Onkyo A800 – "MASTER CLASS"
Oct 24, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #46 of 278
@BoyNamedSue

Great review,

The king r10 at 65% shows that cups and damping can achieve that nirvana frequency. My favorite 007mk1 at 68% with their Stax amplifiers, such as the 313/717 and Quattro II, equal absolute bliss. Or just the 007mk1 with 313 and a Philips TDA1541/3 d/a has made me appreciate what sound is.

Mastering and perfecting that area can be a reference In a different way.

A class like A800 with a 10% distortion at the curve has obtained a ‘natural sound.’ It is amp picky and needs a 90%+ clean DAC and amplifier. Amps like jds element and stuff. Those items also should not boost and muddy the A800.

90% means smoothness and naturalness with 10% distortion. If I had a chance to recreate the HD800, it would be with a 100% curve. Fix everything, treble spikes, bass, and all unnatural spikes with the ability to adapt to their cups and pads. A full-fledged 100% hd800 and soundstage, maybe even 2x larger.

Cheers
:beers:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #47 of 278
What headphones do you choose over the a800 for vocals/midrange?

For vocals, I'm partial to electrostatics with tubes: HE60 and Jade 2's are some of favorites. For dynamics, I love the ATH-ESW10JPN and ES-R10. My preference leans towards coloration with a generous serving of euphonic sweetness, so my taste may not be for everyone.

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #48 of 278
with tubes
I agree, I have a 300B amplifier with R2R dacs that's producing coloration at its finest :kissing_closed_eyes:
My euphonic sweetness coming from 007, 300B and R2R dacs.

A800 producing that natural sound with clean, musical amps, portable players and my tablets.
20220730_214148~2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #49 of 278
I hear your point of having a reference for good sound, especially as a check and balance to the soaring prices of modern flagships, which is getting ridiculous and pricing out folks like myself from this hobby. However, I'm not sure if the Harmon curve is it. IMO, evaluating based on a frequency curve is quite reductionistic, and does not take into account the multitude of factors that constitute good sound.

Agree 100%. And this is very important to point out for anyone reading along.

All of that said, I'm definitely going to try to find a pair of A800 to try out just out of curiosity. Aside from this convo, someone just recently asked if I still enjoyed budget headphones in my other thread and I thought it was an intriguing question seeing as I just hopped off a flight in which I used my worn down (because of countless flights) AT-M50x headphones.

Got me thinking quite a bit. There are several cheaper and more affordable headphones that get the general basics and tonality down pact. What graphs simply can't show is the expansiveness and layering that the TOTL headphones achieve. The HD600, M50x, HD650 etc etc all strike the basic balance well, but just can't compare to the openness and spatial information the more TOTL headphones can. Just my $0.02 though..

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #50 of 278
@number1sixerfan

I just came back from seeing Machu Picchu and other places and took the beat solo pro with me. What a awesome headphone 😆
That's a underrated headphone.

I agree with you. That texture and layering can not be measure and other things. But if it comes to naturalness, it can only be found with a clean curve.

The topic should be, can a curve be clean and natural and musical without any treble spikes and bass problems. 009, raal s1ra, hifiman Sr, all have unnatural spikes and problems.

20221009_113642.jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #51 of 278
@number1sixerfan

I agree with you. That texture and layering can not be measure and other things. But if it comes to naturalness, it can only be found with a clean curve.

I just have to disagree there. It hasn't been my experience and it won't be plenty of other people's experiences because "naturalness", "correctness", etc. is subjective.

The topic should be, can a curve be clean and natural and musical without any treble spikes and bass problems. 009, raal s1ra, hifiman Sr, all have unnatural spikes and problems.

Each of these, plus plenty of others you listed in similar fashion all have major followings. Why? Because either they don't perceive there to be problems with them or the upside fully compensates for any issue any of them have. Again, we're only talking about tonality, so while something on your list may score "high", there are other potential issues with them.

