One-year impressions of the Audeze LCD-2 Headphone
May 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I have now enjoyed the Audeze LCD-2 headphone for about one year. Apart from the sound, the constant tweaking of the headphones shows their dedication to perfection. The first image here shows one early pair, the second, one that was made a few months later.

Just to mention a few of the tweaks toward perfection, they have
- changed the headband foam
- changed the cups, to get angled cable entry
- changed the grilles
- changed the text on the new grilles
- added a spacer to the rods, to make them stay put
- changed the top of the rods
- changed the cable a few times
- changed the ear pads
- changed the height adjustment blocks
- changed the box to one with glossier finish
- less clamp out of the box, from the metal headband

For the people new in the game, it should be mentioned that the LCD-2 improves on their prototype, the LCD-1

The LCD-1 is lighter than the LCD-2, but also has a lighter sound, lacking the great sounding deep bass of the LCD-2. The LCD-1 already sounded very very good, and the addition of that now famous bass response is in my opinion what made version two so good. It excels in low-level listening, still giving a full-bodied sound. I should mention that  LCD-1 owners got a very good upgrade offer, which to me was impossible to resist. For those of you who haven't read any reviews about the LCD-2, I should also add that the LCD-2 doesn't have any treble emphasis. It makes listening to Bob Dylan a real joy, since treble emphasis makes many of his recordings unlistenable.

The LCD-2 builds on (and improves on) the famous Wharfedale Isodynamic

I have heard quite a few vintage planar magnetic headphones, and I still do not understand why none of the vintage orthodynamics/isodynamics/regular phase/omni-dynamic/dynaflat/etc. actually improved on the ID1. The LCD-2 is better, no doubt, and that is quite something.

It's somewhat superficial of course, but I really enjoy the steampunk look of the LCD-2. Although, the wood worries me a bit, since I have kids around, who could damage it. So, I have to store it in its box whenever I do not use it.

Rather to my surprise, friends who visit love the LCD-2. They usually find it rather strange at first to spend that much on a headphone, but when they have put it on, it always turns out to be difficult to get it off their heads. It appears that one doesn't have to have any kind of trained hi-fi ears to appreciate the LCD-2 - it just makes the music enjoyable.

Some compliants. I didn't like the first cable that they used, so I got a replacement cable from Norse Audio, that to be felt much nicer to handle. But, they have released a new cable since then (which they offered for a very good price to previous customers). I still like the feel of the foam headband, but my hair gets stuck in it. Also, since the foam looks hard to clean, I hesitate to let people who use hair products borrow the can. The foam does look brand new still though, so the quality must be good.

The LCD-2 is very comfortable to me, and I have often fallen asleep when listening to music. Although it is on the heavy side, much like the old Pioneer Monitor 10. Speaking of music, I listen a lot to electronic music, both of the more ambient kind like the Bladerunner soundtrack by Vangelis, and more heavy-bass type of music. The LCD-2 appears to be made for this kind of music. I listen much less to classic music. I do enjoy a bit of indie-rock as well, and that also sounds great with the LCD-2. With that I sometimes however prefer some of the vintage orthodynamics, with their colored mids, that sometimes adds nicely to recordings. Especially the Grundig 224, has a fine coloration to my ears, although in comparison, headstage is much smaller, and it lacks both in the top and bottom ends compared to the LCD-2.

I haven't written that much about the sound of the LCD-2. But you have to hear that for yourself anyway to know if you like it. It is hard to describe the sound anyway. The LCD-2 just draws me into the music, and I forget to make notes about how it sounds. That's one reason why  lengthy detailed comparisons are missing from this one-year retrospective. (Another reason is that I have sold most of my other headphones, and I have felt no urge to get them again - although some of the vintage orthodynamic cans that I sold were very good.)

May 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 28
Nice write up.  Have you had a chance to compare your LCD-2's FR chart with any made recently?  If so, can you comment on the differences, if any, other than expected normal production variations, from one phone to the next.

Here's mine from mid-April of this year:

TIA

May 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 28
Thats some interesting aspects about them, i really enjoyed reading that. The LCD-2's are well regarded everywhere, maybe i buy myself a pair soon. 
wink.gif

May 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 28
great read, thank you for this!

May 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
Wonderful read. Can't wait to get mine!

so you ordered them already. You're fast. I'd be very curious to see your impressions of them vs T1

May 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 28
I wanted to post on a LCD-2 thread before it gets to be 900 pages long.  Great cans, just got them recently with an Eddie Current Balancing Act and a Double Helix cable.  Best sound I've ever heard.  Hopefully to be even better when my W4S DAC2 arrives.  Fantastic headphones, they lay waste to my Senn HD800's.

May 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 28
Why is the OP's text disappearing out the side of the box? I only get about half of each line. All the other post are fine.  

May 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
so you ordered them already. You're fast. I'd be very curious to see your impressions of them vs T1

I know right? Just yesterday I said I MIGHT look into the LCD-2 in the distant future, and now I already have them arriving on Saturday
biggrin.gif

I'll be sure to post a comparison of the 2. I really can't wait!

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 28
Yeah, did we mention this hobby gets expensive? Hold on to your wallet, it's a rough ride once you get started.

$4000 for the amp, then you need to buy tubes! It's a bargain though, it's also my preamp:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back