On a mission to like jazz
May 18, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #542 of 5,056

Just reserved it from my library - will have it this week

Keep me posted on what you think of it. It will be interesting to hear your impressions and when you do hear it you might have some suggestions of similar contemporary female vocal albums. 

May 19, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #543 of 5,056

I can't recall Johnny Griffin particularly coming up in this thread so far. Fans of the likes of Bird from the bebop era and swinging hard bop will find plenty to like.

May 19, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #544 of 5,056

I can't recall Johnny Griffin particularly coming up in this thread so far. Fans of the likes of Bird from the bebop era and swinging hard bop will find plenty to like.

I'm on this now, thank's for posting. 

May 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #545 of 5,056

And finally a really fun recording - The Lounge Lizards - Where Were You

Hi Ralph - I finally got the lounge lizards album "no pain for cakes" that has that track on it. Its great stuff. ¬

I much prefer it to their first album as it happens. 

The first track on there is called - "my trip to Ireland"  

May 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #546 of 5,056

Evan Parker - 50th Birthday Concert

This might very well be the most challenging album that I've learned to like thus far. Evan Parker is an uncompromising artist and this 50th birthday concert on two CDs takes free jazz a lot further out than on many other albums I've heard from the genre. When I first listened to the record I felt like all the experience I'd accumulated as a listened thus far was far from adequate to prepare me to take on this aural journey. After owning the album for two and a half years and returning to it roughly every six months or so, I can now however say that this record is more than worth the time invested into trying to learn to appreciate its complexities and what it has to say.

May 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #547 of 5,056

Just got these two. Listening to the Charles Lloyd album right now. It's quite good.

I was hesitant to buy the Keith Jarrett album, everybody says it's essential to have, but I wasn't sure I'd like a solo piano album. I listened to/watched part one on Youtube this morning and I definitely liked it. My local family owned record store had a copy last time I was in there, after hearing part one this morning I figured I'd go see if they still had a copy, they did so I grabbed it. These $16 a piece ECM albums are going to make me go broke. 

May 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #548 of 5,056

Just got these two. Listening to the Charles Lloyd album right now. It's quite good.

I was hesitant to buy the Keith Jarrett album, everybody says it's essential to have, but I wasn't sure I'd like a solo piano album. I listened to/watched part one on Youtube this morning and I definitely liked it. My local family owned record store had a copy last time I was in there, after hearing part one this morning I figured I'd go see if they still had a copy, they did so I grabbed it. These $16 a piece ECM albums are going to make me go broke. 

I would say that that Jarrett album is one of the most absolutely essential albums for any music fan to hear regardless of their personal musical preference. I seriously should get around to buying it on vinyl... It is definitely one of my favorite ten albums of all time. Also the recording quality is sublime.

If you end up loving the album, prepare to go broke because the Sun Bear Concerts box set by ECM from around the same period comes on 6 CDs and will set you back a pretty penny. It is almost every bit as good as the Köln Concert in my opinion, though. I love it and it has even longer solo improvisations with an incredible amount of depth despite the completely improvised nature.

May 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #549 of 5,056

I would say that that Jarrett album is one of the most absolutely essential albums for any music fan to hear regardless of their personal musical preference. I seriously should get around to buying it on vinyl... It is definitely one of my favorite ten albums of all time. Also the recording quality is sublime.

If you end up loving the album, prepare to go broke because the Sun Bear Concerts box set by ECM from around the same period comes on 6 CDs and will set you back a pretty penny. It is almost every bit as good as the Köln Concert in my opinion, though. I love it and it has even longer solo improvisations with an incredible amount of depth despite the completely improvised nature.

I'm listening to it right now. The flac rip from the CD of course sounds a million times better than it did on Youtube this morning. I didn't think solo piano would keep me awake and interested, but it is quite good. It sounds great on my nearfield speakers. 

May 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #550 of 5,056
I'm currently listening to Bitches Brew on my nearfield speakers for the first time. This is the second time I have heard the album, and the first time was on the Q701's. It is a lot more enjoyable on these speakers than I remember it to be on the Q701.  

May 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #551 of 5,056
  I'm currently listening to Bitches Brew on my nearfield speakers for the first time. This is the second time I have heard the album, and the first time was on the Q701's. It is a lot more enjoyable on these speakers than I remember it to be on the Q701.  

I never did like that album. I tried a lot of times to like it but it just does not gel with me. 
frown.gif

May 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #552 of 5,056
May 24, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #553 of 5,056

Glad that you are this great Miles Davis recording!
  I never did like that album. I tried a lot of times to like it but it just does not gel with me. 
frown.gif

Blasphemy! 
eek.gif

It's not my favorite either. 

Double blasphemy!
eek.gif
eek.gif

NOTE: ONLY KIDDING! To each his own.

May 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #555 of 5,056

Glad that you are this great Miles Davis recording!
Blasphemy! 
eek.gif

Double blasphemy!
eek.gif
eek.gif

NOTE: ONLY KIDDING! To each his own.

Maybe someday I will appreciate the album for what it is but for now and the last few years it just isn't for me. If you think not liking "bitches brew" is bad wait till you hear this - I don't like The Beatles and never did! Imaging that. I get shocked faces all the time when I pull that one outta the bag. 
wink.gif

I could't stand Bob Marley for the longest time and now I like him so I suppose anything is possible. 

I'm listening to this right now ¬ 

not exactly jazz but there ya go...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back