On a mission to like jazz

Discussion in 'Music' started by jasonb, Dec 2, 2013.
First

Back
150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159
Next

Last
  1. doctorjazz
    Absolutely!

2. doctorjazz
    Quinto likes this.
  3. Quinto

biosailor likes this.
  4. Pokemonn
    スクリーンショット 2017-11-20 3.21.53.png

5. mgc468
    Try Charles Mingus and Chris thile

6. Blueshound24

7. Blueshound24

Quinto likes this.
  8. Blueshound24

biosailor likes this.
  9. Quinto

One of a kind..

10. Blueshound24

Quinto likes this.
  11. Dark Helmet
    Is there anything out there like Return to Forever? I would like to broaden my horizons a bit more into the Jazz world.

12. Blueshound24

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  13. Quinto

This Nardis version is really great!

14. jnorris
    Return to Forever is less about jazz and more about fusion (which was not a dirty word back then).. RTF formed soon after the Mahavishnu Orchestra which pretty much started the whole thing. Mahavishnu was the original super fast, super aggressive jazz-rock band, with RTF and Larry Coryell's Eleventh House jumping on the gravy train soon afterward. Other artists that tried to cash in on it were Jean Luc Ponty, Horacee Arnold, David Sancious, Dixie Dregs, Bruford, Jeff Lorber, and Barry Miles (who claims he invented fusion - kind of like how Al Gore invented the internet). This is just a handful, there were hundreds of bands like this and many more spawned from them as members quit and formed other bands ad infinitum. I was there for the whole thing and I loved every minute of it. Until fusion morphed into acid jazz (which was neither acidic or jazzy) in the late '80s and smooth jazz after that.

Look up Return to Forever on YouTube and just follow the leads - but be forewarned, you may forget to come up for air.

Dark Helmet likes this.
  15. Blueshound24

Does anyone know why this is not view-able in the USA? I get this message:

First

Back
150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159
Next

Last