ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 3, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #7,891 of 16,326
A unit of the DP-X1 just arrived on my end last week. Too bad, I could not try it out since I was sick and didn't feel like trying it. But the build feels so solid just a little bit heavy and real smooth UI too. The only thing that bothers me is that the boot up time took so long until the unit feels real hot (it's using SD810 IIRC, not surprised of the heat at all).

By the way, if anyone is still having problems with copying their music into their internal storage, just enable USB Debugging. It worked for me, no need for third-party software.

Just the first boot. After that it's like 30 seconds.

I thought so too, but I turned it off and had my cousin tried it out. He said the boot is slow. First time slow boot is already expected, since Android is caching the ART or something.

May 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #7,892 of 16,326

On the first post of this thread it says: "-11 Band Parametric EQ, max 16,384 adjustable bands, decimal dB increments, Finite Impulse Response filter to prevent sq degradation with eq."
But the parametric EQ is not global to my knowledge. I hoped it would be. But it seems like someone found a solution for using some sort of global EQ. I read that a few pages back. I´ll sure check that out myself when I get my player.

I don't think it is parametric as there is no way to adjust Q values for the various frequencies which is a crucial aspect of a parametric EQ. I have never seen one implemented without the user being able to set these values, but I could be wrong.

May 3, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #7,893 of 16,326
  I don't think it is parametric as there is no way to adjust Q values for the various frequencies which is a crucial aspect of a parametric EQ. I have never seen one implemented without the user being able to set these values, but I could be wrong.

I have just been doing some research and as I'm sure this surprises nobody, signal processing is a pretty complex topic. The EQ in the DP-X1 is a linear-phase finite impulse EQ. I have found some information suggesting it is possible to construct such an EQ in a way that may be able to implement the filter with a parametric like bandwidth constraint. So far what I have been able to understand is that this technique isn't considered optimum and while there are some advantages, it also has trade-off disadvantages. I'm not sure Onkyo went that route, but for certain it isn't a traditional parametric EQ as we commonly consider here in head-fi. I would like to learn more about this. I'm sure @Joe Bloggs could help in this discussion.

May 3, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #7,894 of 16,326

Anyone can help?
Cause I am planning to buy DPX1 and playing tidal as my main source. If the DPX1 playing tidal is almost the same quality to the iphone, which is not as good as it native player. Then I may decided to buy mojo as dac and amp while using my iphone as the source.
I am so confused now..thanks!

May 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #7,895 of 16,326
Anyone can help?
Cause I am planning to buy DPX1 and playing tidal as my main source. If the DPX1 playing tidal is almost the same quality to the iphone, which is not as good as it native player. Then I may decided to buy mojo as dac and amp while using my iphone as the source.
I am so confused now..thanks!

You would likely find the sound quality a little better with the Mojo stack, depending on preference of course. The DP-X1 is a standalone solution so in some ways comparing it to a stack is a little unfair. If you don't care about carrying around a stack I suspect doing that gives you the best chance to maximize sound quality at the expense of convenience.

May 3, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7,896 of 16,326
You would likely find the sound quality a little better with the Mojo stack, depending on preference of course. The DP-X1 is a standalone solution so in some ways comparing it to a stack is a little unfair. If you don't care about carrying around a stack I suspect doing that gives you the best chance to maximize sound quality at the expense of convenience.
Thanks for the ideas. How about the tidal on dpx1 vs native player on dpx1? Is it really a huge differences?
I would like a standalone player for more convenience.

May 3, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #7,898 of 16,326
Thanks for the ideas. How about the tidal on dpx1 vs native player on dpx1? Is it really a huge differences?

Personally, I thought Tidal sounded very good on the DP-X1, I had no issues with Tidal, but some others felt that it could be glitch. My experience with Tidal was perfect, but you may want to get a few more opinions. Sound quality wise Tidal will use the DAC and amp just like the stock music app. What I'm unclear on is whether there is any Android DSP that occurs between Tidal and the DAC similar to how Neutron does some pre-processing in the software domain before the signal is finally converted by the DAC.

May 3, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #7,899 of 16,326
Personally, I thought Tidal sounded very good on the DP-X1, I had no issues with Tidal, but some others felt that it could be glitch. My experience with Tidal was perfect, but you may want to get a few more opinions. Sound quality wise Tidal will use the DAC and amp just like the stock music app. What I'm unclear on is whether there is any Android DSP that occurs between Tidal and the DAC similar to how Neutron does some pre-processing in the software domain before the signal is finally converted by the DAC.
Thanks a lot for you opinion, it's help. Hope the others will share their opinions too.

May 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #7,900 of 16,326

how is the difference in SQ with and without mojo?

Without the Mojo the SQ for my personal tastes is very good especially if used in Balanced/ACG mode.
But I prefer overall the SQ when used with the Mojo, I find it is taken to another level altogether

May 3, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #7,901 of 16,326
I have tried the SE on DP-X1 for 2 weeks while waiting for the 2.5 TRRS balanced cables. To my taste I would love to spend more time listening to my musics on Mojo than SE on DP-X1. However, since I got the 2.5 TRRS balanced cables most of the time I would stick with DP-X1 balanced ACG output and never looked back to SE.

Indeed if it is a straight choice on the DP-X1 it would Balanced/ACG everytime

May 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #7,902 of 16,326
 For the part of Tidal, is that mean play by the Tidal itself will cause some distortion? But not if it play through the UAPP?
Is that happen on other android player too?
Many thanks!

Note that the distortion I'm referring to (noise or grittiness might be a better description) was only on the fade-in or fade-out of tracks.

The distortion I heard was only via the standard TIDAL client application (that you download from the Google Play store), and only via the internal DAC/amp.

If I played the standard TIDAL client through a Mojo instead, while you get forced up-sampling from the Android Audio subsystem, this distortion was not present.  Playing through UAPP either using the internall DAC/amp or via the Mojo didn't exhibit this distortion either.

I've only tried three music players so far: 1) the native Onkyo Music app, 2) UAPP and 3) the standard TIDAL client, so I can't say if this distortion occurs with other players.  If I get a chance, before I package the unit back up to return it, I'll test with Spotify as well.

May 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #7,903 of 16,326

I don't know if it's doing any additional DSP, but it's definitely using the normal, forced, Android re-sampling.

May 3, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #7,904 of 16,326

Native TIDAL is limited to playing through the Android Audio subsystem, which means it's using Androids re-sampling, whether you want it or not.

The "Music" app on the DPX1 bypasses that completely - though, of course, that can only play locally mounted files.

And yes, they sound pretty different - bypassing the Android re-sampling is definitely beneficial.

May 3, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #7,905 of 16,326
Thanks a lot for you opinion, it's help. Hope the others will share their opinions too.

I find Tidal (lossless) playback very good, although SQ is not as good as my own lossless files played on the stock music app.

There is a small amount of distortion present on third-party app output. It's only directly audible at very low volume, but I suspect this, and other 'features' of the Android system affect sound quality.

I also get very brief glitches or dropouts during playback of stored Tidal tracks. This is very random - I can listen for a long time without it happening on some occasions, other occasions it happens a couple of times every minute. I don't know if it's related to the reading of the SD cards or the actual playback within the app.

Overall I'm happy with it while hoping that future firmware and/or app updates will make it better (It will be interesting to see if the move to MQA format makes any difference when it happens). If I find myself listening to music repeatedly I always buy a physical copy of it so my most important music is played through the music app. If Tidal were my principle or only requirement, then I might be more unhappy with its performance currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back