On a mission to like jazz
Jan 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #91 of 5,027
Jimi did a number of tunes with a Jazzy feel to them. Did you know at the time of his death that there was a solid project in the works between him, Miles Davis, and Gil Evans? Man, that would've been glorious. I always felt had he not died, he would've been seriously involved in Fusion. Instead, he dies, Miles goes to his funeral and proceeds to have blazing electric guitarists (McLaughlin, Scofield, Stern) in his bands (NOT a coincidence!), and Evans went on to record a big band album of Jimi's music!

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #92 of 5,027
Jimi did a number of tunes with a Jazzy feel to them. Did you know at the time of his death that there was a solid project in the works between him, Miles Davis, and Gil Evans? Man, that would've been glorious. I always felt had he not died, he would've been seriously involved in Fusion. Instead, he dies, Miles goes to his funeral and proceeds to have blazing electric guitarists (McLaughlin, Scofield, Stern) in his bands (NOT a coincidence!), and Evans went on to record a big band album of Jimi's music!

Yes, it was a sorry event. I used to work in the music industry as well as do dates at the time and got to meet and even befriend many well known jazz fusion players in the 1970's. It was really sucky that so many of America's jazz players couldn't earn a decent living at home, where jazz was born and had to gig in Europe to get recognition and put bread on the table. I remember when Roy Ayers started messing around with disco. I teased him once, he replied, "A man's got to put bread on the table." I just Googled up a recent picture of him and wouldn't recognize him today, then again it has been a good few decades.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #94 of 5,027
I've always felt that 'putting bread on the table' was the primary reason Smooth Jazz came to exist!

I agree. I find the stuff a bit hard to swallow. There are IMO worse things to subject one's ears to. Most Hip Hop

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #95 of 5,027
  Off the top of the head, which artists make music in the vein of Tomasz Stanko (quintet/quartet)? Love some of his stuff.

Mathias Eick comes to mind. "Skala" (on ECM) was one of my favorite releases of 2011.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #96 of 5,027
Welcome my friend :3, Jazz has always been a favorite genre of mine, although tbh I prefer Hard Bop to tradtional Jazz my self ;3 

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #99 of 5,027
Love that Hendrix piece. I have to admit I knew nothing about those projects, seems to be quite a few people saying he was one of the pioneers of fusin Jazz..

Anyone have any suggestions for unusual instruments used in Jazz in it's many forms? I've just come across this album, really fresh. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #100 of 5,027
  Anyone have any suggestions for unusual instruments used in Jazz in it's many forms?

Well here's one of my most recent Bandcamp acquisitions. This is Bristol-based Lund Quartet's debut album and the quartet consist of piano, bass, drums and… Drumroll please. Turntable. Yes, jazz plus turntablism. Check it out and see if you like it.

Lund Quartet - Lund Quartet
https://lundquartet.bandcamp.com/album/lund-quartet

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #101 of 5,027

Off the top of the head, which artists make music in the vein of Tomasz Stanko (quintet/quartet)? Love some of his stuff.

Mathias Eick comes to mind. "Skala" (on ECM) was one of my favorite releases of 2011.

Appreciate it. Checked out Skala but too soft or sweet for me. Stanko has a bit of an edge or something.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #103 of 5,027

Well here's one of my most recent Bandcamp acquisitions. This is Bristol-based Lund Quartet's debut album and the quartet consist of piano, bass, drums and… Drumroll please. Turntable. Yes, jazz plus turntablism. Check it out and see if you like it.

Lund Quartet - Lund Quartet
https://lundquartet.bandcamp.com/album/lund-quartet

This is excellent, loving it! Really interesting to hear some scratching going on- I personally never go down that route when I'm mixing but it's something I want to master for sure. 
There's so much musical energy in Bristol, unfortunately I've only had the pleasure of going to a house night, but clearly there's more to explore. 

Hmm, I guess on the other end of this, there's a band called Youngblood Brass Band, and, whilst not strictly Jazzy at all, in 'Elegy' (live) they lay down some 'scratching' that's actually done through the mouthpiece on a Sousaphone. Wonder if it's possible on a sax.. *want to try/ don't want to wake people up..maybe tomorrow*

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #104 of 5,027
there aren't that many that can beat this - ¬   One of the very best, and it sounds incredible also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back