ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,086 of 16,326

Good question. Let us know what Onkyo says on that.

Most headphones don't come with 2.5mm cables but there are a few on the way from Onkyo/Pioneer. A&K sells some rebranded Beyerdynamic headphones and earbuds/iems with balanced 2.5mm cables for their line of players. Those will work with DP-X1 as well.
http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/accessory/t1p.asp

The diagram only shows both amps in use but at least it gives a better idea of agc vs. balanced.

However, if only 1 of the dacs is used in SE mode, that means possibly more burn-in on 1 chip vs. the other (not good). If so, it might use the same chip/path as the single dac Pioneer since both units share the same pcb.

Will update as soon as I have feedback from Onkyo support.

Don't get why Onkyo makes it so difficult to use the full potential of the DP-X1, smells like a "bad compromise" between Pioneer and Onkyo DAP departments, like: "OK Onkyo parent company, you can use the dual chip dual amp modes and be more high end, but only if you restrict the use of these to the balanced output (that only 10% of an already niche market would use anyway :))".

I listened to the Pioneer XDP-100R today and it was surprisingly un-spectacular. It was good, really OK, but neither volume was very high, nor sound was spectacular. Yes louder than ZX-2, but  compared to my iPhone 6 it seemed less loud on maximum output. I used AKG3003's, very sensitive with only 8 ohms resistance.

My current plan: Try the Onkyo with the balanced out using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor. That way I will use best possible output with both amps and DACs, use in an SE connection. That should give better sound and more Oomph! for amplification. Adaptor on order is this simple one from ebay, if anyone has a better option at a reasonable price (less than £20 in my world) please shout out..

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,087 of 16,326
Quote:
  hello guys, I am new here. just got my X1 today,hm...is there no solution to the folder issue yet?
i am happy with the listening experience but...will be much better if i can browse folders with it...
i cant even create a playlist.....thanks in advance.

Quote:
It's a heck of a time even creating playlists. As far as I know the supported playlists are m3u, pls. You can create these playlists using various programs on your PC and copying them into SD card or X1 internal storage. But there's a bug to it. Once you reboot your player, the playlists will go missing.

Now this is getting ridiculous. Lack of folder browsing is one thing but no playlists on the DP-X1 is just negligent.

For all it's stripped down design, I was at at least able to get around my Ponoplayers lack of folders by using playlists. Seems the Onkyo has everything but the ability to play untagged files. Why list WAV files as compatible if the device can't even find or locate them?

If this isn't fixed, I'll have no choice but to pass on the Onkyo.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2,088 of 16,326
Will update as soon as I have feedback from Onkyo support.

Don't get why Onkyo makes it so difficult to use the full potential of the DP-X1, smells like a "bad compromise" between Pioneer and Onkyo DAP departments, like: "OK Onkyo parent company, you can use the dual chip dual amp modes and be more high end, but only if you restrict the use of these to the balanced output (that only 10% of an already niche market would use anyway :))".

I listened to the Pioneer XDP-100R today and it was surprisingly un-spectacular. It was good, really OK, but neither volume was very high, nor sound was spectacular. Yes louder than ZX-2, but  compared to my iPhone 6 it seemed less loud on maximum output. I used AKG3003's, very sensitive with only 8 ohms resistance.

My current plan: Try the Onkyo with the balanced out using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor. That way I will use best possible output with both amps and DACs, use in an SE connection. That should give better sound and more Oomph! for amplification. Adaptor on order is this simple one from ebay, if anyone has a better option at a reasonable price (less than £20 in my world) please shout out..

After owning several players, I personally look at other factors now like ease of use. Balanced is preferred but not required. SE can sound great too when designed properly (just look at the Questyle QP1R). The Pioneer has better software than the Onkyo and is starting to look like a better choice especially if its cheaper.

I find most players sound different but rarely hear huge improvements from one to another. Even harder to distinguish them using sensitive headphones unless iems where hissing can be a factor. Definitely try the Onkyo balanced and let us know how it sounds but I don't expect it to be night and day vs. SE.

