Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #286 of 401
Are the pads replaceable somehow? A800 is a nice headphone, I like the style too... But the pads could use more debth.

I commented on pad-rolling for these headphones back in April. Look at Post #233
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onk...pping-march-2016.793885/page-16#post-14144214

At that time I did not have the 100% velour version of the Brainwavz round (100mm) pads. That's probably the best thing to start your pad-rolling journey with, since a velour-for-velour pad swap should have the least effect on the sound.

Instead, I used Brainwavz round pleathers as my 2nd pad-rolling option. They sounded pretty good at first & definitely had somewhat more depth (so ears don't touch the drivers). But after the headphone was fully burned in, I realized they were elevating bass & muting treble too much, so I put back the stock pads & found the sound had become quite a bit more balanced, less treble elevation. Sold the A800s soon thereafter.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #290 of 401
I commented on pad-rolling for these headphones back in April. Look at Post #233
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onk...pping-march-2016.793885/page-16#post-14144214

At that time I did not have the 100% velour version of the Brainwavz round (100mm) pads. That's probably the best thing to start your pad-rolling journey with, since a velour-for-velour pad swap should have the least effect on the sound.

Instead, I used Brainwavz round pleathers as my 2nd pad-rolling option. They sounded pretty good at first & definitely had somewhat more depth (so ears don't touch the drivers). But after the headphone was fully burned in, I realized they were elevating bass & muting treble too much, so I put back the stock pads & found the sound had become quite a bit more balanced, less treble elevation. Sold the A800s soon thereafter.
Hi @Pharmaboy , I had a few hours audition with the A800 a few days ago and I liked it sooo much that I'm considering to sell my HD660S to make way for the A800. The HD660S is a bit dark to my liking (I like neutral sound signature). May I know why did you sell the A800? And do you have another headphone recommendation of the same sound signature within the price bracket? Thanks!

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #291 of 401
Hi @Pharmaboy , I had a few hours audition with the A800 a few days ago and I liked it sooo much that I'm considering to sell my HD660S to make way for the A800. The HD660S is a bit dark to my liking (I like neutral sound signature). May I know why did you sell the A800? And do you have another headphone recommendation of the same sound signature within the price bracket? Thanks!

I thought the A800 was pretty good for what it is--but the comfort was bad, at least in my case. It also was more or less duplicative of other headphones I had on hand...so I sold it.

Others on Head-Fi have way more experience than me w/inexpensive and mid-priced open back headphones. Still, a couple suggestions:

1 - AR-H1 Planar Magnetic Headphones: Massdrop is having a drop for Acoustic Research planar open-back headphones @1/2 the usual retail price (Massdrop price is $300). I haven't heard these, but I did some reading on them yesterday. Description of their sound seems fairly close to what you're looking for. Regardless, I'm a real open-back planar lover, and this looks like quite a deal. The only issue is that this HP might need more power than the usual dynamic headphones: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/acoustic-research-ar-h1-planar-magnetic-headphones

2 - Akai 50X Professional w/extensive mods by @Slater : It's a long story, but this Head-Fi'er (a very talented & knowledgeable modder of headphones) took the basic Akai 50X (a somewhat warm, bassy closed-back ChiFi design) and turned it into an open-back headphone for me...the result was considerably better treble and resolution than stock. I have no idea what he would want for one of these...whatever it is, I'm guessing it's within the range of what you paid for the A800s.

Here's a link to my review of the modded Akai 50X: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/modded-akai-professional-x50-vs-stock.23127/reviews

3 - E-Mu Teak: These are closed back. They have terrific bass, also some sparkle in the upper mids/lower treble. I liked them a lot. Sold mine only because the pads bothered me (and pad-rolling was difficult). Others on Head-Fi report good results w/this or that aftermarket pad, though. You can get these new for ~$399, either on Massdrop or direct from the mfr in Singapore. I can get you his email address if you like.

4 - 1More H1707: Another closed headphone. I've never heard these, but some on Head-Fi rave about the. The descriptions of sound I've read sound suitable for your tastes. These are on Amazon/US for $230.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #292 of 401
I thought the A800 was pretty good for what it is--but the comfort was bad, at least in my case. It also was more or less duplicative of other headphones I had on hand...so I sold it.

