ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,111 of 16,326
Way to many posts to comment on, but glad everyone is getting sorted one way or another. :wink:

Just downloaded the update and can't wait to try out the new format! Question...is there an easy way to search the onkyo music app for MQA titles? So far searching through the music app on the DPX1, I haven't been able to find any MQA albums...

Yes.

On Android Chrome or on a computer. The app sucks for searching for MQA.

Otherwise, go to 2L.
You're welcome ^^

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,112 of 16,326
Really thinking about getting this and skipping DX200. Are you able to download offline music to one of the card slots from Tidal?

Yes.

Both balanced Onkyo DP-X1 DAP and single-ended (with speaker) Pioneer XDP-100R run full ANDROID 5.1.1, so you can download music from Tidal/Spotify, etc, to the internal memory, MicroSD cards, USB storage, etc. Just specify in the Tidal app first.

^^

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #7,113 of 16,326

Thanks for the heads up everyone! Just updated my "Music" app and downloaded free MQA songs from 2L, the quality is superb and I'm sooo hooked to this particular song. Gives me goosebump, the vocal is just too real!

A great sounding album. One of my first purchases

Really thinking about getting this and skipping DX200. Are you able to download offline music to one of the card slots from Tidal?

Yes card slot 1

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7,114 of 16,326
This has probably already been discussed...how long did it take to 'burn-in' the dp-x1? 

When I first listened to my NW-ZX2 I thought it was garbage...after 200 hrs. of listening, I thought it was one of the best DAP's I'd ever heard.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #7,115 of 16,326
  This has probably already been discussed...how long did it take to 'burn-in' the dp-x1? 

When I first listened to my NW-ZX2 I thought it was garbage...after 200 hrs. of listening, I thought it was one of the best DAP's I'd ever heard.

I personally thought the balanced out of the DP-X1 sounded great right out of the box. I've noticed a positive change in the overall sound after about 30 hours. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #7,116 of 16,326

As long as your brain takes to adjust to the sound signature.

I don't believe that the low power electronics in a DAP changes in any identifiable way through use (and no electronic product goes from garbage to best through physical burn-in).

It's mostly in the mind 
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #7,119 of 16,326
apologies if this has already be answered but can the Onkyo DP-X1 play SACD ISO files please?

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7,121 of 16,326
/snip

I can already tell that you have an understanding of how music is converted from digital to analogue in various ways, which though usually is via a DAC or R2R, a CPU can be used instead.

That's what Neutron and PowerAmp utilise, the CPU for main audio conversion.

Now, most apps will work with what's given by the hardware as standard and defined by the Android OS API's. So Tidal and YouTube can be used in balanced mode, for example, on the DP-X1.
However, for apps that primarily use a CPU for audio decoding, Onkyo and Pioneer have released API protocols that allow such app developers to use the unique hardware of the digital audio players. That is up to the app developers to implement, no one else.

PowerAmp and Neutron have great features and unique UI, but those features are mainly CPU based.

In other words, if you buy the Pioneer XDP-100R or Onkyo DP-X1, stick to the specially designed standard playback apps each offer.
These DAP's were made to work with their included apps as standard.
For example, MQA will NEVER WORK via Neutron or PowerAmp unless those developers change their apps, which is not their goal or intended audience.

So, if you use PowerAmp or Neutron, unless the app developer has included the Onkyo/Pioneer API protocols, you may not be utilising all of what makes such DAP's unique.

I would recommend to use the standard music player apps, and any app that has an audio feature but was not designed for CPU audio decoding (basically the vast majority of Android apps, including games).

/snip

Where is your source for this?

I ask because a CPU does not convert bit depth to voltage to output an analogue signal and I fear you may be misleading others to think so. Just your statement that a "DAC or R2R" will do it tells me you aren't clear on what each component does. R2R is a method of converting a digital signal to an analogue voltage by using resisters in a ladder switching the appropriate resistors on and off to replicate the voltage representing the analogue waveform over time. The other method is Delta Sigma but it uses one resistor switching very fast on and off to replicate the appropriate voltage. R2R is a DAC, just using a different method than Delta Sigma. A CPU simply does not have this hardware capability to output the appropriate voltage to output to an amplifier. The CPU WILL process the file format to a digital bit stream to feed the DAC, but the DAC must be used.

Plain and simple you need a DAC to convert the digital information to a voltage. I find it extremely hard to believe that Onkyo would actually implement a separate SoC (similar to the Sabre ES9118 with an integrated DAC and amplifier). This would be a third DAC (on top of their dual ESS9018k2m DACs) just so different apps can function, on top of the Snapdragon 801 2.3ghz Quadcore used for processing. There is nothing in the Qualcom 800 series specification briefs that says it has an integrated DAC. The audio capabilities are simply for decoding file formats, not converting digital to analogue, therefore the DAC is NOT bypassed when not using the native player.

The likely scenario is that the other apps are bootstrapped by the Android OS and simply not outputting the files bit perfect to the DAC like the native player will do. I'm guessing this is where you are confused.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7,122 of 16,326
It cannot, but it will play DSD.

thank you :) have you had a chance to test the DLNA capabilities of the Onkyo? would it be able to detect an external HD attached to my imac and stream hi-res and DSD files over wifi?

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #7,123 of 16,326

The likely scenario is that the other apps are bootstrapped by the Android OS and simply not outputting the files bit perfect to the DAC like the native player will do. I'm guessing this is where you are confused.

I was also in the past mistaken about this and subsequent research confirms what you are saying. At one point I was misinterpreting the Snapdragon specifications and thinking that the SoC had a DAC onboard. As you said, all apps will have to go through the DP-X1 DAC(s). It is good that this has been clarified again as it was many pages back in the thread when the confusion/misunderstandings were clarified previously.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #7,124 of 16,326
I was also in the past mistaken about this and subsequent research confirms what you are saying. At one point I was misinterpreting the Snapdragon specifications and thinking that the SoC had a DAC onboard. As you said, all apps will have to go through the DP-X1 DAC(s). It is good that this has been clarified again as it was many pages back in the thread when the confusion/misunderstandings were clarified previously.

A lot of people confuse decoding file formats (CPU - SoC) and converting digital bitstream to analogue voltage (DAC).

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #7,125 of 16,326

I ask because a CPU does not convert bit depth to voltage to output an analogue signal and I fear you may be misleading others to think so. Just your statement that a "DAC or R2R" will do it tells me you aren't clear on what each component does. R2R is a method of converting a digital signal to an analogue voltage by using resisters in a ladder switching the appropriate resistors on and off to replicate the voltage representing the analogue waveform over time. The other method is Delta Sigma but it uses one resistor switching very fast on and off to replicate the appropriate voltage. R2R is a DAC, just using a different method than Delta Sigma. A CPU simply does not have this hardware capability to output the appropriate voltage to output to an amplifier. The CPU WILL process the file format to a digital bit stream to feed the DAC, but the DAC must be used.

Plain and simple you need a DAC to convert the digital information to a voltage. I find it extremely hard to believe that Onkyo would actually implement a separate SoC (similar to the Sabre ES9118 with an integrated DAC and amplifier). This would be a third DAC (on top of their dual ESS9018k2m DACs) just so different apps can function, on top of the Snapdragon 801 2.3ghz Quadcore used for processing. There is nothing in the Qualcom 800 series specification briefs that says it has an integrated DAC. The audio capabilities are simply for decoding file formats, not converting digital to analogue, therefore the DAC is NOT bypassed when not using the native player.

Thank you for this additional useful information too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back