Imo the only relevance the measurement has is in determining how close or far your own preferences are from it to help determine whether you'd potentially like a given headphone. But we simply disagree on how it should be used, no need for me to keep derailing the thread. :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #52 of 278
@number1sixerfan

Subjective should eventually be objective.

No derailing, I consider this the core point of the thread. 😀

It's funny because I was telling others (pm) I was calling it quits and moving on to another hobby soon and decided to create a final thread on the Sony R10, and then out of nowhere, the A800 arrived, a revelation I discovered and could not resist 😀
Why? Because it is to discover what is natural, the curve is based on a study; a consensus agreement of what is natural "just sounds right" means. People's inputs agree that the curve is the most correct (only I am explaining it through percentages). If we follow the curve, the headphones should be accurate and correct, natural, not euphoric.
Euphoric and natural are both different. All the headphones in the 60% range are euphoric, and the headphones, higher in % in theory, should be more natural.
Reference of natural vs. Euphonic
I agree with myself lol that the Harman curve is not the ultimate frequency but is very close, more in line with the a800 graph. So, a bit of dB here and there at a steady 90% can do it, and will leave the graph even one step closer to the perfect musical (vibrant) natural sound.

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #53 of 278
hello new join to the group , never thought still talking about my flavour of after 6 year usage A800 with great experience , four pairs of A800 ✌🏽Very impressive, I usually compare with my compilation of a800+mojo vs mhp1000+mha100 ..open back and closed back are all way with differences directions no matter ….pop…jazz they’re sound / black grand/ vocals dynamic etc will giving you a variety of choice to enjoy the same sound .. but my flavour are alway A800 no matter with Mojo or MHA !
Thanks for sharing your opinion and support me my choice worth even I get chance upgrade to HD800s !

Attachments

• 8111EDF6-5DB2-4E7F-9A4D-7EE3381A61ED.jpeg
    8111EDF6-5DB2-4E7F-9A4D-7EE3381A61ED.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #54 of 278
MY EARLY IMPRESSIONS WITH THE ONKYO A800

***Intro***

I respect Protoss. Every thread Protoss create has always been a satisfying read. From the 300B tubes thread to the Audio Technica The Master of Wood thread, we now have the Onkyo A800 Master Class thread. I was extremely curious about the Onkyo A800 after reading this thread and the original Onkyo A800 thread. I was lucky enough to find one in sale in the Classifieds thread. Instantly bought it the first minute I saw it went on sale. I was a little worried when I saw "modded cable", but I remember looking at previous Reddit threads of people complaining how their Onkyo A800 cable got destroyed and they can't find a replacement cable. So, I contacted the seller Xerath, ask some questions, and I completed some purchases. By the way, Xerath is a really cool seller, would recommend buying from him. Xerath also sells really unique looking headphones that even have some cool mods.

Before I go back to the story, I want to warn the audience about my taste in music. I am a huge weeb and a video game nerd. So that means I listen to mostly Jmusic and Video Games Ochrastras. I do listen to other genres as well like Classical Music and pretty much any song before the 2000s. The non-Jmusic and Classical music I tested the Onkyo A800 on was Carlos Santana (Abraxas), Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin IV), Grateful Dead (American Beauty), Michael Jackson (Off The Wall. I also to listened to Beat it, Thriller, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, and Black and White because I wanted to), and Daryl Hall and John Oates (Big Bam Boom). If I am not using my DAP, they are all sourced via Qobuz. Since I won't be going too deep into details in the story on how it sounds I will probably give my quick impression here. I honestly don't think I found any new details with the music I listen to. I kinda expected that since I already listen to the same songs for quite a while with already good technical headphones. What I did find is a whole new experience. Something I never experience before with any other headphones. Every album I start feels so fresh and new even though I have been listening to them for years. I honestly don't know why they sound so fresh and new, but I think it might be because the Onkyo A800 just does everything excellently, not well, excellently. So throwing any album at the Onkyo A800 no matter what genre it is was such a euphoric experience for me. I will probably talk about my impression summary with the Onkyo A800 in the last paragraph. So, you can skip to the last paragraph if you want. The meat of this early impression post is just going to be about me remembering my reactions on the Onkyo A800.

