OMG! OMG! OMG! MY 580 has arrived!!! HOW DO I TREAT THIS BABY?????
Nov 8, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by yfei
Mine also arrived (from newegg) today !
I never played 580/600 before, there are 2 things confused me:
1. This headphone looks coarse, poor plastic. I took some photos of it, but I don't know how to find a website to host my picture?
2. It is really easy to drive. When play mp3, put master volum and 'wave' volum to only 1/5 will drive it very very laud. On my Sony XE500 CD player it is too laud even for lowest volum level, I need to use the 'HZR 62' volum control to bring the volum down to listenable level. Is 580 really so easy to drive?

1) Hmm, I really think the construction is pretty good. . .

2) You may be getting noise, but does the noise sound good?
wink.gif
The amps that we recommend here don't necessarily make the sound louder(though they do). Their primary role is to make the sound better. I'm going for a simplistic explanation here guys. . .

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
I don't think it matters what music you play for the purpose of burn in is to work out the drivers and any music will do that.

very true. suggestions are just made because it can give the drivers a better workout rather than just some random music.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #18 of 60
um, its not exactly like a car, its just a matter of loosening them up enough to where they sound good, its not as if it dynamicly loosens up based on what they play. it simply gets..better.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by yfei
Mine also arrived (from newegg) today !
I never played 580/600 before, there are 2 things confused me:
1. This headphone looks coarse, poor plastic. I took some photos of it, but I don't know how to find a website to host my picture?
2. It is really easy to drive. When play mp3, put master volum and 'wave' volum to only 1/5 will drive it very very laud. On my Sony XE500 CD player it is too laud even for lowest volum level, I need to use the 'HZR 62' volum control to bring the volum down to listenable level. Is 580 really so easy to drive?

Easy to drive? No, at least that's not what happen to me. I turn the volume up to max to make it sound somewhat louder than I usually listen to (people suggest that). I dunno..I just don't think it's that easy to drive.
BTW, the bass is still not there...not even with Metallica! I guess 580 has a muddy, slow bass...good thing I listen to classical music 80% of time. Phewww~
I once listened to the same Metallica album using my bro's Sony phone!!All I can say is that phone is got BASS!!! I thought my 580 could match that...Oh well~ ....Sony bass did sound a little artificial though....but good extention and quickness.
Open and detail sound? Definitely!! Even without breaking it in...I can tell these characteristics already.

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 60
Nov 8, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 60
Luvya,

When I first got my 580s, I thought they were unlistenable. After 24 hours of burn in, they REALLY opened up and after 48 hours, the really mellow Senn sound took hold. I love these phones. Don't let the first impressions skew your perception. Don't even listen to them as you burn them. Let them play for two or three days and then put them on. You'll love 'em!

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Luvya
HI: Good luck with your new 580s. Burn them in a little bit louder than you would listen to them on your head. I use rock music for burn in. Now not too loud. Also I would suggest a 100 hour burn in but you can still listen to then during this time and when done continue the burn in. Enjoy

Lou...

This is what I like about you... Even though the Senns have fallen out of favour with you... that you can still heartily recommend them to other people... WITHOUT bashing them
biggrin.gif

Keep it up
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 9:11 AM Post #24 of 60
The first picture, on the center of membrane, it was GRAVED with number '19'. the grave doesn't hurt the membrane?

Mine is just too easy to drive, and also the '19' grave, make me a little suspicious.

How about yours?

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
Easy to drive? No, at least that's not what happen to me. I turn the volume up to max to make it sound somewhat louder than I usually listen to (people suggest that). I dunno..I just don't think it's that easy to drive.
BTW, the bass is still not there...not even with Metallica! I guess 580 has a muddy, slow bass...good thing I listen to classical music 80% of time. Phewww~
I once listened to the same Metallica album using my bro's Sony phone!!All I can say is that phone is got BASS!!! I thought my 580 could match that...Oh well~ ....Sony bass did sound a little artificial though....but good extention and quickness.
Open and detail sound? Definitely!! Even without breaking it in...I can tell these characteristics already.

I think this bass should not be how one HP sounds as compared to another but rather how they sound compared to a live performance of the same music. I think people have become conditioned to expect more bass than there really is in the music. The manufacturers of HP's and PCDP's have helped this by designing products that accentuate the lows or boost them.

I think sometimes our expectations need to be reset. Listen to a live concert and then listen to your Senns. I think you will be surprised how close the sound is.

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 60
john_jcb
HI JOHN: I agree with you that the closes to natural in the headphones the closes to the music that was recorded. Some how we have learned to want to hear bass that is not really recorded that way in the music.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I think sometimes our expectations need to be reset. Listen to a live concert and then listen to your Senns. I think you will be surprised how close the sound is.

It's not accidentally that the HD 580/600 have the reputation to be one of the best sounding headphones for classical music, or acoustic music at all. They are relatively little coloured, and their bass intensity, if lacking naturalness, is rather slightly too high than too low – at least with the average of the equipment of people here at Head-Fi. I for one like the HD 600 bass. Not just the bass.

yfei...

...I also have the «19» on my HD 600 membranes. It seems as though this engraving in the center dome is indispensable for distortion reduction and maximum delicacy...

Don't worry about the ease of driving! But if you're unsure if there's a pair of HD 590 transducers (120 ohm) in your HD 580, just measure if it's really 300 ohm! Anyway, such a behavior with your CDP is funny, but since it's a home player, it's not that strange that it's loud even with a 300 ohm load. Apart from the high impedance, the HD 580/600 has a quite high efficiency.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 60
Thanks, JaZZ

Can you tell me more about how to measure the impedance? Just use the multimeter's impedance function, or need to use a 1kHz frequency generator then measure voltage / ampere?

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 60
An ordinary ohm meter (= the multimeter) will do the job.

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Apart from the high impedance, the HD 580/600 has a quite high efficiency.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Of course, they're German!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, congrats on the new phones. I'm looking at the 590s my self, but if new egg gets the 580s back in stock for $126 shipped I think I'm going to force my friend to buy a pair. He needs phones too, and I'd love to be able to try out some 580's in my own home.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back