On a mission to like jazz
Jan 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #121 of 5,031
This guy ASSAULTS the piano - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqI4Y9EA3_M

size]

Misty - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-62_gks06o

Anybody remember playing their Fisher-Price Xylophone as a kid?

Lionel Hampton made a living at it...good drummer too! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rTICMVXQQ

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #122 of 5,031
Just grabbed all 5 tonight for a total of $26.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #123 of 5,031
Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #124 of 5,031

Nice lineup for the evening....................playing them through your vintage amp?

i don't think i'll get through all of them tonight. This is just what I added to my collection today. Made a stop at Barnes and Noble and FYE and picked them all up for a total of about $25-$26.

And yes, I'm listening through my SX-750. It's the only amp I use with headphones. Right now I'm trying out the Mahavishnu Orchestra album. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #125 of 5,031
  i don't think i'll get through all of them tonight. This is just what I added to my collection today. Made a stop at Barnes and Noble and FYE and picked them all up for a total of about $25-$26.

Nice.  I did the same thing yesterday at lunch at our local 'old school' record store.  He sells vinyl, CD's and cassettes and I walked out with 5 used CD's for $20, all smooth jazz. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #126 of 5,031
I haven't come across this list before.  I can agree with about 50% of the order on that list
tongue.gif
.  But, there are some albums on there I haven't heard which is the real purpose of subjective lists.  Diana Krall Live in Paris or the Girl in the Other Room not there but this Love Scenes album makes the list.  I actually haven't heard this album though I did get it from a friend.  I'm going to have to listen to it tonight.  Must be special to make it over those other 2 fabulous albums.

Quote:
  Absolutely. In spite of my very quibbles with the list, Jazzwise Magazine's "The 100 Jazz Albums That Shook The World" is one of the very best lists of essential jazz recordings that I have seen. But then I would tend to feel this way about this list since I happen to really like "free jazz" and this contains quite a lot of great free jazz recordings.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #127 of 5,031

Nice.  I did the same thing yesterday at lunch at our local 'old school' record store.  He sells vinyl, CD's and cassettes and I walked out with 5 used CD's for $20, all smooth jazz. 

I have a local "old school" place nearby too, but today I decided to check out Barnes & Noble, and FYE. I've never actually looked for jazz at either place and definitely walked away with some good cheap stuff. 4 out of the 5 were used and all in great condition.

The Coltrane/Hartman album is something special, I'll tell ya that already. I listened to this one in the car on the way home and it's nice to hear some vocals in this old school jazz. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #128 of 5,031
  Just grabbed all 5 tonight for a total of $26.

I have inner mountain flame on vinyl - such an important album for me. It really opened up a lot of avenues. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #129 of 5,031
  I have inner mounting flame on vinyl - such an important album for me. It really opened up a lot of avenues. 

I'm going to have to check out some of their other stuff because I'm liking this one quite a bit. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #130 of 5,031
here is a great group if you can get any of there stuff - i think they are very underrated as well ¬

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #131 of 5,031
Inner Mounting Flame - So great to see this amazing record still getting some love! As an old-timer let me put a little experience/perspective on it! Jimi Hendrix died less than a year prior to this records release. For me, it was almost a passing of the torch. The record was recorded in a week but the music had been getting created for a while. McLaughlin recorded music that sounded similar prior to this as a member of the Tony Williams Lifetime and with Miles Davis. John M. and Billy Cobham played on Miles excellent 'Jack Johnson' record and John also burned on Miles 'Live-Evil'. McLaughlin recorded a number of Mahavishnu Orchestra records, but the original, and the best, were the 1st 3 records. After which the flame burned out!:wink:. Too much talent! When you listen to that Jaco record keep in mind it was his 1st! Such a gigantic talent! Kinda funny seeing these 2 records paired with Diana Krall (mind you, I own 3 Krall records!).

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #132 of 5,031
  here is a great group if you can get any of there stuff - i think they are very underrated as well ¬

I agree that Oregon is highly underrated group and that Witchi Tia To is a wonderful song.

Witchi Tia To was written by a Native American saxophone player named Jim Pepper. Here is his version of his most famous song and it is well worth a listen (or two or three or....):

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #133 of 5,031
Art Blakey- moanin

I actually got introduced to jazz through an anime (kids on the slope - watch it, its good) and this was the first jazz tune to ever stick with me.. I absolutely love it. Like you, I'm also trying to get into Jazz and expand on my musical tastes.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #135 of 5,031
I was in a similar situation one year ago, so i listened a lot of recomended albums.
 Of all of them, there is one that i really, really liked.

This one:

The Three Sounds-Feat-Gene Harris-Babe's Blues[1962]

I knew of this band existance because Jack Dejohnette talks about it in his drumming book.

If you listen it, tell me what you think!

CHeers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back