Have some 3.5mm trrs balanced cables for my Z7 and PM-3 so they could work with Hifiman's balanced out and also use the extra grounding on the ZX2 and HA-2.

Got this adapter (not compatible with SE cables) for when I finally get a device that has 2.5mm balanced but the Onkyo may no longer be the one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108HJVG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,091 of 16,326
why is there is a risk of damage to player or headphones when converting 4-pole 2.5mm to 3-pole 3.5mm? Isn't that the same as using both amps in serial mode? 

Please do not do that. You will short the amp and possibly kill the device.

Also, I highly doubt that the single ended mode uses only one dac. It is far more likely that the amp works better in balanced Than in single ended. Or at least better to most of our ears. In which case I'm not surprised. Take a look at the schiit balanced amps the SE output is ****, even the makers will tell you that if you wana use them use them balanced, and you're better off somewhere else I you want smth single ended. This is solely because those amps are designed to work their best in balanced mode.

Whether this is the case in the Onkyo I don't know, but I am inclined to thinking so. In which case the SE was probably just there for convenience.

Again, please do NOT attempt to use a single ended termination on the balanced socket, even with the use of an adapter. It does not work that way and you might just kill the Dap.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,092 of 16,326

Also, I highly doubt that the single ended mode uses only one dac. It is far more likely that the amp works better in balanced Than in single ended. Or at least better to most of our ears. In which case I'm not surprised. Take a look at the schiit balanced amps the SE output is ****, even the makers will tell you that if you wana use them use them balanced, and you're better off somewhere else I you want smth single ended. This is solely because those amps are designed to work their best in balanced mode.

Whether this is the case in the Onkyo I don't know, but I am inclined to thinking so. In which case the SE was probably just there for convenience.

Again, please do NOT attempt to use a single ended termination on the balanced socket, even with the use of an adapter. It does not work that way and you might just kill the Dap.

Thank you , got it :) better to check in here before trying such risky things!

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,093 of 16,326
Question for those who bought this DAP from Price Japan and reside in the US: 
Did you receive your unit already? How long did you have to wait for delivery (since ordering)?

Also a general question, Do we know if Price Japan current shipping time of 5 to 6 weeks is because they are trying to buy from the cheapest provider or is it because the supply is too small at this point? 
Buy Smart Japan allows you to buy from some other websites at a higher price, wondering if it is worth it if they do have the product in stock.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,094 of 16,326
Did you receive your unit already? How long did you have to wait for delivery (since ordering)?

Also a general question, Do we know if Price Japan current shipping time of 5 to 6 weeks is because they are trying to buy from the cheapest provider or is it because the supply is too small at this point? 
Buy Smart Japan allows you to buy from some other websites at a higher price, wondering if it is worth it if they do have the product in stock.

As stated above, 5 - 6 weeks estimated but it seems impossible now as everything is sold out in Japan. Kaneda san has already told me there is no news for upcoming shipment at this point. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,095 of 16,326

Yea my Audio GD NFB10ES2 has the same issue, sounds like crap SE out, I will say though my iBasso PB2 does have a very good SE out! [Balanced is better ofc]

though the lack of a Line out feature does disappoint :/ 

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,096 of 16,326

It's because there's no stock at all, even in the whole of Japan atm.
Pricejapan's price is actually lower than the retail prices on yodobashi, etc. so I think they order these at wholesale prices.

If price isn't an issue for you and you don't want to wait, there are actually some people flipping these units on ebay/carousell with quite large markups in price.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,098 of 16,326
I have to thank Lil B Tha Basedgod/Flying Spaghetti Monster/etc. Got a message from BuySmartJapan.com, that my DP-X1 order is shipping today (or tomorrow). I think I beat out the drought just in time. Hope it arrives soon. EMS has always been fast; sometimes unexpectedly fast. Now I gotta worry about possible customs fees.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2,100 of 16,326
one simple way to solve the problem rather than implementing folder browsing and playlist control is to open the dac access for third party apps! others have already done those features. being an android device, why not just take the advantage of the the os?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back