ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #7,051 of 16,328
You can't go wrong with Dignis, I have it and its great, in addition they gave you a screen protector and 2 wraps (that protects the metal finishing of the exposed jack areas) and a cleaning cloth. It's an all in one set up that pretty much spells classy.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #7,053 of 16,328
  http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/LUNO-ONKYO-DP-X1-CASE/120/?cate_no=1&display_group=2#none  Looking great in red :)

Will you stop it already  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have only just managed to get a reconciliation with my wallet and especially my credit card.

But yet thou doth temptemph me with thine harlot in red.
I shall not wane
I shall not move
I shall not be be opening my wallet for thee, "get there behind me temptation".

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #7,054 of 16,328
Hi,
Could anyone please tell me what is the different between the two 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm jack on the onkyo?
Does 1 jack makes sound better than the other?
Thanks.

The 3.5mm jack offers Single Ended output and is fed by a single DAC and AMP
The 2.5mm jack offers Balanced output and utilises a separate DAC and AMP for each channel.

Check out the 1st post a bit more detail there.

Or have a look at the Onkyo website might explain this better

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #7,055 of 16,328
Hi,
Could anyone please tell me what is the different between the two 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm jack on the onkyo?
Does 1 jack makes sound better than the other?
Thanks.

3.5 mm SE output via one DAC
2.5 mm balanced out using 2 DAC (one DAC for left and another one is for the right).
Of course, the SQ of balanced output is far more superior than SE one.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #7,056 of 16,328
Thank you guys. And i know that this may be an elementary question but are most of you running a separate amp to this device?  I like the fact that i can hookup a decent pair of hi-res headphones (portable like the EL-8, Oppo pm3's etc) and go.  I personally find it cumbersome to add and amp etc. thoughts? 

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #7,057 of 16,328
BIG NEWS!

MQA will be activated on Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R very soon (announced today, possibly 12th/13th we'll get OTA updates).

Links and quotes:

Onkyo JP Update 11/04/2016 (yeah UK date format DEAL WITH IT):
● 2016/4/11
 update schedule system
  · DP-X1
 updates after the software version
  · SW version: 0.1.30.8
 update content
  and music playback stability improvement of
  operating improvement of Bluetooth tethering
  by · Android security improvement correspondence
  of-future commodity and adds the ability to collect personal information for service improvement (possible whether the permission of the user)  
 ※ update will start sequentially from 2016/4/13. Please take a little if you notice of the update does not appear.

MQA.co.uk- ONKYO DP-X1 NOW SUPPORTS MQA VIA FREE UPDATE:

The Onkyo “DP-X1” is the world’s first MQA enabled portable digital audio player. The free update will be available worldwide on April 12th. Please visit Google PlayTM to get the latest “Music” app and enjoy MQA.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7,058 of 16,328
Woah. It's here

PS: is there going to be more mainstream MQA music available soon? I was just looking at what's available in the link you posted and I've never heard of any of the artists.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #7,060 of 16,328
BIG NEWS!

MQA will be activated on Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R very soon (announced today, possibly 12th/13th we'll get OTA updates).

Links and quotes:

Onkyo JP Update 11/04/2016 (yeah UK date format DEAL WITH IT):
MQA.co.uk- ONKYO DP-X1 NOW SUPPORTS MQA VIA FREE UPDATE:

UK date format 
beyersmile.png
 rotfl

MQA
The news we've all been waiting for, I already have quite a few MQA files in preparation.

Now it's time for Tidal to do the honourable (UK spelling 
wink_face.gif
) and follow this news.

thumb_388_default_big.jpeg

The Onkyo “DP-X1” is the world’s first MQA enabled portable digital audio player.

The free update will be available worldwide on April 12th.

Please visit Google PlayTM to get the latest “Music” app and enjoy MQA.

ab82e60f45c539fb51da73bc44fe783c93534452.png

When listening to MQA on the “DP-X1” the MQA display indicates that

the product is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file and denotes

provenance that the sound is identical to that of the source material

(indicated by a green light in the App).

‘MQA Studio’ (indicated by a blue light in the App) is playing a file which

has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

Bob Stuart, MQA’s creator, commented on the Onkyo launch.

