ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,746 of 16,326
I totally get your point. I apologise if all I am doing is repeating hearsay. My suggestion is that I have read enough in here, of problems, that it seems that if streaming is my primary reason for buying the DP-X1
then I may be disappointed.

As answered below IMO the problems may in fact be the Tidal app and not the implementation on the DX-P1

Tidal works with the DP-X1, Onkyo even has it as a recommendation on their Useful Apps app. Also I believe they have a partnership(Onkyo and Tidal) to play MQA streaming some time in the future so this alone is a good sign that Onkyo plans to improve compatibility with Tidal.

One of its problems right now in my experience is that it has some random stutters which I think only happens when the screen is turned off. Then there is the issue that I cannot out tidal with my Chord Mojo seems like USB interface is not supported with Tidal, outing to the Mojo works only by using the stock music player, and UAPP in my experience 

I get the odd random stutter with my desktop Tidal over WiFi so isn't the odd stutter just the nature of streaming, or do you mean you get even more stutters with the Onkyo than you do normally with say a computer?

I have occasional stutter with Tidal no matter what I use, PC, Mobile Phone or DX-P1 and I have come to accept that as gremlins that need ironing out with Tidal and not solely experienced in my case just on the Onkyo.

But with MQA on the Horizon this may also give a clue as to how Tidal and Onkyo have worked on the DAC and it's use in this device so I wonder if that would mean Tidal using the 
Dacs: 2x ESS Sabre ES9018K2M and Amp: 2x ESS Sabre 9601K

and not the Snapdragon's SoC DAC?

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #5,747 of 16,326
Forgot to add

1. ACS Encore Studio 5 Driver CIEM delivered this morning
2. Onkyo Case delivered this afternoon
3. Folder browsing now available on the DP-X1

As Ice Cube would say

"Today was a Good Day"
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #5,748 of 16,326
I am wondering how much of the stutter issues could be related to external storage speed / sd card type & capacity, etc... I haven't experience any stutter but I do have issues of card unmounting erratically on slot 1 and it's getting annoying.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #5,749 of 16,326
  As answered below IMO the problems may in fact be the Tidal app and not the implementation on the DX-P1

I have occasional stutter with Tidal no matter what I use, PC, Mobile Phone or DX-P1 and I have come to accept that as gremlins that need ironing out with Tidal and not solely experienced in my case just on the Onkyo.

But with MQA on the Horizon this may also give a clue as to how Tidal and Onkyo have worked on the DAC and it's use in this device so I wonder if that would mean Tidal using the 

Do you ask thinking that the SoC can't perform MQA, or just wondering why not utilize the hardware DAC on the DP-X1?

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #5,750 of 16,326
  I am wondering how much of the stutter issues could be related to external storage speed / sd card type & capacity, etc... I haven't experience any stutter but I do have issues of card unmounting erratically on slot 1 and it's getting annoying.

If you put the SD2 card into the SD1 slot is it the same thing? On yes, all you others, go vote in the poll thread, you will be helping others make a decision in a more user friendly manner.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #5,751 of 16,326
If you put the SD2 card into the SD1 slot is it the same thing? On yes, all you others, go vote in the poll thread, you will be helping others make a decision in a more user friendly manner.

Not tried yet. It's annoying enough that I am willing to re-sync everything and try that, I will report but it shouldn't happen in the first place...

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #5,752 of 16,326
So what things are most appealing to you about the Onkyo? Like with any device there will be good and bad so really knowing what is most important to you will really help guide your decision. There are many solid DAP choices now, most seem to offer excellent sound quality overall, personal preferences aside.

