On a mission to like jazz
Jun 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #571 of 5,037
  Funny I thought this thread was about jazz. Oh well, time to start a new thread.

It is - about jazz, that is. I just thought to present a song of originally prog band that obviously can be adapted to something like "standard" in jazz. - after seeing a remark that King Crimson should be ignored. I do not subscribe to strict or even elitist division of music according to the genre(s) - music is either good or bad. Now I can see an ardent follower of punk rock is probably unlikely to attend a classical concert - and vice versa - but jazz and classical  have much more in common than what divides them, for example. An increasing number of jazz musicians have a VERY solid foundation in classical upon which they build/improvise/create new stuff . And there are elements of both classics and jazz in prog - sooo...

IIRC, I did write "somewhere on head-fi" about what I witnessed with my own eyes ( and ears ) : Paquito D'Rivera being asked during a break between two sets by a #1 clarinetist of the Montreal Symphony, who was in the audience an evening prior to "his" concert, "how on earth can he play that ? ". And Paquito shortened his prescheduled interview to a minimum, we waited a bit longer than normal for the second set, the time in between has been used by the both clarinetist to "good effect" - what else one might wish for ?

Here Paquito D'Rivera from roughly the same time as this uncommon lecture during a break of the concert in my hometown took place :

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #572 of 5,037
  It is - about jazz, that is. I just thought to present a song of originally prog band that obviously can be adapted to something like "standard" in jazz. - after seeing a remark that King Crimson should be ignored. I do not subscribe to strict or even elitist division of music according to the genre(s) - music is either good or bad. Now I can see an ardent follower of punk rock is probably unlikely to attend a classical concert - and vice versa - but jazz and classical  have much more in common than what divides them, for example. An increasing number of jazz musicians have a VERY solid foundation in classical upon which they build/improvise/create new stuff . And there are elements of both classics and jazz in prog - sooo...

IIRC, I did write "somewhere on head-fi" about what I witnessed with my own eyes ( and ears ) : Paquito D'Rivera being asked during a break between two sets by a #1 clarinetist of the Montreal Symphony, who was in the audience an evening prior to "his" concert, "how on earth can he play that ? ". And Paquito shortened his prescheduled interview to a minimum, we waited a bit longer than normal for the second set, the time in between has been used by the both clarinetist to "good effect" - what else one might wish for ?

Here Paquito D'Rivera from roughly the same time as this uncommon lecture during a break of the concert in my hometown took place :

A nice post about the relationship between jazz and classical but I fail to see how that relates to jazz and prog rock. Just sayin'.

Seriously, I've been active on several different music and audio related forums throughout the years and my experience has been that whenever a thread about jazz, such as this wonderful thread, starts to drift away from jazz (and however good King Crimson may be, they are not jazz) there is no going back since the non-jazz fans far out number the jazz fans. So great if you what to keep posting about prog rock, heck I might even join in since I like lots of prog rock, but please do it in a thread about prog rock and not in a thread about jazz. End of rant.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #574 of 5,037

A nice post about the relationship between jazz and classical but I fail to see how that relates to jazz and prog rock. Just sayin'.

Seriously, I've been active on several different music and audio related forums throughout the years and my experience has been that whenever a thread about jazz, such as this wonderful thread, starts to drift away from jazz (and however good King Crimson may be, they are not jazz) there is no going back since the non-jazz fans far out number the jazz fans. So great if you what to keep posting about prog rock, heck I might even join in since I like lots of prog rock, but please do it in a thread about prog rock and not in a thread about jazz. End of rant.

I did not mean to upset anybody. And it is not my experience jazz fans are so outnumbered they need "special minority protection" - but point taken.

Still, I like confrontation like this far better than what I received as an email from a friend today - made me sad.

Horace Silver is no longer with us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Silver

R.I.P.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #575 of 5,037
  I did not mean to upset anybody. And it is not my experience jazz fans are so outnumbered they need "special minority protection" - but point taken.

Still, I like confrontation like this far better than what I received as an email from a friend today - made me sad.

Horace Silver is no longer with us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Silver

R.I.P.

Thanks for taking it the tone that I intended since I too do not want to upset you or anyone else.

