On a mission to like jazz
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #76 of 5,029
  Two jazz/fusion groups that really helped me bridge from an all rock-oriented palette were Snarky Puppy and The Roy Hargrove Quintet.

seen roy hargrove live with Gregory porter - was the best gig i have ever seen!!!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #77 of 5,029
I listened to all 5 of my latest purchases. All 5 were bought totally unheard, and I love them all.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #78 of 5,029
The Dave Weckl Band is worth listening to. Everything they do is superb, "Try it, you'll like it."

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #80 of 5,029
I've been to over 200 concerts and Dave Weckl Band was easily in top 5.   Between Dave and Tom Kennedy (bassist) my jaw was on the floor all night long.  It helped that I was front row too.

Ken Navarro has 2 releases out (Dreaming of Trains, Grace of Summer Light) that are really nice transitions into jazz.  Really good uplifting music.  His other releases lean a little bit more "smooth" jazz than I like but these two above are excellent.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #81 of 5,029
  I've been to over 200 concerts and Dave Weckl Band was easily in top 5.   Between Dave and Tom Kennedy (bassist) my jaw was on the floor all night long.  It helped that I was front row too.

Ken Navarro has 2 releases out (Dreaming of Trains, Grace of Summer Light) that are really nice transitions into jazz.  Really good uplifting music.  His other releases lean a little bit more "smooth" jazz than I like but these two above are excellent.

Weckl is definitely first rate in my book. They are really tight when they play live.
I'll guess that you might like some of the below:
Jean Luc Ponte
Weather Report
Yellowjackets
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever - Chic Corea

And of course, considering your name, Spyro Gyra. "Walk the Walk" is a nice piece of theirs.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #83 of 5,029
I'm currently listening to Bitches Brew for the first time... it's quite a challenging listen. There is a lot going on.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #84 of 5,029
  I'm currently listening to Bitches Brew for the first time... it's quite a challenging listen. There is a lot going on.

Yes there is. Bitches Brew is an ambitious listen for most. Certainly an album that changed jazz music as it was known then.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #86 of 5,029
  I like this album too, Nefertiti by Miles Davis.

The title track Nefertiti is one of my favorite Miles Davis tracks. The basic concept is just so refreshing.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #87 of 5,029
  Yes there is. Bitches Brew is an ambitious listen for most. Certainly an album that changed jazz music as it was known then.

+1
Check out Sketches of Spain, a much easier listen.  One suggested approach to jazz is to start with Davis and then listen to the people he played with, then listen to the people they played with...  Its pretty interesting, and it works (can't remember where I read it originally).

Davis played with: Gillespie, Parker, Hawkins, Navarro, Webster, JJ Johnson, Monk, Roach, Mingus, Ellington, Roach, Brown,Rollins, Blakey, Coltrane, Garland, Chambers, Philly Joe Jones, Adderley, Gil Evans, Mobley, Carter, Hancock, Sam Rivers, Shorter, Zawinul, McLaughlin, Dejohnette, Jarrett...  A pretty impressive list by any standard.  Spider webbing out from Davis to these players catalogs and then out the the next level can take a long time.  It does however make for a very interesting and focused journey.  I also find it hard to go wrong with any early Blue Note recordings. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #88 of 5,029

I could barely get through my first listen of that album.  It was very experimental, with some really sharp sounds that weren't what I was expecting from a jazz album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back