OMG!! The World's Most Powerful Sub! Down to 1Hz!
Nov 2, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I stand corrected, wow it goes quite higher than I would have thought.

But not by much: 40 Hz is the upper limit. So it's indeed rather an infrasound woofer.

peacesign.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
But not by much: 40 Hz is the upper limit. So it's indeed rather an infrasound woofer.

Yes, but still, almost 100dB from 1Hz all the way to 40Hz is quite amazing. Now Organs will soon be reproduceable in every home without gigantic subs, the cost of infrasubs like this should lower with time. Also, slightly smaller might compromise volume but still be practical for achieving those low freqs in small spaces satisfactorily. I think this device to some extent is kind of a breakthrough.

Note: when describing the mechanism I originally wrote "wobble", but the correct word to use as in the article should be "swivel".

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I think this device to some extent is kind of a breakthrough.

I have never seen anything like it before. I do think the 1Hz mark is a bit of overkill, but it would be incredibly fun to have true "wall shaking" bass.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
I have never seen anything like it before. I do think the 1Hz mark is a bit of overkill, but it would be incredibly fun to have true "wall shaking" bass.

Not just at homes. Imagine film theater with banks of those, as many as the size of the theater might require. Film soundtracks will certainly start including some serious LFEs if devices like this become widespread. Those could be called ULFE for Ultra Low Freq. Effects.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 38
No, cheap is bad. This needs to stay at least in the $2000 range so that it will be out of reach for the apartment dwelling frat boys of the world. It's bad enough that they have access to cheap powered subs.

This would however make for nice bass reinforcement for my K-1000s...

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

The big fan—er, sub—with a blade diameter I'd estimate at 17-inches was operational, and clearly produced audible, high level output to at least 17Hz. Below that its action was more obvious in the way it shook everything in the rooms and, below 10Hz, caused the rooms' walls to literally flutter back and forth like a sheet in the wind. Scary, but impressive.

If this thing is making walls (I am assuming there were 2x4/sheet rock walls) flutter then I wonder how it would feel to a person standing in that same room. That would just about knock you off your feet!

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 38
Did everyone forget that Kenny crapped himself to death in the third season of South Park from the "the brown noise"?

"The brown noise is believed to be 92 cents below the lowest octave of E-flat"
link

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmr
Did everyone forget that Kenny crapped himself to death in the third season of South Park from the "the brown noise"?

"The brown noise is believed to be 92 cents below the lowest octave of E-flat"
link

I actually just watched a Myth Busters on "the brown note" the other day. They had some pro sound guys set up a little area to stand in that was surrounded on three sides by banks of woofers. They tried everything from 5 Hz to 30 Hz and nothing made Adam feel bad or crap his pants or anything, and the levels were even up to 160 (!!!) dB. Myth securely busted, if you ask me.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 38
Some interesting links on infrasound:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

http://www.spacedog.biz/infrasonic/background.htm

Extract from an interesting report at nih.gov:
"The primary effect of infrasound in humans appears to be annoyance (24-26). To achieve a given amount of annoyance, low frequencies were found to require greater sound pressure than with higher frequencies; small changes in sound pressure could then possibly cause significantly large changes in annoyance in the infrasonic region (24). Beginning at 127 to 133 dB, pressure sensation is experienced in the middle ear (26). Regarding potential hearing damage, Johnson (27) concluded that short periods of continuous exposures to infrasound below 150 dB are safe and that continuous exposures up to 24 hours are safe if the levels are below 118 dB."

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #28 of 38
Now...somebody needs to miniturize it for use in headphones....

Imagine - an electrostatic midtweeter and this kind of woofer in a headphone. Stax should call up Eminent!

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #30 of 38
I have a few here of these, they go down to 0.1Hz BTW, if you want to get some for half that price just PM me.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

42_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back