***Day 1 Impression***
Ok, back to the story, I completed the purchase from Xerath and the Onkyo A800 finally last Thursday, November 10th evening. Super excited, I unbox the headphones. I plug the Onkyo A800 into my nearest source, which was my DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch). I was pretty tired, so I just continue playing the song I was listening to on my way home. When the music started playing, I think my first reaction was screaming, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT". I don't remember what the first song was because I was so shocked at how it sounded, but I think it was Tori no Uta the Roselia version. I remember reading a couple of reviews before getting the Onkyo A800, but I was still not prepared for what the Onkyo A800 could deliver. I never thought an open headphone can have so much authority and power in its bass and yet the music still remains clear and detailed. I checked the EQ and I was like, "oh the EQ was still on, that's why". I turned off the EQ and... it still got producing this powerful, yet beautiful sound. I was freaking out. It's probably not an exaggeration to say that I lost my mind. To a professional critique, they would probably say this is good and this headphone a nod of approval. I, a guy who is typically easily impressed, was losing my mind. I was really excited. I haven't felt this excited about a headphone since my first good headphone, the Sennheiser HD600. I texted everybody I knew, telling them I finally found it. I finally found the "Perfect Headphone". I wanted everyone to know about the Onkyo A800. After I told everybody about the Onkyo A800, I boot up my computer and tube amp and continue my listening session there. I noticed the bass got weaker when I switch from my DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) to my tube amp (Cayin HA-3A). The Onkyo A800 did lose a little bass, but I feel the vocals have gotten way clearer on the tube amp. So I spent the rest of my Thursday evening listening to music in a dark room with nothing but my computer screen lit up.

***Day 2 Impression***
Unfortunately, I have gotten a lot weaker and my body felt fatigued. I was probably feeling the after-effect of getting too excited using the Onkyo A800 and the adrenaline probably left my body. I also slept like 3 hours. I push through, got ready for work, and brought the Onkyo A800 and my DAP with me so I can share the love of the Onkyo A800 with my coworkers. First thing in the morning, I gather everyone to listen to the Onkyo A800. I set up Qobuz on my phone, use the DAP as a DAC/AMP, and connected the Onkyo A800 to the DAP. I gave everyone a short background story about the Onkyo A800 and let everyone try their favorite songs. My coworkers didn't give me too much detail, but I saw their facial expressions and they were smiling. When I saw them smile, I started to smile myself. The artists my coworkers were listening to were people like 2CELLOS, Sam Cooke And The Soul Stirrers, Jenny And The Mexicats, Steely Dan, and Arvo Pärt. The coworker that was listening to this particular piece, "Arvo Pärt: Te Deum", started tearing up. When I saw that, it can of made my entire day. I went home and went straight to bed. Didn't really get any of my own impression in day 2, but I got a lot of people's opinions on the Onkyo A800 and everyone really liked it.

***Day 3 Impression***
Had a full night's worth of sleep and felt like a new person. Did some errands in the morning and got back home by evening. Felt like listening to some Anime OST, like a little of Hiroyuki Sawano Kill la Kill OST, a little of Evan Call Violet Evergarden OST, a little of Go Shiina Demon Slayer OST, and a little of Kenichiro Suehiro Re:Zero OST. When I head the Re:Zero OST, it reminded me of the live symphony I went to earlier this month. I played the piece "Night in the Garden of Spain" and man that was amazing. I tried to remember how it was compared to the live performance I went to. Obviously, the live performance was better, but man... that felt like I had my own personal theater for a minute there. I want to listen to more classical music on the Onkyo A800. I will probably try Pastoral next since I have the DSD files for that. I saved that thought for next weekend and continue listening to more Anime OST. I continued with Dream Songs: The Essential Joe Hisaishi and that was wonderful trip. For the rest of the night, I wanted to relax to some Tsukihime Remake OST (I warned you I was a huge weeb, I like listening to Anime OST). While I was listening to music for the rest of the night, someone link to the newest John Wick 3 trailer. I pause my music didn't think too much of it and played the trailer. When the trailer played, I screamed, "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW". That is when I realized the Onkyo A800 is not only amazing for music, but its amazing for watching movies and medias on it as well. Watching that 2-3 minute trailer of John Wick blew my mind. That was the 2nd time when the Onkyo A800 made me lose my mind. It felt like I was at the old movie theater. When I heard that "bwooooommm" I knew I had to try some form of media with the Onkyo A800.

