On a mission to like jazz
May 8, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #526 of 5,060
  I think its time for me to try some bill Evans now, I have waited long enough - what albums would you recommend? 

"Waltz for Debby" has always been my favorite, if I may butt in. Then again that is pretty much the only Bill Evans album that has clicked with me thus far, and I have about half a dozen of his albums.

May 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #527 of 5,060
  "Waltz for Debby" has always been my favorite, if I may butt in. Then again that is pretty much the only Bill Evans album that has clicked with me thus far, and I have about half a dozen of his albums.

It's a really good album, and Monica is amazing!

May 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #528 of 5,060
  I think its time for me to try some bill Evans now, I have waited long enough - what albums would you recommend? 

The Complete Village Vanguard recordings 1961 would be a nice start..or Portrait of Jazz... 

Personally I like Bill Evans work from the sixties best, I don't react well to electronic bass in Jazz trio's..
redface.gif

Also Explorations and Undercurrent (with gitarist Jim Hall) is very good IMO  if you like sax, the album with Cannonball Aderley ('Know What I Mean') is very good..

Good luck
L3000.gif

There are relative cheap (verbatim) cd boxes of all the complete Riverside (15 cd's) /and Verve recordings (18 cd's) which are all great..

...  and 'Everybody Diggs Bill Evans' of course..

May 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #529 of 5,060
Nice I will have a look in tower tomorrow 
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #530 of 5,060
Listening to some Bill Evans today - I got a download of Exploration's. Does anyone one know if he wrote the song Nardis. I ask this because Patricia Barber also has a track on her "Cafe Blue" album with the same name. I'm wondering is it a standard or are the 2 songs completely unrelated? 

By the way, the percussion's on the first track - "Israel" - wow 
eek.gif

Paul Motian very nice stuff sir. Very tasteful 

May 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #531 of 5,060
Doesn't sound
  Listening to some Bill Evans today - I got a download of Exploration's. Does anyone one know if he wrote the song Nardis. I ask this because Patricia Barber also has a track on her "Cafe Blue" album with the same name. I'm wondering is it a standard or are the 2 songs completely unrelated? 

By the way, the percussion's on the first track - "Israel" - wow 
eek.gif

Paul Motian very nice stuff sir. Very tasteful 

Nardis is a Miles Davis tune, but I don't believe he recorded it himself..don't know why.. I listened to the Patricia Barber's Nardis on Youtube, doesn't sound familiar at first hearing, sounds boring
biggrin.gif

I listen to Bill Evans for years, but he really got to me lately..he's special  when you get to know the tunes and you hear the other live versions, you'll get to appreciate his creativity and his genius in harmonics..

May 8, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #532 of 5,060
  Doesn't sound

Nardis is a Miles Davis tune, but I don't believe he recorded it himself..don't know why.. I listened to the Patricia Barber's Nardis on Youtube, doesn't sound familiar at first hearing, sounds boring
biggrin.gif

I listen to Bill Evans for years, but he really got to me lately..he's special  when you get to know the tunes and you hear the other live versions, you'll get to appreciate his creativity and his genius in harmonics..

I actually really like that Patricia barber song

May 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #533 of 5,060
May 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #535 of 5,060
Just got these today:

Got these two a few days ago as well. 

May 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #536 of 5,060
this is an amazing performance by any standard. Mrs Cecile just keeps surprising me. 
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #537 of 5,060
Picked this up last night on CD

May 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #539 of 5,060

Love it...

beerchug.gif

Did you get around to hearing her album yet? It's called "womanchild". 

Unfortunately this is not on that album but hopefully she will put it on her new one. I really love this track. Amazing drumming from Laurence Leathers! 

May 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #540 of 5,060
  Just got these today:

Got these two a few days ago as well. 

Have always been a Charles Lloyd fan.  First saw him with Cannonball Adderley Sextet back around 1964-65 (revealing my age) along with Louis Hayes and Joe Zawinul back in Philly when the city was a hotbed of Jazz.  

If you can, get a copy of his Athens Concert with Maria Farantouri on ECM (2011). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back