OMG! Xin amps killer found! = Three Stones MiniBox-E+
Dec 24, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Cool! I'm like you. I've been a fan of ER4S for 10yrs now, I'm on my second one.

So why did you move away from the custom molds? Did they not give the best sound quality?

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4N5H1N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure a ton of people use full-size headphones in their portable setup, myself included.

One day you'll discover the irony of it. Especially if you're having an iPod as a source. The only portable amp I trust to power full sized headphones decently is the Pico. Other amps that I've tried just failed miserably.

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 59
EFN, glad you are enjoying the MiniBox-e+. As I told you and just about anyone who will listen the MiniBox-E+ is a superb amp, and when it sold for $179 a major bargain. Now if you want a little darker flavor replace the two AD8610 w/ two AD797. Oh yeah baby!

As far as a Xin Killer, not so sure I agree. Yes the MiniBox-E+ may be a bit above some of the older units by Xin. However I can tell you that is not the case w/ the latest batch of Reference boards (versions A through D) which I have been beta testing.

I have already compared the D1 w/ the D board. I preferred the D1 and my wife the D. Then I compared the C1 w/ the C board, again I preferred the C1 and my wife the C. Lastly I tested the A w/ the B board, we both agreed the B board sounded better of the two.

Next I will compare the B w/ the C1 and C boards. Will select the top two and will compare w/ the D1 and D. Again will select my two favorite ones.

What makes the thing interesting is that all of the above boards use a 22,000 uF Panasonic Cap. The good Dr. sent me 12,000 uF Panasonic Caps to swap and see which one I prefer.

I have two of the early November References, one w/ the 22,000 uF and the other w/ the 12,000 uF cap. When I had them I preferred the sound w/ the 12,000 uF cap but be advised the 22,000 uF cap only had like 12 hours of burn in. I sent both to Aaron who has informed me he is enjoying both and has continued the burn-in of the 22,000 uF cap unit. Hope he reports what he is hearing.

More to come.

Quote:

One day you'll discover the irony of it. Especially if you're having an iPod as a source. The only portable amp I trust to power full sized headphones decently is the Pico. Other amps that I've tried just failed miserably.

I am one of those who disagrees and finds that portable amps can power full size cans w/o any problems. Currently I am using my PROline 2500 and HFI-780 out of either an SR71, Reference, MiniBox-E+, and D3.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am one of those who disagrees and finds that portable amps can power full size cans w/o any problems. Currently I am using my PROline 2500 and HFI-780 out of either an SR71, Reference, MiniBox-E+, and D3.

Well it's your opinion. And I have mine towards portable amps, especially to a certain brand. Oh well. Enough of portable amp bashing. I'm looking forward to EFN's review for the Minibox-E+ with his ER4's

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I laughed a lot.

Good, laughter is the worlds's best medicine.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's your opinion. And I have mine towards portable amps, especially to a certain brand. Oh well. Enough of portable amp bashing. I'm looking forward to EFN's review for the Minibox-E+ with his ER4's

Yes you are indeed entitled to an opinion. However, while I will post the full size cans I have used w/ portable amps you simply make a general statement of cans and that only one amp of the ones you have tried is good enough.

I have tested the Pico both in a headphone only and a second unit w/ both a Dac and Headphone. It is a beautiful looking unit that has plenty of eye candy appeal. Unfortunetly IMO it did not perform up to the amps that I consider to be better like: SR71, LaRocco PRII MkII, MiniBox-E+, Supermicro IV, Reference, Portaphile V2^2 Maxed, just to name a few.

Peace and out.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #23 of 59
Isn't is great that we have dissenting opinions about such as this. What we each hear is vitally important to each of us and no one can change that except if we are uncertain in what we like.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #24 of 59
I find the Ultrasone phones are easy to drive, full size and work well with most all portables I have.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why did you move away from the custom molds? Did they not give the best sound quality?

I never got custom molds from Westone for my ER4S. I entertained the idea but did not pull the trigger after reading in a thread somewhere here that Westone dropped/changed one of the materials that supposedly sounded the best for the ER4S mold. Also, from the comments I've read, the custom mold only improves on the isolation and fit but not the SQ. I don't have any problem with isolation and fit so why waste $150?

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you are indeed entitled to an opinion. However, while I will post the full size cans I have used w/ portable amps you simply make a general statement of cans and that only one amp of the ones you have tried is good enough.

I have tested the Pico both in a headphone only and a second unit w/ both a Dac and Headphone. It is a beautiful looking unit that has plenty of eye candy appeal. Unfortunetly IMO it did not perform up to the amps that I consider to be better like: SR71, LaRocco PRII MkII, MiniBox-E+, Supermicro IV, Reference, Portaphile V2^2 Maxed, just to name a few.

Peace and out.

Ouch! My Pico's re-sale value just dropped altitude.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #27 of 59
Pico doesn't sound bad from what I read. It is great when used amp alone, but I thought the magic of the Pico was when it was being used with its DAC also.

This is just by going by what I have read about it.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico doesn't sound bad from what I read. It is great when used amp alone, but I thought the magic of the Pico was when it was being used with its DAC also.

This is just by going by what I have read about it.

Here we go again with that word...magic

Amp alone= great (IMO)
DAC alone= Tony The Tiger GRREAAAAT!
icon10.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #29 of 59
mrarroyo, yeah I did bloat it a bit about being Xin Amps killer. Xin amp is still very formidable. But my take is that I am surprised that out of the box the MiniBox-E+ simply jive in with ER-4S like I have never heard before. There's that organic synergy which I would have expected better from Xin amps since we know in the earlier days Dr. Xin build his amps around ER-4S (but now I am not sure if he still uses them). And this MiniBox sounded as if it was actually built for ER-4S.

Well I have placed an order for a Xin Reference Type D as well and I hope that will reclaim the crown again in the synergy dept with ER-4.

Wait for my full review which will be ready after 400 hours has passed.

Cheers.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 59
Nice to see you back at head-fi EFN.

I thought you left the addiction for photography? How is that working out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back