***Day 4 Impression***
The next day, I had no errands so I could start the day using the Onkyo A800. I wanted to try to form of media, but wasn't in a mood to watch a movie. I love playing visual novels, specifically psychological horror visual novel. I booted up Chaos;Head and when I finally got to a scene of Takumi talking... it didn't blow my mind, but I was very impressed. It felt like the voices had a strong impression and presence to them. Like I could really hear the emotions from the Voice Actors themselves. That ate up my entire Sunday. I remember I wanted to write a early impression at least.

***Closing***
The reason why I wanted to get an early impression out of the way and not wait a month like I always like to do is that my first impression of the Onkyo A800 has been special. It's been an emotional rollercoaster already with the headphone. I have a short-term memory and I didn't want to forget how I truly felt when I put on the Onkyo A800. The Onkyo A800 is addictive, seductive, and most importantly fun. The Onkyo is the most fun headphone I have ever used in my life. For headphones, I typically like to use headphones for music only and use speakers for everything else. That is not the case for the Onkyo A800. I think you can use the Onkyo A800 for anything and get a great experience from it. The Onkyo A800 may not be a master of one, but it is truly a jack of all trades. I can see why Protoss called the Onkyo A800 a "MASTER CLASS" headphone. You can throw any task to the Onkyo A800 and it will perform that task at a phenomenal level. I hope the Onkyo A800 will become well known in the headphone industry and we can have a successor headphone. It's very sad that the Onkyo A800 has left the world without a successor headphone. Somebody out there gotta make the sequel. I heard Pioneer is the same company as Onkyo, but I doubt any of their headphones will be on the same level as the A800. I will still give them a chance in the future.

Pro:
- Every sound it produces sounds lifelike and natural. Especially acoustics, vocals, and strings (at least to my ear)
- Good with every genre and maybe media. (Only genre I never really tested on is dubstep and I don't listen to dubstep or know anyone that listens to dubstep).
- The sounds sound thick, not thin and cold ( it might be my source though)
- Easy to drive, you can drive to basically anything. I tested on a Android phone (Sony Xperia 1 iii) and it can play the headphone fine at max volume.
- Scale very well with source. The better your equipment, the more the A800 will soar.

Con:
- Not very comfortable at the start, but you will get used to it
- Cable is too unique and it's hard to replace
- Discontinued. If it breaks, then you will be awoken from this euphoric dream

Regarding pads, it had the Ineedkit pads on it when I received the A800. I didn't like it because it was too loose for me. I swap out the pads for Yaxi pads because the sealing is better. I want to try more pads out in the future but for now it's Yaxi pads.

There is a lot I did not talk about, but it's only technically 3 days. Like I said earlier, I wanted to at least write this before I forgot my first reaction toward these headphones. I didn't even talk about the modded cable. I asked Xerath about them, but Xerath told me that he asked his friend to do it for him. So it's most likely a homemade mod and not being sold anywhere. When I remove the mod and try plugging the cables directly, I couldn't hear anything on the right side. When I plugged the mod back in, the headphone worked as normal with any cable you use. Because this is probably a homemade mod, I am going to take extra care of it because I don't have the original cable. I really got lucky coming across this mod. Since this headphone is really rare and discontinued, I'll probably want to use it lightly until I get my hands on a second one. If this headphone breaks on me, I might shed some tears. Someone, please make a successor headphone for the Onkyo A800 please. And please make it at least under $1000 when you do.

