ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 4, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #4,876 of 16,328
  Perhaps, but even so, the FiiO X7 is supposed to have this capability and I'm sure there are times when it may be useful to some. I'm not sure if I would ever need the feature, but as I said, I thought this firmware update was supposed to make this functionality available.

I use my DX90 as USB DAC frequently, and it is great versatility to be able to listen from PC-storage using Foobar for music I've not yet transferred to DAP or SD card. I am hoepful DP-X1 will implement this soon, by time of US release when I anticipate finalizing a purchase decision.

It is confusing to me (perhaps reflecting my ignorance of Japanese language and reliance on google tranlation) that the release notes here indicate:

2016/1/29 
[DAP Notice of software release (DP-X1) to your customers] 
Of DP-X1, which I am patronize, we will release an updated software to 2016/2/3. 
When you receive the notice of the update to your hand of the product, Please confirm the contents of the software update information, we would ask that you perform the update in accordance with the instructions on the screen. 
This software is scheduled to improve the following. 
And operation improvement of the SD card at the time of reproduction at the time of the operation stability and music playback stability improved user interface display bug improvement · USB DAC connection of the trouble improvement · DAP Music app · DAP Music add apps to FF / FR function ※ release It is scheduled for 2016/2/3. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,877 of 16,328
  The HK sales agent has reported the request of play by folder to Onkyo.  I think they already noticed it is a favor for users. Anytime, sooner and later it will be available in update - finger crossed.

A big +1.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #4,878 of 16,328
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #4,879 of 16,328
I'm guessing Tidal playlists work no problem (either streaming or offline) but could someone comment?

In other news Kaneda finally confirmed he is shipping my DP-X1 today :raised_hands_tone2:

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #4,880 of 16,328
/OT

Including John Franks (Chord CEO) and Rob Watts. They really do equate the Mojo to the Hugo. Of course Mojo has less inputs, less battery life and no cross feed or Bluetooth. Performance wise they've said quite clearly the Mojo is not really inferior to the Hugo. Actually superior in some specs. There is some serious tech packed in to the little box that's tuned slightly differently.

Like you said though, not as convenient as a stand alone DAP.

Personally, I haven't read any industry gossip on this, but my suspicion is that a new DAC/Amp to replace the Hugo is probably going to be announced this year.
By making the Mojo so great (according to reviews) and, as you say, even superior in some specs, and looking at how their product line has expanded, and also looking at the few criticisms of the Hugo, I imagine it's only a matter of time before they release a successor.. I haven't heard the Mojo, but I heard the Hugo at London CanJam 2015 and my exact words were "oh, that's just beautiful".
I felt like a bit of a sissy afterwards, haha, but it was from the heart
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,882 of 16,328
I'm guessing Tidal playlists work no problem (either streaming or offline) but could someone comment?

In other news Kaneda finally confirmed he is shipping my DP-X1 today :raised_hands_tone2:

Yes Tidal has been flawless for me in every respect.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,883 of 16,328
The HK sales agent has reported the request of play by folder to Onkyo.  I think they already noticed it is a favor for users. Anytime, sooner and later it will be available in update - finger crossed.

In the mean time , try out the app - Music Tag Editor.  I am using it and it works fine for small qty of music files.

If you're in contact with them, Maybe you could see if they could put in a request to better stabilise the jacks? :) I understand that not everyone has issues with it, but it does remain that this is the only dap I've ever seen to have these reports. Don't think anyone would complain if they did make an attempt to stabilise it better!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,884 of 16,328
After years of using old 4th gen iPod, I decided to buy hi-res Dap. Im poor european student so device Im looking for should be somewhat futureproof, I will use it for at least 5 years. My prefered music is jazz (fusion), and classical music. I ocassionally like to listen to reggae and dub. Budget for the player is cca 1k euros. I could go a bit higher but would rather have something to spend on a good pair (or two) of IEMs. :)

Onkyio looks like a great device, but Fiio X7 and Calyx M also look nice. Any advice is helpful.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #4,885 of 16,328
Reminds me of that old story about the guy who goes to his doctor and says that it hurts when he moves his arm like this. The doctor replies don't move your arm like that. :)

Reminds me of someone in the audience at iPhone launch complaining that it doesn't pick up signal while being held at a certain angle and Steve Jobs responding by saying "avoid holding the phone at that angle." :wink:

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #4,886 of 16,328
After years of using old 4th gen iPod, I decided to buy hi-res Dap. Im poor european student so device Im looking for should be somewhat futureproof, I will use it for at least 5 years. My prefered music is jazz (fusion), and classical music. I ocassionally like to listen to reggae and dub. Budget for the player is cca 1k euros. I could go a bit higher but would rather have something to spend on a good pair (or two) of IEMs. :)

Onkyio looks like a great device, but Fiio X7 and Calyx M also look nice. Any advice is helpful.

Remember that the devices are mostly as you buy them so don't expect big upgrades in the OS so the newer version of Android on the Onkyo may be a plus if you anticipate needing to use the device for the OS features. If not, get the one that you can most afford and has a sound signature you like. All of the devices you named are supposed to sound excellent. Also consider the headphones/IEMs you have and may have to drive, can the amplifier section in the DAP drive them well?

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,887 of 16,328
Remember that the devices are mostly as you buy them so don't expect big upgrades in the OS so the newer version of Android on the Onkyo may be a plus if you anticipate needing to use the device for the OS features. If not, get the one that you can most afford and has a sound signature you like. All of the devices you named are supposed to sound excellent. Also consider the headphones/IEMs you have and may have to drive, can the amplifier section in the DAP drive them well?

Thanks for reply! I dont care about any Os gimicks, only important thing is sound, build quality and decent batery life. UI is of less importance.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4,888 of 16,328
Hey guys. Can anyone recommend any apps to clean the "junk" files from my ALACs before loading them into the DP-X1? I'm a Mac and PC owner so I really don't wanna change the original files too much...just wanna try to save some space on my SD cards. I think I read about one earlier in this link but I couldn't locate it again. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,889 of 16,328
Thanks for reply! I dont care about any Os gimicks, only important thing is sound, build quality and decent batery life. UI is of less importance.

NW-ZX2 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back