ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 24, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #5,701 of 16,326
This is an update to the Onkyo Music Player app. Folder browsing now available

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #5,703 of 16,326
Same here, I thought this was going to need a FW update, but thinking about it SW update was all that was needed and this has now been implemented. 
Am I greedy, but all I need now is MQA and Tidal and Onkyo to implement this 
Then I'll be totally happy.
L3000.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #5,704 of 16,326
  Thoughts from Day-1:

Onkyo DP-X1 looks smaller than what pics suggest. Fits my medium-sized palm. 15% smaller than OnePlus One. Light weight. Good build. UI is not so bad as some described. Smooth enough. Folder browsing and USB DAC functionally will happen in the coming months through FW update, I know. Just copied music and a few movies into 200GB card. Third party apps are yet to get to use its Sabre DACs. Don't have any balanced headphones. Can only talk about single-ended output.

Most of my music, again, doesn't go beyond 320kbps mp3s and FLACs. A few DSD files of classic rock, that's all. Listened to a few random tracks for just a few minutes. Initial newlywed impressions: big soundstage from where I come, the Sony Walkman pen drive, my only past DAP;  the so called dark background seems to be true; is true, actually; instruments seemed like they were on a caffeine kick - fast, accurate and unapologetic; flab-free i.e nothing seemed to be overlapping with anything else among lows, mids and highs; no-bloat; only-gloat; musicality is there but the cold precision of Sabre chips were felt more distinctly than natural musicality - although I can't see a big difference between them two - it's not like dating a woman vs dating an OS; neutrality is what I guess I appreciate where I am in life now and it is offered without any reservations - a bit warm headphones than a neutral ones might be a good match, though; beyerdynamic DT 1350 was driven with authority and coldly as if two sharp knives crossed each other; will try DT 1770 PRO later tonight with additional amping and DUNU DN-2000J tomorrow. Feels like somebody cleaned my windowpanes. Sky is clear.

Hi Subhakar,

Did you try DT 1770 with Onkyo and if yes, how did you find them?

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #5,705 of 16,326
Browser folder playing would improve its usability; I prefer to play my music that way. However I still wish they would implement CUE/FLAC & CUE/ISO. What I don't understand is why can Fiio implement it in the original X3 a few years ago on an embedded OS but it's not done in most if not all major music apps in Android...

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #5,706 of 16,326
Folder browsing update done. I mainly use Tidal but nice to be able to use folders to find whole albums etc on the proprietary music player.

Onkyo deserve a pat on the back for this - I hope they read this thread. There was a lot of noise when the DP-X1 was being launched that they wouldn't do updates, but I've had more in the 3 months of owning this device than in a year with the AK120.

So well done - and keep up the good work. Your customers appreciate it and you get good PR on head-fi!

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #5,707 of 16,326
Folder browsing update done. I mainly use Tidal but nice to be able to use folders to find whole albums etc on the proprietary music player.

Onkyo deserve a pat on the back for this - I hope they read this thread. There was a lot of noise when the DP-X1 was being launched that they wouldn't do updates, but I've had more in the 3 months of owning this device than in a year with the AK120.

So well done - and keep up the good work. Your customers appreciate it and you get good PR on head-fi!

How does the sound compare to the AK120? I have one and I'm looking to get either this or the Pioneer.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #5,708 of 16,326
I hope I'm wrong, but I think ONKYO reps are openly frequenting some Japanese forums and not here, certainly not openly anyway which seems like a big oversight on their part. You would think head-fi would be on their radar?

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #5,709 of 16,326
@Sonic Defender considering how Japanese companies work, it's already quite a feat they actually interact closely with their customers. Going to Head-Fi would be quite an achievement and might symbolize a big change in their handling of international customers lol.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #5,710 of 16,326
  @Sonic Defender considering how Japanese companies work, it's already quite a feat they actually interact closely with their customers. Going to Head-Fi would be quite an achievement and might symbolize a big change in their handling of international customers lol.

I know, sadly there seems to be a disdain for non-Japanese nationals (I mean among companies not Japanese citizens to clarify). I always find that interesting given that it seems that in Japan they are fascinated with Western culture like the US for instance.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #5,711 of 16,326

@Sonic Defender
 considering how Japanese companies work, it's already quite a feat they actually interact closely with their customers. Going to Head-Fi would be quite an achievement and might symbolize a big change in their handling of international customers lol.

I know, sadly there seems to be a disdain for non-Japanese nationals (I mean among companies not Japanese citizens to clarify). I always find that interesting given that it seems that in Japan they are fascinated with Western culture like the US for instance.

Guys - calm down? Onkyo are sending out software updates pretty regularly. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are Sony guys all over the ZX-2 thread? There's a big difference between a massive company seeming to "ignore" Head-fi and us having (and really appreciating) regular Head-fi input from relatively small companies like Chord or ALO (I own products from both - and I had a really good chat with Ken from ALO at CanJam).

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,712 of 16,326
Yeah, Onkyo is listening to the consumers in the mean while Sony chose not to care. However, the 3rd party app is still working pretty well with Zx2, and folder browsing had always been available with stock player app. Sony did much of a research before producing Zx2, and when something is not broken why fix it ?

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #5,713 of 16,326
Did you select 'Replace Up Next' via the 3 dots to start a new queue? If you just click on any song to start playback, it just list all songs in library.

Got it figured out but still an idiot way to create a playlist. With this I have to manually create playlist in the beginning, add it one by one then start to listen it. Also seems its not possible to edit the playlist. Whatever its there in the beginning, thats it. To me, the idea of playlist is to add your favorite track whilst listening to all of your tracks. Perhaps I miss something again here?

For those wondering if mine have any problems with 3rd party app for song playback, I'm reporting here that I did encounter that Neutron player wont react to physical volume button. But thats about it. Blackplayer EX works like a charm. SQ wise have to admit that Neutron have the edge against Blackplayer but by a margin. For idiot proof music player, I recommend Blackplayer, unless youre into tech aspects

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5,714 of 16,326

How does the sound compare to the AK120? I have one and I'm looking to get either this or the Pioneer.

I can only speak for the Onkyo, but if you like the wide soundstage that comes with the option of a balanced earphone output, them the Onkyo is a winner. I love my AK120, but if you want to get close to the balanced sound of the Onkyo, then you need to get the Glove A1 to go with the AK120. I have both and prefer the Onkyo, balanced, by itself, to the AK120 + Glove A1. The AK + Glove is amazing for rock music, but I do a lot of listening is Tidal, which you obviously can't do on the AK.

So, if you are only going to listen to your own music, then the AK is fab. It's also tiny. If I want balanced then add the Glove A1. Still quite a small (but quite weighty) package. If you want streaming / downloading albums from a streaming service, then go for the Onkyo.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #5,715 of 16,326
Guys - calm down? Onkyo are sending out software updates pretty regularly. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are Sony guys all over the ZX-2 thread? There's a big difference between a massive company seeming to "ignore" Head-fi and us having (and really appreciating) regular Head-fi input from relatively small companies like Chord or ALO (I own products from both - and I had a really good chat with Ken from ALO at CanJam).

We are calm, just mentioning that given the impact head-fi has in the industry it seems odd to not have a rep pop in from time to time. Knowledge is power and in sales they say when the customer is talking, they are buying so companies do well when they listen, big or small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back