On a mission to like jazz
May 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #556 of 5,038
  I've only listened to it twice. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Remember Bitches Brew was recorded way back in 1969 so in order to fully appreciate this ground breaking recording you should at least try to recreate some of the heady late 1960s environment that is part and parcel of this recording. To wit: I suggest round up as many of the following items as possible:

1) A black light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light)

2) Some day-glow posters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayglo)

3) Really big sunglasses

4) A very colorful wardrobe

5) Lots of herb

and

6) Some of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_acid_diethylamide

Hopefully these items will help you to fully understand what Miles was trying to do with Bitches Brew
L3000.gif

May 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #557 of 5,038
I found this on KPLU - nice performance

May 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #558 of 5,038
Maybe someday I will appreciate the album for what it is but for now and the last few years it just isn't for me. If you think not liking "bitches brew" is bad wait till you hear this - I don't like The Beatles and never did! Imaging that. I get shocked faces all the time when I pull that one outta the bag. 
wink.gif

Not to worry. I've always preferred the Rolling Stones to the Beatles so I know what you mean.

By the way, if you are really serious about becoming a true jazz fan then the shocked faces you've seen after stating your dislike of the Beatles are nothing compared to what you'll see once you mention that you like jazz.

(It should read: "Really? I'm sorry to hear that.")

May 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #559 of 5,038

Not to worry. I've always preferred the Rolling Stones to the Beatles so I know what you mean.

By the way, if you are really serious about becoming a true jazz fan then the shocked faces you've seen after stating your dislike of the Beatles are nothing compared to what you'll see once you mention that you like jazz.

(It should read: "Really? I'm sorry to hear that.")

hahahaha........ I know exactly what you mean. 

May 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #560 of 5,038
  hahahaha........ I know exactly what you mean. 

All I can say is be prepared - I've been seeing those shocked looks and hearing the snide comments for over 40 years. Plus if you mention that you really like and enjoy free or avant-garde jazz then the looks and remarks are even worse.

Cecil Taylor

equals:

May 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #564 of 5,038
I recently got this box :

41XJS1F2QeL._SX300_.jpg

(Bill Evans, "Turn out the stars" The Final Village Vanguard Recordings, June 1980, 6CD's)

And it sounds phenomenal. The venue is very special, it's crammed, a tiny basement space with not the best acoustic but the atmosphere allows historic performances to take place. And this box is one of them in my book. The sound is relatively close miked for each instrument and not a lot of the room acoustics but nevertheless a great live recording.

May 27, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #565 of 5,038

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Gamak

This album has briefly been mentioned in this thread before, but Gamak recently won the ECHO jazz award 2014 (Germany's Grammy) for Best International Jazz Group so it deserves revisiting. This record is one of the best new releases I've heard in a while so this clash of a myriad of influenced wrapped around Mahanthappa's wonderful microtonality is truly a rich musical journey which I wholeheartedly recommend to any true fan of jazz.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #566 of 5,038
One of my favorite renditions of My Favorite Things is actually part of a little Coltrane meddley in a really good anime (one that focuses a lot around Jazz in general).
Give it a try :wink:

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #567 of 5,038
Just picked these up, ignore the King Crimson, I know that isn't jazz, but the other 3 definitely are. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #569 of 5,038

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back