ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,071 of 16,326
The way I understood it from the interview done at the press launch was that there are two balanced modes both using the 2.5 plug. One uses both dacs and amps in parallel. Ie one per channel. The other is ACG which uses them in serial. Ie the first one converts the signal and the second one smoothes it removing jitter etc. You change this internally I believe. Anyone that has one please shout if this is wrong!

FYI customcans will make a copper/silver balanced cable for sennheiser which ends in a 2.5mm. You can choose the colours and it costs around £60.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,072 of 16,326
  Exactly what I answered myself to that same question before ordering the adaptor.

haha, yes. there is nothing wrong but people would have a preference. just as i do not want to stack up my dap with an amp. adding an adapter adds one more variable that could potentially change the sound and one more thing to worry about. but very good suggestion, though.

the dp-x1 for me is on the same level of x7 just having a taste, but i really hope the balanced out can give the dp-x1 a kick up one level. who would not want to buy a dap with great sound at a lower price. ^_^

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #2,073 of 16,326
I have a couple of balanced cables on the way, but in the meantime, I'm using an high grade adaptor that I got a while ago - I think from Ted at Headphone Lounge, and silver in construction - which has 3.5mm female and 2.5mm TRRS at the other.
It adds a bit of width by allowing me to use the balanced output.
The ACG setting on SE output isn't bad tho. My best SE cable (an 8-braid hybrid) sounds as wide as some balanced cables have done through other devices.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2,074 of 16,326
The way I understood it from the interview done at the press launch was that there are two balanced modes both using the 2.5 plug. One uses both dacs and amps in parallel. Ie one per channel. The other is ACG which uses them in serial. Ie the first one converts the signal and the second one smoothes it removing jitter etc. You change this internally I believe. Anyone that has one please shout if this is wrong!

FYI customcans will make a copper/silver balanced cable for sennheiser which ends in a 2.5mm. You can choose the colours and it costs around £60.

Both are still in parallel I believe. 
The only difference is that in ACG mode, the negative output is set to ground (0V).
This picture demonstrates the difference quite well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/lightbox/post/12153179/id/1519083

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,075 of 16,326
hello guys, I am new here. just got my X1 today,hm...is there no solution to the folder issue yet?
i am happy with the listening experience but...will be much better if i can browse folders with it...
i cant even create a playlist.....thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,076 of 16,326
hello guys, I am new here. just got my X1 today,hm...is there no solution to the folder issue yet?
i am happy with the listening experience but...will be much better if i can browse folders with it...

It's a heck of a time even creating playlists. As far as I know the supported playlists are m3u, pls. You can create these playlists using various programs on your PC and copying them into SD card or X1 internal storage. But there's a bug to it. Once you reboot your player, the playlists will go missing.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,077 of 16,326

Oh, I just read the post about no folder browsing feature and then you asked this. I think there is no "cheap" lunch then. the l5 pro does not support playlist and the dp-x1 has no folder browser....Am I stuck with the X7 or maybe a second hand A(over)K(priced) player.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,078 of 16,326
It's a heck of a time even creating playlists. As far as I know the supported playlists are m3u, pls. You can create these playlists using various programs on your PC and copying them into SD card or X1 internal storage. But there's a bug to it. Once you reboot your player, the playlists will go missing.

thanks for replying. i see,,,,onkyo should really do something about this soon...i guess i will just use shuffle mode at the time being....>< 

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,079 of 16,326
  Oh, I just read the post about no folder browsing feature and then you asked this. I think there is no "cheap" lunch then. the l5 pro does not support playlist and the dp-x1 has no folder browser....Am I stuck with the X7 or maybe a second hand A(over)K(priced) player.

haha~ i do acknowledge this folder issue before buying X1, cause the design, sound, price suit me the best~ i guess that there is no way that we can buy a perfect dap?

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,080 of 16,326
I have a couple of balanced cables on the way, but in the meantime, I'm using an high grade adaptor that I got a while ago - I think from Ted at Headphone Lounge, and silver in construction - which has 3.5mm female and 2.5mm TRRS at the other.
It adds a bit of width by allowing me to use the balanced output.
The ACG setting on SE output isn't bad tho. My best SE cable (an 8-braid hybrid) sounds as wide as some balanced cables have done through other devices.

Could you post a picture of that 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor please? Did you try it with the AK120? Do you know where I can order it? Thanks in advance!

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,081 of 16,326
haha~ i do acknowledge this folder issue before buying X1, cause the design, sound, price suit me the best~ i guess that there is no way that we can buy a perfect dap?

well, if those third party apps are able to use the dual dac like the x7, it would be a no brainer for me then. i want folder browsing, i will download neutron or hiby. you want more feature, there will always be an apps out there.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,082 of 16,326
Caved in and gotten the Pioneer at a very good price from a friend. condition is LNIB. Since DAP is not my main rig and just need something better than my iPhone, bah just got this rather than wait for the Onkyo ( no stock ) and will just use single ended.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,083 of 16,326
  Yes AGC is a good point actually. What is still not clear is if both DACs are used in SE mode or not. I called Onkyo customer service today and they raised a ticket with the technical team in Hong Kong. I find it a little frustrating that the SQ of the DP-X1 is so different in balanced mode compared to SE mode, as I don't have a clear picture on which headphones actually have 2.5mm balanced cables...

Good question. Let us know what Onkyo says on that.

Most headphones don't come with 2.5mm cables but there are a few on the way from Onkyo/Pioneer. A&K sells some rebranded Beyerdynamic headphones and earbuds/iems with balanced 2.5mm cables for their line of players. Those will work with DP-X1 as well.
http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/accessory/t1p.asp

Both are still in parallel I believe. 
The only difference is that in ACG mode, the negative output is set to ground (0V).
This picture demonstrates the difference quite well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/lightbox/post/12153179/id/1519083

The diagram only shows both amps in use but at least it gives a better idea of agc vs. balanced.

However, if only 1 of the dacs is used in SE mode, that means possibly more burn-in on 1 chip vs. the other (not good). If so, it might use the same chip/path as the single dac Pioneer since both units share the same pcb.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,084 of 16,326

Could you post a picture of that 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor please? Did you try it with the AK120? Do you know where I can order it? Thanks in advance!

I have this one 
http://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/products/null-audio-2-5mm-balanced-to-3-5mm-se-converter-for-astell-kern-players

Female 2.5mm - Male 3.5mm

The balanced cable I ordered is Linum Bax balanced. With the adapter I will be able to use it on my AK Jr which is only SE. 

I hesitated with Ted's cables that look affordable.And Forzaaudioworks that do also balanced cables. 
In fact, this is just on option for custom cable makers. And you have cables at every price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back