On a mission to like jazz
Jan 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #107 of 5,029

Short for Subscribed 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #108 of 5,029
  Starting with the album "Time Out". It's great so far. I'm liking my new Jazz journey quite a bit. It's a nice change from all the aggressive music I usually used to listen to. And so far, all of these Jazz recording have superb audio quality, unlike rock and metal where the sound quality is very hit or miss.

If you like the Dave Brubeck Quartet, this is the CD I listen to most from them...
21JYRSAVE9L.jpg

Stanley Jordan rarely gets kudos but his 'Tapping' skills are solid.  What impresses me is that he plays both Lead and Rhythm Guitar on One Guitar, Live, with no overdubs! Check out 'Georgia on my Mind' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PprhwT1n17A) or 'Sunny' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-D1-sseP_A) it starts kicking at 1:15
51h9gOo6QwL._AA160_.jpg

His versions of Autumn Leaves and Stairway to Heaven are worth a listen as well.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #109 of 5,029
  there aren't that many that can beat this - ¬   One of the very best, and it sounds incredible also. 

The Marsalis Vanguard recording is indeed one of the best but the gold standards for Live at the Village Vanguard are:

and

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #110 of 5,029
I've never tried to find this info but I imagine there's a way to find ALL the records that have been recorded at The Vanguard. I must own around a dozen! From big band to Fusion to classic Jazz. I've been there a few times, such a small joint, amazing acoustics, with such a legendary sense of history. Love the Vanguard! When you're in NY you should absolutely make a point of going, even if you don't know anything about who's playing, it's The Vanguard!!:wink:

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #111 of 5,029
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #112 of 5,029

Stanley Jordan rarely gets kudos but his 'Tapping' skills are solid.  What impresses me is that he plays both Lead and Rhythm Guitar on One Guitar, Live, with no overdubs

True. I started listening to Jazz when I started playing guitar and started my discovering journey of what music is out there. Stanley Jordan was one of my discoverys and he is killer. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #113 of 5,029
I've never tried to find this info but I imagine there's a way to find ALL the records that have been recorded at The Vanguard. I must own around a dozen! From big band to Fusion to classic Jazz. I've been there a few times, such a small joint, amazing acoustics, with such a legendary sense of history. Love the Vanguard! When you're in NY you should absolutely make a point of going, even if you don't know anything about who's playing, it's The Vanguard!!
wink.gif

An easy +1

The Village Vanguard is one the world's finest jazz clubs and a must for any jazz lover visiting the Big Apple.

For those of you located in Europe, The Bimhaus in Amsterdam is another must for jazz lovers.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #114 of 5,029
grabbed these two a few days ago, but forgot to post:

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #115 of 5,029
  grabbed these two a few days ago, but forgot to post:

Two absolute classics and both (almost) required listening. Way to go!

"Somethin' Else" is also unique in that is one of the very, very few recording sessions made after Miles Davis became famous to feature Miles as a sideman.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #116 of 5,029
If you haven't got it yet, grab the recently released CD box set of Miles Davis' first 9 albums for Columbia in mono.

It is simply a must have.

If you think you know Kind Of Blue, wait till you hear this version. Phewee.

More info here:

http://www.milesdavis.com/us/news/miles-davis-original-mono-recordings-presents-nine-remastered-original-albums

Plenty of reviews to be sampled via a quick Google too, pretty much all positive, like this sample one:

http://blindedbysound.com/reviews/cd-review-miles-davis-the-original-mono-recordings-box-set/

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #118 of 5,029
Oh, and here's a nice little roundup of some choice albums you might want to consider:

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/reviews-mainmenu-132/19-cd-reviews/11585-the-100-jazz-albums-that-shook-the-world

While the Jazzwize Magazine list is very interesting and by it's very nature controversial (by that I mean that all top 10, best of, etc lists are somewhat controversial since someone thinks something was left off or included that should not have been) please bear in mind that Jazzwize Magazine is a UK publication and that the list has a European focus. For example American David Murray's "Flowers for Albert" does not make the list whereas relative lightweight Courtney Pine, who happens to be British, makes the list.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #120 of 5,029
It's a good springboard nonetheless.

Absolutely. In spite of my very quibbles with the list, Jazzwise Magazine's "The 100 Jazz Albums That Shook The World" is one of the very best lists of essential jazz recordings that I have seen. But then I would tend to feel this way about this list since I happen to really like "free jazz" and this contains quite a lot of great free jazz recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back