Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
May 27, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #256 of 401
So what headphone are you sticking with? I find the A800 comfortable, but I don't have a large head so maybe that is why?

"What headphones are you sticking with?" That's amazing...you just nailed one of the mysteries of my current lifestyle...

There are 3 longterm keepers in house now: Fidelio X2s; Audeze LCD-2.1s; and ZMF Omni.

I'm also in the midst of some intriguing reviews of stock vs modded headphones (HD650; Akai Professional 50X). Those mods may well be keepers, too. The modded HD650 in particular (when heard on an OTL tube amp) has been a sonic revelation.

May 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #257 of 401
"What headphones are you sticking with?" That's amazing...you just nailed one of the mysteries of my current lifestyle...

There are 3 longterm keepers in house now: Fidelio X2s; Audeze LCD-2.1s; and ZMF Omni.

I'm also in the midst of some intriguing reviews of stock vs modded headphones (HD650; Akai Professional 50X). Those mods may well be keepers, too. The modded HD650 in particular (when heard on an OTL tube amp) has been a sonic revelation.
Yes the Fidelio X2 is nice as is the LCD 2, I owned the Fazor version. Yes, the Senn's out of an OTL can be addictive. I had the HD600 and HD800S both with the La Figaro 339. Sublime combinations. If you get a chance, and I hope that you do give a serious audition to the Pioneer SE Monitor 5. I know it is a closed headphone, but what a gem, truly underrated.

May 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #258 of 401
Thanks. No you didn't slam anything, I don't own M1060. I was just curious to know because many are praising it highly and from the reviews I understood that they could sound a little like A800.

I'm still liking my A800, they still wow me after listening to many other headphones after them. Though they may be a little too bright in some songs.
I really did try to get the M1060 hype, but as I said I didn't find any magic and I would take the 400i over it easily. Who knows maybe if I could side by side them I might feel different?

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #259 of 401
I received the ROUND (velour) pads from Brainwavz. My A800:s are now more comfortable as the drivers do not touch my ears anymore. These pads removed the slight sibilance that I experienced with the original pads, but now the headphones sound a little more congested and "bassy".

lZlrwmKy_o.jpg
AaJHFjvx_o.jpg

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #260 of 401
I received the ROUND (velour) pads from Brainwavz. My A800:s are now more comfortable as the drivers do not touch my ears anymore. These pads removed the slight sibilance that I experienced with the original pads, but now the headphones sound a little more congested and "bassy".

lZlrwmKy_o.jpg
AaJHFjvx_o.jpg

I have no plans to change the pads. If they ever wear out I hope I can find an official replacement. I have this fear that all of my headphones will need pad replacements all at the same time a few years from now. Foam goes bad with time.

What is that cable? I love the stock cable but sometimes it is more cable than I want....

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #261 of 401
What is that cable? I love the stock cable but sometimes it is more cable than I want....

It is the one I got from Aliexpress and which I mentioned in post #248.

I'm not sure yet will I keep these pads or change the original ones back. These seem to take away a bit of the clarity which I don't like but these have their advantages too.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #262 of 401
It is the one I got from Aliexpress and which I mentioned in post #248.

I'm not sure yet will I keep these pads or change the original ones back. These seem to take away a bit of the clarity which I don't like but these have their advantages too.

oops... sorry I was lazy and did not scroll back. I hate when people do that:)

always a trade off with pad changes. It has rarely worked for me. Some attempts have completely ruined the sound ... like when I put Brainwavz on my NAD HP50.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #263 of 401

lZlrwmKy_o.jpg
AaJHFjvx_o.jpg

I did exactly the same thing w/my A800s while they burned in (at first they sounded rather bright). Those velour Brainwavz pads sure did the trick.

However, by the time the HPs were fully burned in, their sound had changed/improved a lot. I finally took the Brainwavz off, since they made the sound muffled and distant. After 150 hrs burn-in and w/stock pads only, the sound was greatly improved, though still w/a touch of brightness/sibilance (source- and music-dependent.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #264 of 401
still w/a touch of brightness/sibilance (source- and music-dependent.

...and maybe hearing dependent as well? Maybe there is an upside to age related high frequency loss...

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #265 of 401
How does the A800 compare to the X2? I just got the X2HR recently and am astounded at the comfort, build quality and sound (had the original X2 in 2015 but returned it bc of QC issues and pads were uncomfortable). All around excellent. Is the A800 similar in terms of comfort and sound signature?

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #266 of 401
How does the A800 compare to the X2? I just got the X2HR recently and am astounded at the comfort, build quality and sound (had the original X2 in 2015 but returned it bc of QC issues and pads were uncomfortable). All around excellent. Is the A800 similar in terms of comfort and sound signature?

X2:s are more comfortable and soundstage is bigger than in A800 but A800 has better clarity and bass doesn't leak into midrange (X2 does that). I would say that highs are also more natural sounding in A800 than in X2. For gaming, X2 is better.

X2:s were my previous headphones, before I got A800:s.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #267 of 401
I did exactly the same thing w/my A800s while they burned in (at first they sounded rather bright). Those velour Brainwavz pads sure did the trick.

However, by the time the HPs were fully burned in, their sound had changed/improved a lot. I finally took the Brainwavz off, since they made the sound muffled and distant. After 150 hrs burn-in and w/stock pads only, the sound was greatly improved, though still w/a touch of brightness/sibilance (source- and music-dependent.
I changed to the velour Brainwavz as well and the first thing I noticed was that they sounded a bit more muffled. However I don't know what exactly changed but I did end up liking the end result nonetheless. Especially the comfort is now amazing. I didn't do any back and forth testing though because installing the Brainwavz was a pain. Now I want to try the stock-pads again but I don't really want the drivers touch my ears again. Quite a dilemma...

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #270 of 401
Well, I got PharmaBoy’s A800 today....

The sound is astoundingly good. It’s like an improved version of the X2. The bass quality and quantity is just unreal for an open back headphone and there is no negative impact on the other frequencies. It still sounds remarkably clean and articulate. No harsh edges either.

The fit and design is a bit awkward to say the least. The X2 definitely has the advantage in those areas. It’s not so much the depth of the ear cups, which seem fine to me but more the weight and the inability of the headband to effectively disperse it. It’s not an uncomfortable headphone per se. They just could have done a better job of giving it a plusher and more buoyant feel. I will give it time and I may get used to the feel of it.

They are damn ugly but have an oddball charm. It looks like something you would get in a Radio Shack in 1984. Given the color scheme this would be perfect for a New Orleans Saints fan. It’s reasonably well built though. I like the cable too.

So overall this is seriously weird headphone that sounds stupendous. It flew under the radar around here but I can see it getting more appreciation in the years to come. It easily competes with much higher priced offerings from Sennheiser, Focal, Beyer etc.

I wonder if Onkyo will be doing another higher end headphone. That would be something to get excited about in light of the A800 achievement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back