Others on Head-Fi have way more experience than me w/inexpensive and mid-priced open back headphones. Still, a couple suggestions:

1 - AR-H1 Planar Magnetic Headphones: Massdrop is having a drop for Acoustic Research planar open-back headphones @1/2 the usual retail price (Massdrop price is $300). I haven't heard these, but I did some reading on them yesterday. Description of their sound seems fairly close to what you're looking for. Regardless, I'm a real open-back planar lover, and this looks like quite a deal. The only issue is that this HP might need more power than the usual dynamic headphones: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/acoustic-research-ar-h1-planar-magnetic-headphones

2 - Akai 50X Professional w/extensive mods by @Slater : It's a long story, but this Head-Fi'er (a very talented & knowledgeable modder of headphones) took the basic Akai 50X (a somewhat warm, bassy closed-back ChiFi design) and turned it into an open-back headphone for me...the result was considerably better treble and resolution than stock. I have no idea what he would want for one of these...whatever it is, I'm guessing it's within the range of what you paid for the A800s.

Here's a link to my review of the modded Akai 50X: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/modded-akai-professional-x50-vs-stock.23127/reviews

3 - E-Mu Teak: These are closed back. They have terrific bass, also some sparkle in the upper mids/lower treble. I liked them a lot. Sold mine only because the pads bothered me (and pad-rolling was difficult). Others on Head-Fi report good results w/this or that aftermarket pad, though. You can get these new for ~$399, either on Massdrop or direct from the mfr in Singapore. I can get you his email address if you like.

4 - 1More H1707: Another closed headphone. I've never heard these, but some on Head-Fi rave about the. The descriptions of sound I've read sound suitable for your tastes. These are on Amazon/US for $230.
Thanks for the detailed answer! Yeah unfortunately your assessment regarding comfort matches mine too. This might be the deal breaker for me because I like my headphones to be comfortable. Also, I'm actually very familiar with the AR-H1, my local audio store has one and it sounds pretty similar to my M1060 (I like them both too but not as much as the A800). And thanks for the heads up on the other 3 you mentioned, I'll take a closer look at them.

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #293 of 401
Thanks for the detailed answer! Yeah unfortunately your assessment regarding comfort matches mine too. This might be the deal breaker for me because I like my headphones to be comfortable. Also, I'm actually very familiar with the AR-H1, my local audio store has one and it sounds pretty similar to my M1060 (I like them both too but not as much as the A800). And thanks for the heads up on the other 3 you mentioned, I'll take a closer look at them.
I had a problem with the comfort of the A800's at first as well (my ears slightly touched the drivers). I managed to fix it by removing the pads and putting cotton wool under them. There is a really neat gap between the actual pad part and the plastic part which connects to the body almost like made for the cotton wool. Other option would've been putting a foam over the driver like most headphones have, don't know if that would've changed the sound though. But now the comfort is a lot better. They're still quite a heavy pair so the comfort is not quite as good as the Sennheiser HD58X's I got a month ago.

Also the 58X's replaced the A800's as my general use headphones for gaming etc. but the A800's are still my go to pair for music especially aggressive stuff like metal and electronic. They're just so much fun to listen to. I'm not good at analysing sound but compared to the 58X's I'd say they have more bass and a lot more highs. It feels like with the A800's drum symbals are double as loud. Mids seem similar to me but more pronounced in the 58X's since it doesn't have as much bass and highs.

I was going to sell the A800's if I really liked the 58X's, which I do, but I just can't let the A800's go.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #294 of 401
20181023_132617.jpg
20181023_132454.jpg
20181023_132320.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #296 of 401
Then after that it became comfier?

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #297 of 401
Then after that it became comfier?

Yes, the driver does no longer touch my ears. I've got a small head so they do also feel more secure on my head now. I can use them for many hours without any discomfort whatsoever now.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #298 of 401
Yes, the driver does no longer touch my ears. I've got a small head so they do also feel more secure on my head now. I can use them for many hours without any discomfort whatsoever now.

I have had no problem with the pads but still this might be good to try. Does it change the sound at all? I would hate to change the sound.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #299 of 401
I have had no problem with the pads but still this might be good to try. Does it change the sound at all? I would hate to change the sound.

No I don't think it does, I didn't want that either because I love them just the way they are. I do believe I get a slightly better seal with the cable inside though, probably because of my small head size :wink:

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #300 of 401
No I don't think it does, I didn't want that either because I love them just the way they are. I do believe I get a slightly better seal with the cable inside though, probably because of my small head size :wink:

what exactly is that cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back