My Source:
Mobile iPhone 13 Pro Max Qobuz > DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) > Onkyo A800 or just DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) > Onkyo A800
Home Foobar> Musician Audio Pegasus R2R > Cayin HA-3A (with NOS Tubes) > Onkyo A800

Attachments

• 20221110_183200~2.JPG
    20221110_183200~2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_153951.JPG
    20221113_153951.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_154157.JPG
    20221113_154157.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_154301.JPG
    20221113_154301.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221113_154326.JPG
    20221113_154326.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #55 of 278
@Saberpunch

Great review,

The fresh and new feeling is caused by hitting close to 90% of the curve, which leads to being natural. Having a natural sound is the best euphonic sound. The A800 price tag at 40K makes more sense. My favorite has become A800 with 100% head time as other headphones become close to obsolete.

A basic JDS lab element or a dap, or a 300B tube amplifier, this headphone wins.

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #56 of 278
Make sense that everything sounds new because of the 90% curve. I think the headphone closest to the 90% Harman curve that I heard was probably the HD600. But that was like the 2019 or later version, not black paper (I am planning to get the black paper HD600 one day). I am still going to continue my journey of collecting vintage headphones as I am probably the least experienced person in this thread and I want to experience all those past gems. I know it probably feels pointless because the A800 is probably still going to be my favorite headphone at the end of the day. But unfortunately, my curiosity is a stronger drug than the euphoric high of natural clean sound. So that means I am going to continue spending my money on headphones for no reason. Not to find better sound, but just to satisfy my curiosity. Side note, my next vintage is the HD580 Jubilee, that is going to be cool!

I do agree that the A800 sounds good with anything, but it does get meatier depending on your source, like with most headphones. I actually have my audio journey planned out for next year and was gonna start getting Mjolnir amp and start collecting Stax headphones. After hearing the A800, my journey took a hard turn. Now, I want to focus on getting a better amp so I could take the A800 to the next level. Even though the A800 sounds natural, euphoric, and meaty on my mid-fi setup. I am too curious how far a 300B tube or a legendary amp will take the A800. It's only something I can dream about, but I want to make that dream a reality. So I am just gonna save up money next year and put a hold on the vintage collecting until I get a legendary amp for the A800. Another option is to go to Canjam and plug the A800 on everything I see lol.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #57 of 278
MY EARLY IMPRESSIONS WITH THE ONKYO A800

***Intro***

I respect Protoss. Every thread Protoss create has always been a satisfying read. From the 300B tubes thread to the Audio Technica The Master of Wood thread, we now have the Onkyo A800 Master Class thread. I was extremely curious about the Onkyo A800 after reading this thread and the original Onkyo A800 thread. I was lucky enough to find one in sale in the Classifieds thread. Instantly bought it the first minute I saw it went on sale. I was a little worried when I saw "modded cable", but I remember looking at previous Reddit threads of people complaining how their Onkyo A800 cable got destroyed and they can't find a replacement cable. So, I contacted the seller Xerath, ask some questions, and I completed some purchases. By the way, Xerath is a really cool seller, would recommend buying from him. Xerath also sells really unique looking headphones that even have some cool mods.

Before I go back to the story, I want to warn the audience about my taste in music. I am a huge weeb and a video game nerd. So that means I listen to mostly Jmusic and Video Games Ochrastras. I do listen to other genres as well like Classical Music and pretty much any song before the 2000s. The non-Jmusic and Classical music I tested the Onkyo A800 on was Carlos Santana (Abraxas), Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin IV), Grateful Dead (American Beauty), Michael Jackson (Off The Wall. I also to listened to Beat it, Thriller, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, and Black and White because I wanted to), and Daryl Hall and John Oates (Big Bam Boom). If I am not using my DAP, they are all sourced via Qobuz. Since I won't be going too deep into details in the story on how it sounds I will probably give my quick impression here. I honestly don't think I found any new details with the music I listen to. I kinda expected that since I already listen to the same songs for quite a while with already good technical headphones. What I did find is a whole new experience. Something I never experience before with any other headphones. Every album I start feels so fresh and new even though I have been listening to them for years. I honestly don't know why they sound so fresh and new, but I think it might be because the Onkyo A800 just does everything excellently, not well, excellently. So throwing any album at the Onkyo A800 no matter what genre it is was such a euphoric experience for me. I will probably talk about my impression summary with the Onkyo A800 in the last paragraph. So, you can skip to the last paragraph if you want. The meat of this early impression post is just going to be about me remembering my reactions on the Onkyo A800.

