On a mission to like jazz
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,357 of 5,027
Starting in the "middle", you don't mention Charlie Parker, who's required listening, of course. Sonny Stitt is another (he also plays tenor). Paul Desmond played with Dave Brubeck, but he has great solo recordings. Gigi Gryce and James Moody are two more. Early Jazz had Benny Carter, who I love, and Johnny Hodges (played with Duke, and has great solo recordings). Paqiito D'Rivera plays a great mix of jazz, Latin and other musics. Tim Berne, Ornette Coleman, John Zorn, Arthur Blythe, Julius Hemphill, Anthony Braxton are free jazz players. Chris Potter and Greg Osby are 2 more that comes to mind. That should keep you busy for a bit...
(there are many more, but I'll second Phil Woods...)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,358 of 5,027
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,363 of 5,027
Wish I could find more jazz like the soundtrack of this ad! I have listened to many hundreds of jazz albums and struggle to find anything close.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,364 of 5,027
IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG

I'm catching up with the music of Pyeng Threadgill today. She's done three excellent albums that I haven't listened to for a while. Upon hearing that anew one is coming, if her indiegogo campaign is successful, I felt like listening to all of them again. Put a smile on my face.
First one is Sweet Home, which is dedicated to Robert Johnson's songs. The second one is Of the Air, my favourite so far, with great originals like Wishing Well, along with two covers: The Cure's Close to Me and Fats Waller's Jitterbug Waltz. The third is more like a concept album, all originals. Really all worth listening to.
And if you want to support The creation of the fourth album, her campaign is here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/head-full-of-hair-heart-full-of-song#/backers

Cheers, Pierre

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back