And yes today we should be honoring the memory of the great Horace Silver - a bandleader, piano player and composer with few equals. He will be missed.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #576 of 5,037
One of the 1st Jazz records I ever bought was Horace Silver's In Pursuit Of The 27th Man.  Had no idea who he was but I saw the Brecker bros. were on it so scooped it up.  Man, I loved that record!  The last record of his I picked up was the Hard Bop Grandpop, recorded 20+ years after 27th Man, it featured Michael Brecker, Claudio Roditi, Steve Turre, and is another great record!  RIP.

Always cool to see Maestro Paquito D'Rivera get mentioned anywhere, he's been a huge favorite of mine for decades!  As is Latin Jazz (don't mention it because I don't think there's many fans here).  I still like Fusion although the word usually causes knee-jerk reactions.  I think Electric Contemporary Jazz would be a more honest description for an artist like Kurt Rosenwinkel or Pat Metheny.  Fusion is just a word like Bebop, Avant-garde, or Swing that suggests a historical moment/trend in the music.  Jazz is such a small word that contains so many (a universe really) cultural and stylistic sub-genres.  Opinions?

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #577 of 5,037
Not to keep talking about king crimson, but I do hear some jazz influence in their first album for sure. Jazz was definitely a big influence for a lot of prog bands.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #578 of 5,037
Not to keep talking about king crimson, but I do hear some jazz influence in their first album for sure. Jazz was definitely a big influence for a lot of prog bands.

I thoroughly concur. If I was to ever name a rock band in a jazz thread, King Crimson would be the first one to come to mind.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #579 of 5,037
The reason jazz continuous to survive is that it is open to influences all the time.
Check old maestro Stephane Grapelli's cadenza here at 26.30 at the end of this lowly version of willow weep for me.

Is that jazz? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #580 of 5,037

Thanks for taking it the tone that I intended since I too do not want to upset you or anyone else.

And yes today we should be honoring the memory of the great Horace Silver - a bandleader, piano player and composer with few equals. He will be missed.

This 18.22 long version of Song for My Farther, is what Horace Silver was all about;

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #581 of 5,037
I've been told that someone was talking about Jazz around here.

Maybe you'll find useful my new project: JazzBai. I've presented it in the following thread:

JazzBai: DeBilbao to the Jazz world
http://www.head-fi.org/t/724329/jazzbai-debilbao-to-the-jazz-world

User Icebear said there,
Maybe you should post a link to your site in the "on a mission to like Jazz thread".
It would be a great starting point for folks just getting their feet wet with Jazz

Hope you like it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #582 of 5,037
I have not read the entire thread, so.if I am repeating someone my apologies. It seems like there is a concentration on jazz after the big split in the late 40's. This is when jazz started becoming listening music rather than dancing music. So I am going to go a different way. I would recommend that people who are new to jazz check out swing which is sometimes called big band music in error.

While it is true that swing is almost always performed by big bands, it does not end there. As an example much of Charles Mingus is performed by big band

Back to my original point. You ought to be familiar with Duke Ellington Take the A Train, and iIt don't Mean a Thing if it Don't got that Swing are among the classic jazz of it's day.

If you think swing is dead, check out Big Bad VooDoo Daddy. Current.band mostly playing their own songs. It always makes me smile

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #583 of 5,037
I have not read the entire thread, so.if I am repeating someone my apologies. It seems like there is a concentration on jazz after the big split in the late 40's. This is when jazz started becoming listening music rather than dancing music. So I am going to go a different way. I would recommend that people who are new to jazz check out swing which is sometimes called big band music in error.

While it is true that swing is almost always performed by big bands, it does not end there. As an example much of Charles Mingus is performed by big band

Back to my original point. You ought to be familiar with Duke Ellington Take the A Train, and iIt don't Mean a Thing if it Don't got that Swing are among the classic jazz of it's day.

If you think swing is dead, check out Big Bad VooDoo Daddy. Current.band mostly playing their own songs. It always makes me smile

Finally another jazz listener who appreciates and recommends some "older" jazz. Since you haven't checked out the entire thread may I suggest that you at least read through my posts on this thread to see what swing and big band jazz I've already recommended. Oh and welcome to the "thread".

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #584 of 5,037
Will do. I suppose I will post several times. I hope you check out the band I mentioned. I would be interested in what you think. Other than one album where they covered Cab Calloway, it's mostly original.

Jun 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #585 of 5,037

Fun fact is that Mingus actually considered many of his dates with what many would refer to as large ensembles as merely midsize ensembles. Let My Children Hear Music is a great example of what kind of music he had ambitions to create. A highly recommended record by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back