***Day 1 Impression***
Ok, back to the story, I completed the purchase from Xerath and the Onkyo A800 finally last Thursday, November 10th evening. Super excited, I unbox the headphones. I plug the Onkyo A800 into my nearest source, which was my DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch). I was pretty tired, so I just continue playing the song I was listening to on my way home. When the music started playing, I think my first reaction was screaming, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT". I don't remember what the first song was because I was so shocked at how it sounded, but I think it was Tori no Uta the Roselia version. I remember reading a couple of reviews before getting the Onkyo A800, but I was still not prepared for what the Onkyo A800 could deliver. I never thought an open headphone can have so much authority and power in its bass and yet the music still remains clear and detailed. I checked the EQ and I was like, "oh the EQ was still on, that's why". I turned off the EQ and... it still got producing this powerful, yet beautiful sound. I was freaking out. It's probably not an exaggeration to say that I lost my mind. To a professional critique, they would probably say this is good and this headphone a nod of approval. I, a guy who is typically easily impressed, was losing my mind. I was really excited. I haven't felt this excited about a headphone since my first good headphone, the Sennheiser HD600. I texted everybody I knew, telling them I finally found it. I finally found the "Perfect Headphone". I wanted everyone to know about the Onkyo A800. After I told everybody about the Onkyo A800, I boot up my computer and tube amp and continue my listening session there. I noticed the bass got weaker when I switch from my DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) to my tube amp (Cayin HA-3A). The Onkyo A800 did lose a little bass, but I feel the vocals have gotten way clearer on the tube amp. So I spent the rest of my Thursday evening listening to music in a dark room with nothing but my computer screen lit up.

***Day 2 Impression***
Unfortunately, I have gotten a lot weaker and my body felt fatigued. I was probably feeling the after-effect of getting too excited using the Onkyo A800 and the adrenaline probably left my body. I also slept like 3 hours. I push through, got ready for work, and brought the Onkyo A800 and my DAP with me so I can share the love of the Onkyo A800 with my coworkers. First thing in the morning, I gather everyone to listen to the Onkyo A800. I set up Qobuz on my phone, use the DAP as a DAC/AMP, and connected the Onkyo A800 to the DAP. I gave everyone a short background story about the Onkyo A800 and let everyone try their favorite songs. My coworkers didn't give me too much detail, but I saw their facial expressions and they were smiling. When I saw them smile, I started to smile myself. The artists my coworkers were listening to were people like 2CELLOS, Sam Cooke And The Soul Stirrers, Jenny And The Mexicats, Steely Dan, and Arvo Pärt. The coworker that was listening to this particular piece, "Arvo Pärt: Te Deum", started tearing up. When I saw that, it can of made my entire day. I went home and went straight to bed. Didn't really get any of my own impression in day 2, but I got a lot of people's opinions on the Onkyo A800 and everyone really liked it.