Seems like you finally found something that you feel is an upgrade over you phone and that's great :)

I've been thinking that I should post a mea culpa!
I have been very vocal in posting that the iPhone is pretty much as good as it gets. I've also said that musical enjoyment does not rely on the last few percent of performance.
The HA 200 has proved me wrong on both counts.
I was interested to read a few pages back people saying that the Onkyo is low Fi. I deliberately did not want an "audiophile" device as that seems to equate with a "neutral" and "transparent" sound.
I have learnt that this is not a sound that I enjoy.
I prefer a device that has been voiced to be musical
My aim is to enjoy listening to my music. Not dissect it!
This approach can result in a sound that initially impresses only to become irritating.
IMHO, the engineers at Onkyo got the balance just right. A little weight in the bottom end. A touch of warmth in the mids and a smooth but detailed treble. Lovely! :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #5,753 of 16,326
IMHO, the engineers at Onkyo got the balance just right. A little weight in the bottom end. A touch of warmth in the mids and a smooth but detailed treble. Lovely!
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, I don't like analytical either. I want musical, but it can't stray too far from neutrality either. For the nature of the device, and the price, I also think the DP-X1 is well balanced (I know you were talking about the HA200), there is certainly a great deal of detail, but I quickly acclimated to it coming from my warmish Blackberry Leap and E12 pairing. I don't think it is the be an all and end all by any stretch, but at this price for a single device I can stick in my pocket and go with and enjoy very nice sound quality, I think it is a rock solid value.

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,754 of 16,326
Hello Everyone, I have been following all the posts, and I must chime in, I have owned the Pioneer XDP-100R, a tad underpowered depending on the headphones, wanting more I jumped to AK100ii, great device but no tidal support and lacked many features that android offers etc. I jumped to ONKYO DP-X1, but, I am concerned that some think the ONKYO DP-X1 is a step up from iPhone w/ amp. I use my ONKYO DP-X1 as a DSD player connected via OTG to a Chord Mojo, but mojo is not required entirely for all listening, and in fact doesn't work with anything other than the default music app
confused_face_2.gif
, as many have mentioned. However I would consider a Fiio X3ii a step up from an iPhone or Android, then the Fiio x5/7 another step and then I would put ONKYO DP-X1 as another step up. Again these are my opinions and some would put this the ONKYO DP-X1 in a league of the fiio (disclaimer I don't own a fiio x5/7 I have a x3ii)

The point of my post is to say, I like the equalizer better on the ONKYO DP-X1 than any other unit I have had, I like the SE sound to my AUDEZE LCD-2's, I LOVE the sound out of my CHORD MOJO via OTG. I do experience pauses with my Mojo via OTG, I think it has to do with the android OTG driver, which should be resolvable. I play DSD128 (5.6mhz - 11,259kbps) mainly, but it up scales ALAC FLAC very nicely.

Would I say its better than AK100ii? In almost every way. I heard folder view is out through firmware, I'll check tonight that was a huge factor in how well the AK100ii would easy to use.

Just adding my opinions. Sorry had to rush and apologize for any misleading info, don't have time to proof read...

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5,755 of 16,326

Some clarification here.

1. The issues in question are not that of stuttering, but rather that of distortion.
I'll leave you to search the thread at your own convenience.

2. The Snapdragon SoC's DAC can only come into play if it was implemented intentionally by Onkyo's engineers. (otherwise there would be no path for the signal to travel to the amp)
I do not believe that to be the case, but do feel free to prove me wrong.
Barring lesser known brands, I only know of the LG V10 which has such a capability, and that itself is intentionally implemented.

3. MQA is simply a file container.
The audio stream input to the DAC will still be a PCM stream.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5,758 of 16,326
I honestly do not believe DP-X1 has Snapdragon DAC in there. Only ES 9018 and 2x of them ? If it default, I think it would default back to 1 of them

How would the Snapdragon come without that feature, it  integrated into the CPU.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #5,760 of 16,326
Is it so ? I remember last time I checked Z3 and Note 4 had SN DAC, and it was separated from the CPU itself

I went to the Qualacomm site and looked at the CPU used in the Onkyo and it clearly indicated integrated audio SoC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back