ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 13, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #2,027 of 16,326
  Hi guys, can anyone confirm the battery life of 16 hrs is for the single ended or balance output?

From the website - 約16時間(FLAC 96 kHz/24 bitアンバランス再生時)

Unbalanced, playing 24bit/96kHz FLAC.  Considering that manufacturers usually over-estimates their time I'd say probably 14hrs playing the same format.  

Playing MP3s should be more efficient, that and if you know your way around Android killing/disabling a bunch of Google services should squeeze a bit more time as well.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #2,029 of 16,326
I don't think it can put out 16hrs battery life be it SE or balanced. I'm using it for near 20mins and the battery has fell 10%.

Mine around 7-8%/hr after 1st charge - on SE vol ard 90+, airplane mode on. Most of the time screen off.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #2,030 of 16,326
I just got my hands on the DP-X1 several hours ago and fully loaded it up with my music, I am moving from the ZX-1.  

First impression is that this is a nice DAP, construction is solid, and sound wise very tweakable with the equalizer, gain output selection and digital filters.  The output power instantly blows away the ZX-1.  I'm listening to it with my K812 right now on normal gain setting and it's very enjoyable.  The UI doesn't bother me at all, in fact it was very intuitive to me and took maybe 15 minutes for me to figure it out the minor controls like how to go from the player control interface to the album selection interface, and I think the UI design looks great with the giant monochrome-fied album art instead of the full colour artwork, very classy IMO.  The swiping gesture controls are good too.  There are in fact some very nice touches to this DAP like the "stand alone" mode button which instantly switches off all Wifi/Bluetooth/screen with a touch of the button, but turns them back on once you use the power on button to turn on the screen, so you get a good middle ground between full airplane mode but also able to access smartphone functions.  I'm not going to bother with all the streaming services stuff since they aren't available in my country, all the Google stuff is going to be disabled as well.  

I can't test balance mode yet since I don't have any balance cables.  I'll probably be getting one for my pair of Fitear in a couple of weeks time.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2,031 of 16,326

Any apps or games you can try would be fine. Thanks.

If it works with each one you try that would be great. Would take the guess work out of what apps to use.

This stuff reminds me of Smart TVs that only do certain content compared to a HTPC that can do it all. Plus, ALL the sound can be routed to a receiver/speakers/soundbar. Imagine if only some stuff worked with your 5.1 sound system and you were forced to use the crappy TV speakers for everything else?

Ok I can confirm that the Sony NW-ZX2's EQ works with games and other apps. I wonder why Onkyo/Pioneer haven't been able to do the same. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #2,032 of 16,326
Is DP-X1 has 'charge only' mode when connect to PC?

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,033 of 16,326
  I just got my hands on the DP-X1 several hours ago and fully loaded it up with my music, I am moving from the ZX-1.  

First impression is that this is a nice DAP, construction is solid, and sound wise very tweakable with the equalizer, gain output selection and digital filters.  The output power instantly blows away the ZX-1.  I'm listening to it with my K812 right now on normal gain setting and it's very enjoyable.  The UI doesn't bother me at all, in fact it was very intuitive to me and took maybe 15 minutes for me to figure it out the minor controls like how to go from the player control interface to the album selection interface, and I think the UI design looks great with the giant monochrome-fied album art instead of the full colour artwork, very classy IMO.  The swiping gesture controls are good too.  There are in fact some very nice touches to this DAP like the "stand alone" mode button which instantly switches off all Wifi/Bluetooth/screen with a touch of the button, but turns them back on once you use the power on button to turn on the screen, so you get a good middle ground between full airplane mode but also able to access smartphone functions.  I'm not going to bother with all the streaming services stuff since they aren't available in my country, all the Google stuff is going to be disabled as well.  

I can't test balance mode yet since I don't have any balance cables.  I'll probably be getting one for my pair of Fitear in a couple of weeks time.

How does the SQ compare with the ZX1?

I'm currently using the ZX1 and am contemplating switching over.

Thanks

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,034 of 16,326
I don't think it can put out 16hrs battery life be it SE or balanced. I'm using it for near 20mins and the battery has fell 10%.

Mine around 7-8%/hr after 1st charge - on SE vol ard 90+, airplane mode on. Most of the time screen off.

Can I ask where you peeps purchased your unit?, desperately looking for other sources right now, it seems Japan has no stock at all from every store i looked.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,035 of 16,326
  How does the SQ compare with the ZX1?

I'm currently using the ZX1 and am contemplating switching over.

Thanks

With my Fitear the SQ change is not that big - a tiny bit better separation and a bit more power so opening up the Fitear a bit more at the low end in unbalanced.  But with the advantage of going balanced and utilize dual DACs in that mode on the DP-X1 then I would say the options to tweak further is DP-X1 hands down if you have balanced equipment.  On the K812 Pro no contest as the ZX1 barely drives them on full volume, whereas the DP-X1 goes plenty loud with plenty of volume notches to spare even in normal gain mode.  So if you have full size headphones you'd want to go DP-X1 straight away over the ZX1.  The DP-X1 is also much darker, users of ZX1 would know it has a very slight hiss with sensitive IEMs.  Though I would guess the ZX1 will very likely have the upper hand in battery life if that is important to you.

This DAP is beginning to look like the best choice if you want the best balance between cost/performance/design/quality.  Chinese DAPs usually fails at the design/quality aspect, AK doesn't hit the right cost/performance ratio, Sony's slightly lacking in performance when it comes to power output etc.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,037 of 16,326

Can I ask where you peeps purchased your unit?, desperately looking for other sources right now, it seems Japan has no stock at all from every store i looked.

A friend bought it for me.

A few more things to add: the transfer software by Onkyo is so lacking in function it is almost junk.  Thank goodness Sony's Media Go software is compatible.  Just need to make sure to configure Media Go to not transcode hi-res files when syncing and it's good to go.

Also that horrible "protection sheet" words - you can scratch it off almost without damaging the sheet if you are careful.  Just did it using a pocket knife.  Serviceable until I get a proper protection sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back