to do it? Or I just need to buy the cable?

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #9,972 of 16,326

Can you point me in the right direction on how to do it? Or I just need to buy the cable?

Unfortunately it's not straightforward. The T51p doesn't have a removable cable and it doesn't appear that separate right and left grounds are brought all the way to the jack plug, so simple re-termination with a 4-pole TRRS jack is probably not achievable.

The options are to cut off the existing cable and wire a new one into the 'tails' from each earcup (either directly or using connectors); fit connectors to the earcups to allow the use of a third-party cable; have the headphones fully rewired with a third-party cable.

I fitted 2.5mm jacks to the earcups on mine but getting the shells open and fitting a connector in the limited space available was a difficult DIY task.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #9,973 of 16,326

Unfortunately it's not straightforward. The T51p doesn't have a removable cable and it doesn't appear that separate right and left grounds are brought all the way to the jack plug, so simple re-termination with a 4-pole TRRS jack is probably not achievable.

The options are to cut off the existing cable and wire a new one into the 'tails' from each earcup (either directly or using connectors); fit connectors to the earcups to allow the use of a third-party cable; have the headphones fully rewired with a third-party cable.

I fitted 2.5mm jacks to the earcups on mine but getting the shells open and fitting a connector in the limited space available was a difficult DIY task.

Thank you.

How about balanced cable for the Oppo PM3? (I am getting a good deal for a pair) Is it a much easier DIY job? A schematic would be of great help.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #9,974 of 16,326

Thank you.

How about balanced cable for the Oppo PM3? (I am getting a good deal for a pair) Is it a much easier DIY job? A schematic would be of great help.

Yes, Someone share this earlier. For player side use "AK DAP".

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #9,975 of 16,326
Can anyone post a "before and after" photos of the issue with the HO and Balanced Out having too much space with the case?

I'm thinking of getting this dap and just want to make sure i get the later ones.

Is there a marking on the box that says that its the improved version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back