***Day 3 Impression***
Had a full night's worth of sleep and felt like a new person. Did some errands in the morning and got back home by evening. Felt like listening to some Anime OST, like a little of Hiroyuki Sawano Kill la Kill OST, a little of Evan Call Violet Evergarden OST, a little of Go Shiina Demon Slayer OST, and a little of Kenichiro Suehiro Re:Zero OST. When I head the Re:Zero OST, it reminded me of the live symphony I went to earlier this month. I played the piece "Night in the Garden of Spain" and man that was amazing. I tried to remember how it was compared to the live performance I went to. Obviously, the live performance was better, but man... that felt like I had my own personal theater for a minute there. I want to listen to more classical music on the Onkyo A800. I will probably try Pastoral next since I have the DSD files for that. I saved that thought for next weekend and continue listening to more Anime OST. I continued with Dream Songs: The Essential Joe Hisaishi and that was wonderful trip. For the rest of the night, I wanted to relax to some Tsukihime Remake OST (I warned you I was a huge weeb, I like listening to Anime OST). While I was listening to music for the rest of the night, someone link to the newest John Wick 3 trailer. I pause my music didn't think too much of it and played the trailer. When the trailer played, I screamed, "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW". That is when I realized the Onkyo A800 is not only amazing for music, but its amazing for watching movies and medias on it as well. Watching that 2-3 minute trailer of John Wick blew my mind. That was the 2nd time when the Onkyo A800 made me lose my mind. It felt like I was at the old movie theater. When I heard that "bwooooommm" I knew I had to try some form of media with the Onkyo A800.

***Day 4 Impression***
The next day, I had no errands so I could start the day using the Onkyo A800. I wanted to try to form of media, but wasn't in a mood to watch a movie. I love playing visual novels, specifically psychological horror visual novel. I booted up Chaos;Head and when I finally got to a scene of Takumi talking... it didn't blow my mind, but I was very impressed. It felt like the voices had a strong impression and presence to them. Like I could really hear the emotions from the Voice Actors themselves. That ate up my entire Sunday. I remember I wanted to write a early impression at least.

***Closing***
The reason why I wanted to get an early impression out of the way and not wait a month like I always like to do is that my first impression of the Onkyo A800 has been special. It's been an emotional rollercoaster already with the headphone. I have a short-term memory and I didn't want to forget how I truly felt when I put on the Onkyo A800. The Onkyo A800 is addictive, seductive, and most importantly fun. The Onkyo is the most fun headphone I have ever used in my life. For headphones, I typically like to use headphones for music only and use speakers for everything else. That is not the case for the Onkyo A800. I think you can use the Onkyo A800 for anything and get a great experience from it. The Onkyo A800 may not be a master of one, but it is truly a jack of all trades. I can see why Protoss called the Onkyo A800 a "MASTER CLASS" headphone. You can throw any task to the Onkyo A800 and it will perform that task at a phenomenal level. I hope the Onkyo A800 will become well known in the headphone industry and we can have a successor headphone. It's very sad that the Onkyo A800 has left the world without a successor headphone. Somebody out there gotta make the sequel. I heard Pioneer is the same company as Onkyo, but I doubt any of their headphones will be on the same level as the A800. I will still give them a chance in the future.

Pro:
- Every sound it produces sounds lifelike and natural. Especially acoustics, vocals, and strings (at least to my ear)
- Good with every genre and maybe media. (Only genre I never really tested on is dubstep and I don't listen to dubstep or know anyone that listens to dubstep).
- The sounds sound thick, not thin and cold ( it might be my source though)
- Easy to drive, you can drive to basically anything. I tested on a Android phone (Sony Xperia 1 iii) and it can play the headphone fine at max volume.
- Scale very well with source. The better your equipment, the more the A800 will soar.

Con:
- Not very comfortable at the start, but you will get used to it
- Cable is too unique and it's hard to replace
- Discontinued. If it breaks, then you will be awoken from this euphoric dream

Regarding pads, it had the Ineedkit pads on it when I received the A800. I didn't like it because it was too loose for me. I swap out the pads for Yaxi pads because the sealing is better. I want to try more pads out in the future but for now it's Yaxi pads.