“We are very excited to launch MQA on the Onkyo “DP-X1”.

The MQA sound on the portable player is truly breathtaking.

With more MQA music in the market very soon, Onkyo customers

will be amongst the first to truly experience the wonders of MQA.

It’s an exciting time for MQA partners and music lovers everywhere.”

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #7,061 of 16,328
This rather unceremoniously secured to the back of my Mojo with black tape and then covered over with the Onkyo stock case 
(only 256GB SD card for now but looking at 512Gb once they come down in price)

Looking to get another one of these once prices of SD cards start to fall. Just image 1Tb of files in my pocket
:L3000:  

I'm patiently waiting for the 512 GB MicroSDXC cards this year, and then the big price drop near Christmas :wink:

Btw, I get using single-ended DAC's or amps to beef up single-ended DAP's or phone's, but why would you bypass the overall majority of the audio chain in the Onkyo DP-X1?
Surely that's counterintuitive...

Now for me, if I wanted extra power I would buy the ALO Continental Dual Mono because it has balanced analogue in and out via 2.5 mm TRRS jacks. That means I could use a nice DHC cable, output my DP-X1 in balanced at 0dB (max volume) and that goes into the balanced in of ALO CDM.
This setup uses all of the internal circuitry (esp dual ESS DAC's), effectively bypasses the dual ESS amps as they are working as line-out in balanced mode, and I can have greater power.

However, I really don't understand why someone would use something like the Mojo with the DP-X1 and bypass it's actually selling point features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting at you at all, I'm just fascinated by this stacking stuff.

Q for any owners:

Does usb audio output to other DAC work with third party apps like tidal?

Yes.

Onkyo DP-X1 is also full Android 5.1.1, so OTG will work as standard.

By doing this, you bypass the audio circuitry of DP-X1 just like any Android device.

Dignis clad DP-X1 and Chord Mojo

See above, first reply.

You can't go wrong with Dignis, I have it and its great, in addition they gave you a screen protector and 2 wraps (that protects the metal finishing of the exposed jack areas) and a cleaning cloth. It's an all in one set up that pretty much spells classy.

I'll get it, just not yet. My DPA-PUX1 will suffice, for now.

3.5 mm SE output via one DAC
2.5 mm balanced out using 2 DAC (one DAC for left and another one is for the right).
Of course, the SQ of balanced output is far more superior than SE one.

Small notes

- 3.5 mm TRS single-ended headphone jack = 1x ESS SABRE ES9018K2M DAC's and 1x ESS SABRE 9601K amp

- 2.5 mm TRRS balanced headphone jack = 2x ESS SABRE ES9018K2M DAC's and 2x ESS SABRE 9601K amps

By having two DAC's and amps, noise floor is massively reduced and you gain greater resolving power.
That's the theory behind Balanced audio chain, and some consider this to be superior than single-ended.

The truth is both single-ended and balanced are both amazing if implemented well.

Me? First time I used balanced gear was with Onkyo DP-X1, and I'm sold.

^^

Thank you guys. And i know that this may be an elementary question but are most of you running a separate amp to this device?  I like the fact that i can hookup a decent pair of hi-res headphones (portable like the EL-8, Oppo pm3's etc) and go.  I personally find it cumbersome to add and amp etc. thoughts? 

I'm not, and if I did I would ONLY get an amp, most killer s balanced one like ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono or Cavalli Audio Carbon, get a great DHC balanced cable, and set my DP-X1 to max volume.

But I don't and use DP-X1 as is.

---

Edit:
Sorry guy's about this awkward post, I'm typing on my phone and had a work call...

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #7,063 of 16,328
I'm patiently waiting for the 512 GB MicroSDXC cards this year, and then the big price drop near Christmas
wink.gif

Btw, I get using single-ended DAC's or amps to beef up single-ended DAP's or phone's, but why would you bypass the overall majority of the audio chain in the Onkyo DP-X1?
Surely that's counterintuitive...

Now for me, if I wanted extra power I would buy the ALO Continental Dual Mono because it has balanced analogue in and out via 2.5 mm TRRS jacks. That means I could use a nice DHC cable, output my DP-X1 in balanced at 0dB (max volume) and that goes into the balanced in of ALO CDM.
This setup uses all of the internal circuitry (esp dual ESS DAC's), effectively bypasses the dual ESS amps as they are working as line-out in balanced mode, and I can have greater power.

