OMG! Xin amps killer found! = Three Stones MiniBox-E+
Dec 23, 2008 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=x-large]UPDATE:[/size]
A full review has been posted following up this thread. Read them here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/t...s-pics-400687/

================================================== ================================================== =====

I just can't believe it. Being a Xin amps fanatic for a very long time I am, I just cant swallow this thing called MiniBox-E+.....

Eh pardon me, the amp just arrived 3 hours ago and I plugged her in for some shakedowns. Since my replacement iRiver iHP-140 is not here yet, I jacked her in to my laptop headout. Can't resist the temptation, I took a listen with my ol ER-4S and bang! my brain melted! Xin Killer! that was the first my first reaction......... My laptop was notoriously noisy and scratchy with all other amps I ever paired with her (through the headout), but this baby was as silent as night.

Now I am just at third song, I was listening to Nick Cave's "Where the wild roses grow" and oh god how the danmed thing smoothen out the ER-4 highs - I mean silky smooth - and gone are the SS sibilance!. The mids are as transparent as can be expected and yes, just like my SuperMini-IV (latest) this MiniBox-E+ have bass boost as well and this worked like a charm to warm ER-4S bottom end without a hint of coloration....

And this with no more than 30 mins of burn in.

Most of you know I am a notorious supporter of Xin SuperMicro-IV (04/11/07), loved it to death. And now I have a SuperMini-IV which I loved too. But this MiniBox just trumped em.

Oh well, I will do a proper review when the MiniBox is all cooked and burned through 400hours. But already my SuperMini-IV is looking for a bleak prospect of collecting dust....and some pics too.

PS:
Sidenote, it seems that Head Direct has changed the design a bit. Gone are the SFOR switch which was, according to Mrarroyo, will enhance the soundstage or some sort of spatial control

......Oh dang, I just finished Nick Cave "the kindness of strangers" and I am just still in a state of disbelief.....

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 59
Sweet man! So how does this rank so far then on your list of amps to use with the Etys?

Also, pics would be nice cuz the Head-Direct ones don't show the 75-ohm resistor switch anymore...
frown.gif

Seems like this or the XM5 would be great for the ER4p!

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet man! So how does this rank so far then on your list of amps to use with the Etys?

Also, pics would be nice cuz the Head-Direct ones don't show the 75-ohm resistor switch anymore...
frown.gif

They still do actually.

2007Dec2308173214.JPG

It's labeled PtoS

Lol.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They still do actually.

It's labeled PtoS

Lol.

I'm taking a guess that PtoS switch means ER4P to ER4S? Never really understood what that meant until now.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm taking a guess that PtoS switch means ER4P to ER4S? Never really understood what that meant until now.

Yep somewhat. It's the resistor switch. More convenient to call it PtoS as most Headfiers would know about the Etymotics PtoS adapter cable rather than something called "75ohm resistor".
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

This baby has it all to take the crown for ER-4 synergy - at least this what my ears tell me. As per my opinion stated earlier in a different post, the Xin SuperMini-IV is still a great partner for ER-4 as well - with that handy 6db Bass Boost and P to S switch (75 oHM).

But let's see how it goes and we will know for sure.

PS:
Yes, MiniBox-E+ does have that 75 oHM switch which is aptly named PtoS. Funny enough, this makes me think that the builder of MiniBox-E+ is an avid ER-4P....probably

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS:
Yes, MiniBox-E+ does have that 75 oHM switch which is aptly named PtoS. Funny enough, this makes me think that the builder of MiniBox-E+ is an avid ER-4P....probably

I suppose he's one of them smart people who actually was smart enough to design it for IEMs and IEMs only. I mean c'mon. What's the point of getting a portable amp if not to pair it for IEMs.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose he's one of them smart people who actually was smart enough to design it for IEMs and IEMs only. I mean c'mon. What's the point of getting a portable amp if not to pair it for IEMs.

Makes perfect sense. This is why I practice monogamy of ONE IEM only
ph34r.gif
LOL!. And since I am a full time porta audiophilia, I don't have any full sized cans at all. My rigs have changed until I have lost count but my one and only IEM the rusty ER-4 remains.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes perfect sense. This is why I practice monogamy of ONE IEM only
ph34r.gif
LOL!. And since I am a full time porta audiophilia, I don't have any full sized cans at all. My rigs have changed until I have lost count but my one and only IEM the rusty ER-4 remains.

I'm still laughing my arse off with some of the newer amps, especially from a certain company. I mean, who cares if a portable amp can power ________ headphones. They'd still be used with a pair of IEMs anyways. Might as well make a transportable amp if someone plans on lugging around a pair of full-sized headphones. Some of the marketing and initial review hype is just hilarious while being ridiculous at the same time!
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 59
I'm pretty sure a ton of people use full-size headphones in their portable setup, myself included.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 59
Head direct price jumped on the MiniBox E+ from $149 to $179 to now $229. Is it the same design or are there technical changes between the older ones?

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4N5H1N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure a ton of people use full-size headphones in their portable setup, myself included.

Count me in too.

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN, what is an "UltraModded Etymotic ER-4S"?

It simply means my ER-4 has gone so many stages of mods LOL!

Anyway mine was probably the most abused and modded (so many times).

At some stage last year with Custom Molds
ER-4PCustomMold01.jpg

ER-4PCustomMold02.jpg

Second Recable using Zune stuff
FinalModER-4S01.jpg

13WholePic.jpg

13Completed.jpg

Latest Incarnation...(will be recabled again very soon with 5N pure silver wires)
EFNEtyUltraModded-ALL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back