OMG!! The World's Most Powerful Sub! Down to 1Hz!
Nov 6, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Now...somebody needs to miniturize it for use in headphones....

Imagine - an electrostatic midtweeter and this kind of woofer in a headphone. Stax should call up Eminent!

[size=small]
Wouldn't this cause human skulls to wow & flutter uncontrollably?
lambda.gif

[/size]

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #32 of 38
Didn't you guys notice that this can't be installed in your listening room? It has to be installed in your attic or basement. How practical can it be to have the whole house shaking and pulsating? Wouldn't that be extremely annoying to other people in/around the house?

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 38
I have a fan in my room right now that's producing probably about 1 hz. Not that hard to do. Let me turn up the speed. Wow. Now it's about 2.5 hz. Yikes, we've got some serious bass going on here, people.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #35 of 38
md, maybe we can makeup for my last post by me agreeing with you here!
i hope you werent kidding and i put my foot in my mouth though. it took long enough for someone to see what was under our eyes all this time. a fan oscillates at very low frequencies by 'chopping' the air. remember our ears are mechanical devices that interpret the movement of air. and as air moves under even harder pressure our bodies feel it. harder and it moves objects around it. harder still and plates fall out of the cabinets.

go stand next to a sr71 on the tarmac. no, not the headphone amplifier silly. the now defunct military stealth jet. there is your subwoofer!
the smart engineers were able to (not) so simply 'tune' this device. that is the feat here. any fan will wobble air waves. tuning it is another story. who knows though. do we know it is actually accurate to any degree? may just be another $50 best buy one note johnny. for 13 grand that is. lol.

music_man.

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I actually just watched a Myth Busters on "the brown note" the other day. They had some pro sound guys set up a little area to stand in that was surrounded on three sides by banks of woofers. They tried everything from 5 Hz to 30 Hz and nothing made Adam feel bad or crap his pants or anything, and the levels were even up to 160 (!!!) dB. Myth securely busted, if you ask me.

Hahaha, talk about your clothes flapping around. Next thing you know we'll have walls which reproduce bass...literally house moving bass.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #37 of 38
Am I missing something?

The wavelength of a 17hz signal is 66.47 feet. No home has the space necessary to create a full waveform and all surfaces in the space will be fractions of the wavelength, severely limiting their reactions to the pressure front.

This effect is what happens inside a booming car - you get the pressure but no "sound". The sound happens outside the vehicle after it propagate the required distance.

In a home installation you will get a fan...than moves air but doesn't make much "sound". That's why they're saying you have to put it in the "attic or basement" - it has to propagate. Now, what happens if you don't have a house with enclosed distances as required?...

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
In a home installation you will get a fan...than moves air but doesn't make much "sound". That's why they're saying you have to put it in the "attic or basement" - it has to propagate. Now, what happens if you don't have a house with enclosed distances as required?...

Your head will explode. pffft. Everyone knows that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back