There is a lot I did not talk about, but it's only technically 3 days. Like I said earlier, I wanted to at least write this before I forgot my first reaction toward these headphones. I didn't even talk about the modded cable. I asked Xerath about them, but Xerath told me that he asked his friend to do it for him. So it's most likely a homemade mod and not being sold anywhere. When I remove the mod and try plugging the cables directly, I couldn't hear anything on the right side. When I plugged the mod back in, the headphone worked as normal with any cable you use. Because this is probably a homemade mod, I am going to take extra care of it because I don't have the original cable. I really got lucky coming across this mod. Since this headphone is really rare and discontinued, I'll probably want to use it lightly until I get my hands on a second one. If this headphone breaks on me, I might shed some tears. Someone, please make a successor headphone for the Onkyo A800 please. And please make it at least under $1000 when you do.

My Source:
Mobile iPhone 13 Pro Max Qobuz > DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) > Onkyo A800 or just DAP (Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) > Onkyo A800
Home Foobar> Musician Audio Pegasus R2R > Cayin HA-3A (with NOS Tubes) > Onkyo A800
Very wholesome impressions. Very nice read and glad you enjoy them!

Had a few chuckles. XD

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #58 of 278
Make sense that everything sounds new because of the 90% curve. I think the headphone closest to the 90% Harman curve that I heard was probably the HD600. But that was like the 2019 or later version, not black paper (I am planning to get the black paper HD600 one day). I am still going to continue my journey of collecting vintage headphones as I am probably the least experienced person in this thread and I want to experience all those past gems. I know it probably feels pointless because the A800 is probably still going to be my favorite headphone at the end of the day. But unfortunately, my curiosity is a stronger drug than the euphoric high of natural clean sound. So that means I am going to continue spending my money on headphones for no reason. Not to find better sound, but just to satisfy my curiosity. Side note, my next vintage is the HD580 Jubilee, that is going to be cool!

I do agree that the A800 sounds good with anything, but it does get meatier depending on your source, like with most headphones. I actually have my audio journey planned out for next year and was gonna start getting Mjolnir amp and start collecting Stax headphones. After hearing the A800, my journey took a hard turn. Now, I want to focus on getting a better amp so I could take the A800 to the next level. Even though the A800 sounds natural, euphoric, and meaty on my mid-fi setup. I am too curious how far a 300B tube or a legendary amp will take the A800. It's only something I can dream about, but I want to make that dream a reality. So I am just gonna save up money next year and put a hold on the vintage collecting until I get a legendary amp for the A800. Another option is to go to Canjam and plug the A800 on everything I see lol.
I am a fan of vintage and haveblk paper 580 and they are on thin side but crisp clean and musical. Seems complete different from your A800 views.

I like some classic vintage like dt48/480 well which make certain music sound new but in a weird way.

And vintage stax has a certain musicality as well. Surprised how many of them still function! As they seem so fragile and like 40-50 years old .

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #59 of 278
Not too sure about the HD580 as I haven't gotten them yet, but I do agree with what Protoss said at the beginning of the thread. That A800 is an HD600 on steroids. What attracted me to the HD600 in the 1st place over like the HD650 is that people were gassing up the HD600 saying if you are a fan of vocals, the HD600 is the one. People were right, the vocals on the HD600 sounded so smooth, pleasing to the ears, and sounded natural. The HD600 may not have the clarity as some of the TOTL headphones, but the vocals still sounded so amazing on the HD600, it's just the HD600 felt like it was missing something. I think the A800 captures that same magic as the HD600 but brings it to another level. The A800 filled in that missing piece making the vocals sounded more powerful and more natural. Like each word carry more weight and impact to me. I really enjoy listening to singers with raspy voices, especially with the HD600 and A800. Both the HD600 and A800 take the music to another emotional level for me.

Adding the DT48/480 to the vintage list to grab one day.

Never heard vintage Stax, but a lot of respected members in this community always have Stax in their top 5. I definitely want to try some vintage Stax headphones one day. I'm glad the vintage Stax is still holding up like 50 years later because its going to be a while before I get my hands on those.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #60 of 278
300B tube
For me my 300B combo sounds like a 100K setup. As you already discover tubes takes away the meat, it also control the bass and makes it even better and perfectly put more balance and depth into the A800.

20221110_115950~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back