ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,741 of 16,328
Does the Onkyo "like" Exfat cards not formatted by the player itself?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,742 of 16,328
We can only browse by
- artist
- songs
- albums
- genres
[COLOR=FF00AA]- compliations[/COLOR]
- composers
- format

So at least we can use this as some sort of workaround for multi-artist albums.

On a related note, how does the stock player handle the "different artist, same album title" scenario when sorting by album title (without using the compilation tag)? Single albums or one big mess?

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,743 of 16,328

Rows of the DP-X1 (and the Pioneer) for demoing at Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo today.  Hopefully the stability issues are fixed.  

Personally I cannot live with this smartphone-interface and will be sticking to my AK.  But I`ll report if Onkyo or others release any accessories - the DP-X1 seems to be screaming for a nice fitted leather case . . . 

In all honesty, I have zero issues with Android on my phone, but I really don't need it on a DAP. I guess I am not in the masses.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #1,744 of 16,328
@georgelai57 I got good news for you, it can read every card REALLY FAST. Yes, it reads REALLY REALLY fast like your normal android smartphone, just get yourself a high speed SDXC and you are set.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,745 of 16,328
@georgelai57
 I got good news for you, it can read every card REALLY FAST. Yes, it reads REALLY REALLY fast like your normal android smartphone, just get yourself a high speed SDXC and you are set.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,747 of 16,328
When I burned my multi CD sets to Flac files, I numbered the songs sequentially. If disk 1 ended at song 12, I numbered the songs from disk 2 starting with 13. In digital, I have no use for using multiple CD volume numbers since I am not limited to the capacity of a CD.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,748 of 16,328
  Didn't want to comment until I had read the whole thread. That took almost a week.
tongue_smile.gif

I had found my way into portable Audiophilia via the way of good old Fiio starting with their  DAC/HP AMP E17 paired with Shure SE535 (but I must confess still listening to mp3, we have to start somewhere I guess) I soon upgraded to the E18, being an Android phone user and using my phones as my music source.

While looking to upgrade to the Oppo HA2 Headphone AMP I came across the Chord Mojo and thing have started to escalate. I now had a DAC/HP amp (along with HI-RES files by this stage) that just got me wanting more. Neutron Player, Onkyo HF-Player and a few other apps tried but none convincing enough to get me to purchase outright after the trial period until I discovered UAPP. The combination of UAPP, Chord Mojo and Grado SR325e got me wanting more.

Having compared the AK players to my Nexus 6P, Mojo and UAPP, for my personal preferences 'ONLY' the AK240 had a discernable difference, but I was in no way going to pay £2k+ for that experience. But alas the Mojo and USB does not make for the best travelling companions and an alternative solution needed.

Players to be considered initially Fiio X3ii and X5ii (I was not aware that the X7 was in the pipeline at this time) Reviews of these players hadn't convinced me and I decided to seek used AK players instead, but still the prices for 1st generation were far above those of the X5ii and the AK100ii and AK120ii prices were for me prohibitive still.

As my search continued, up popped the X7 which with Android I was certain to be my next player, searches in the forums here on Head-Fi often mentioned the Pioneer XDP100R, thanks Waters muddied once more especially when further research revealed that the Pioneer XDP100R DAP would have a Onkyo sibling making an appearance towards the end of the year. On paper the DP-X1 seemed the obvious way to go.

I had shortlisted 4 DAPS

1.Fiio X7,
2.Pioneer XDP100R
3.Onkyo DP-X1
4. Used AK100ii or AK120ii

Reading mtthefirst and Orky261 first experiences with this DAP have steered my preference in the direction of the Onkyo

If the sound is nearer to the AK DAP's (which I did like) and playback and soundstage are as the sound engineers intended, this appeals to me and my musical tastes as this varies from Jazz to Classical to RAP to Pop to Reggae and Easy Listening, no need for unnecessary Bass bias for me.

One thing though I am prepared to wait until this unit is available in my market in the UK as I can make do with my Mojo, UAPP and Nexus 6P combination until then. (Might just out of curiosity trial the Pioneer which is available now) 
wink_face.gif

Edit: Now off to the Pioneer thread to read through that too
Edit 2: Hoping both Philips headphones are also available at the same time

I was on the same route and ended up bbuying and keeping Cowon Plenue P1. Tried and returned Fiio X5 2nd, AK120ii, Sony ZX2. So, do consider and try P1. it's a very good player IMO.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,750 of 16,328
When I burned my multi CD sets to Flac files, I numbered the songs sequentially. If disk 1 ended at song 12, I numbered the songs from disk 2 starting with 13. In digital, I have no use for using multiple CD volume numbers since I am not limited to the capacity of a CD.

I do that as well, and include the disc # tag on top of that. So: Track 12, Disc 1 and then Track 13, Disc 2. Covers any use case I've encountered well. It should be relatively easy to update one's library with a good media manager like J River.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,751 of 16,328
I don't know about it being a USB DAC to a computer, but it could always happen although in my opinion, they wouldn't want to cannibalize another product line of theirs. The top priority right now is to sort out the clunky UI. Everything behind the scene to play the music is already running relatively smooth but software side, they really need to iron out the kink. I still find myself crashing once in awhile, so far I've crashed twice.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,752 of 16,328
So sad to hear of these problems. I look at my basic Blackberry Leap, sounds awesome and it has never crashed while playing music. Anyway please Onkyo, get this product mature so those of us left still interested can buy this DAP! I can't begin to imagine how they could skip cover art while playing? At least offer some option to enable it as a view. Thankfully it appears from the sparse input so far that the DP-X1 sounds amazing.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,753 of 16,328

Sounds more and more like Onkyo just piggybacked their existing android HF Player app onto a DAP that had such great hardware potential. Even the menu/options screens look the same.

A player with dual card slots that doesn't display album art and lacks folder browsing/playback doesn't make much sense no matter how great it sounds. Oversights like that may have been tolerated a few years ago but there's no excuse nowadays when the dap market is even more crowded and competitive.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,754 of 16,328
No folder browsing? Well I'm out. That's absolutely vital to me.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #1,755 of 16,328
I wonder how to manage .WAV file with stock player. Since MP3tag is not support .WAV file, so I can't edit Artist, Album, etc. Maybe I have to convert them to .FLAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back