OMG! Xin amps killer found! = Three Stones MiniBox-E+
Jan 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #46 of 59
nauxolo, the difference is not huge but you can hear the difference. I have compared my MiniBox-E+ w/ vorlon1's MiniBox-E and both him and I can hear the improvement. BTW, as I recall the main change was going to a higher 18 volts battery.

As far as Skylab massive portable amp review remember that not everyone hears the same. Plus there are different elements like gear and music that varies.

I would not worry to much what others think. You are the one that needs to make the call, so the best would be for you to attend a meet to listen and make the decision.

In closing remember not every one likes chocolate.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #48 of 59
Damn you EFN!
wink.gif
You posted in one of the other threads I had started about the NuForce Icon Mobile and you mentioned the synergy between the MiniBox-E+ and the ER4Ps. I became intrigued and looked into this little baby and became too interested. I ended up purchasing one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what I'll do with the Icon Mobile, it is a decent little DAC/Amp for the price. Maybe I'll keep it and use it to feed the MiniBox-E+. Do you guys think it's worth it or should I just send it back?

-sid

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you EFN!
wink.gif
You posted in one of the other threads I had started about the NuForce Icon Mobile and mentioned the synergy between the ER4Ps. I became intrigued and looked into this little baby and became too interested. I ended up purchasing one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what I'll do with the Icon Mobile, it is a decent little DAC/Amp for the price. Maybe I'll keep it and use it to feed the MiniBox-E+. Do you guys think it's worth it or should I just send it back?

-sid

ooops......sorry hehehehe

By all means, keep the NuForce Icon Mobile so that you can benchmark the difference between both. Seriously, let your ear do the judging and if one have to go, again let your ear decide. Cheers.

nauxolo:
You will observe also that Skylab rated Xin Refence and Xin SuperMicro-IV at 9th ranking, while I have believe that a sizeable bunch of Head-Fiers would have placed them at the very top instead. Even the Decware Zen Head and Graham Slee Voyager scored a lowly rating. It is not surprising that the older MiniBox-E will get even lesser grading from him. For some reasons I believe all the unfavored amps stated above shared a common trait that didn't quite jive with Skylab ears. On top of that, Skylab also factored in build quality as well and Xin amps were never known for their asthetic quality, not like those amps made by RSA.

So, like mrarroyo mentioned, not everyone love chocolate. Another man honey can be another's poison.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nauxolo:
You will observe also that Skylab rated Xin Refence and Xin SuperMicro-IV at 9th ranking, while I have believe that a sizeable bunch of Head-Fiers would have placed them at the very top instead. Even the Decware Zen Head and Graham Slee Voyager scored a lowly rating. It is not surprising that the older MiniBox-E will get even lesser grading from him. For some reasons I believe all the unfavored amps stated above shared a common trait that didn't quite jive with Skylab ears. On top of that, Skylab also factored in build quality as well and Xin amps were never known for their asthetic quality, not like those amps made by RSA.

So, like mrarroyo mentioned, not everyone love chocolate. Another man honey can be another's poison.

Skylab's reviews is so muffled up if you asked me. When he initially did the reviews it was finding the best neutral-sounding amp which he did the rankings upon since he did say that headphones should do all the colouring. Now the Mustang is one of the top amps? What's up with that?

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #51 of 59
I thank that Rob (Skylab) has done a wonderful job. Reviewing gear is a tedious and hard work, it takes many hours and dedication so my hat is off to him.

However lets remember we all hear differently, have different gear, our music differs, etc. So will the amp rankings.

BTW, I am eating some chocolate ice cream.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thank that Rob (Skylab) has done a wonderful job. Reviewing gear is a tedious and hard work, it takes many hours and dedication so my hat is off to him.

However lets remember we all hear differently, have different gear, our music differs, etc. So will the amp rankings.

BTW, I am eating some chocolate ice cream.
wink.gif

Concur whole heartedly!...about Rob's tireless reviews, not the ice cream!

Time for another Rob round of applause and expression of gratitude!

Reviews are bound to be subjective and criteria and standards change over time as countless questions are posed and products change and improve. I am just amazed at Rob's responsiveness, patience and insights. And, please correct me if I am wrong, he does this incredible amount of work for free?

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... And, please correct me if I am wrong, he does this incredible amount of work for free?

Yes he does it for free, just like any other Head Fi member. He just has done more than most!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Yes he does it for free, just like any other Head Fi member. He just has done more than most!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the correction! Indeed, there are many who contribute freely and substantively on here. Thanks to one and all!

As for emptying my wallet.....!!!!??? Good job!

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Chocolate is cheaper, thus safer for "our" wallet.
wink.gif

Unless consumed in copious quantities!! I wonder how many one quart eaters there are on here as they browse??????

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #58 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any of you tried comparing the MiniBox-E with the MiniBox E+ . From reading skylab's reviews, the P-51 was ranked 3rd behind iQables Qube . However, the miniBox -e was ranked 14th, tied with some other ones, out of 37.

Is there a huge step up here? Does anyone know what kind of design / component changes happened here?

That is only one man's opinion/ranking!Everyone has different preferences in sound quality.I would only use it as a reference and as part of research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back