However, I really don't understand why someone would use something like the Mojo with the DP-X1 and bypass it's actually selling point features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting at you at all, I'm just fascinated by this stacking stuff.
Yes.

Onkyo DP-X1 is

(Doh that should have read attached to the back of my DP-X1 not Mojo).

My DP-X1 I bought primarily for Tidal/MQA which, thanks you for bringing to our attention, should be available to all by the end of this week.

I tended to use my Mojo and AK100 mostly but when my Toslink to Mini Toslink developed a fault, I returned to using the DP-X1, but for me personally the only Balanced IEM's or HP's I have are my Shure SE535 with Linum balanced 2.5mm cable which IMO are not up to the sound I prefer and get from my Finder X1 or ACS 5 driver CIEM's. Both of these are SE and comparing Mojo SE to DP-X1 SE I prefer the Mojo.

So while without my AK100 stack I used the DP-X1 as a source for my commute with my Mojo. Sacrilege to many here I know.

My only other option is to use my Aclear Porta NXT-2AK to connect the Balanced out from the DP-X1 to SE output to my preferred IEM's or my other SE HP's.
As I travel to work with a rucksack and jacket, currently,  I used to take my Mojo/AK100 Stack and DP-X1 with me anyway. Long journeys, ie travelling to work) I used the Mojo, short listening sessions, such as lunch, I used the DP-X1, 

At home again primarily Mojo, for me it's just my preference

I may look at the OLO but currently I and my Credit card and myself are going through counselling 
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #7,064 of 16,328
(Doh that should have read attached to the back of my DP-X1 not Mojo).

My DP-X1 I bought primarily for Tidal/MQA which, thanks you for bringing to our attention, should be available to all by the end of this week.

I tended to use my Mojo and AK100 mostly but when my Toslink to Mini Toslink developed a fault, I returned to using the DP-X1, but for me personally the only Balanced IEM's or HP's I have are my Shure SE535 with Linum balanced 2.5mm cable which IMO are not up to the sound I prefer and get from my Finder X1 or ACS 5 driver CIEM's. Both of these are SE and comparing Mojo SE to DP-X1 SE I prefer the Mojo.

So while without my AK100 stack I used the DP-X1 as a source for my commute with my Mojo. Sacrilege to many here I know.

My only other option is to use my Aclear Porta NXT-2AK to connect the Balanced out from the DP-X1 to SE output to my preferred IEM's or my other SE HP's.

As I travel to work with a rucksack and jacket, currently,  I used to take my Mojo/AK100 Stack and DP-X1 with me anyway. Long journeys, ie travelling to work) I used the Mojo, short listening sessions, such as lunch, I used the DP-X1, 

At home again primarily Mojo, for me it's just my preference

I may look at the OLO but currently I and my Credit card and myself are going through counselling :wink_face:

Ok, THAT makes sense.

If you bought the Onkyo DP-X1 with future use for balanced gear, but you either don't have such gear or yet to get balanced equipment, then using an SE chain with an outboard DAC/amp is a great decision.

Onkyo DP-X1 has a fantastic single-ended sound quality but is not the world's best. Chord Mojo is far better.

When you do get balanced gear that you feel is worth using, let me know your thoughts.
That, and if you get a balanced external amp he he he

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #7,065 of 16,328
Ok, THAT makes sense.

If you bought the Onkyo DP-X1 with future use for balanced gear, but you either don't have such gear or yet to get balanced equipment, then using an SE chain with an outboard DAC/amp is a great decision.

Onkyo DP-X1 has a fantastic single-ended sound quality but is not the world's best. Chord Mojo is far better.

When you do get balanced gear that you feel is worth using, let me know your thoughts.
That, and if you get a balanced external amp he he he

I'm just waiting for Linum to release their 2.5mm balanced cable in the Bax (or is it Super Bax) range for my ACS as these have interchangeable cables. As this was the main reason when choosing the CIEM path I chose ACS

Is this the same ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono you mentioned earlier, only asked because of the price difference across the pond, thought there might be a few different versions?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back