OMG! OMG! OMG! MY 580 has arrived!!! HOW DO I TREAT THIS BABY?????
Nov 8, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #31 of 60
yfei- My HD580s have the exact same flaw on the back cover where the mesh isnt punched out. I didnt have the little scratch though.
My HD580s were really hard to drive. Running off my SB Audigy Platinum or Harman Kardon receiver, i had to have the volume to levels that would have the police here in seconds if I was running that much through my JBL speakers.
At first i was really hesitent about buying an amplifier for my headphones because I wasnt sure how much better they could actually sound. Boy was I wrong. A nice amp will turn those headphones into something completely differeent than what you have now. The difference is HUGE.

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
...I also have the «19» on my HD 600 membranes. It seems as though this engraving in the center dome is indispensable for distortion reduction and maximum delicacy...

My drive units have the number 1 on them...

Could be product runs I guess... meaning that mine are a lot older than the ones with 19 on
rolleyes.gif

Also got the miscut backs on my housings...

Nov 8, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
Of course, they're German!
biggrin.gif

Anyway, congrats on the new phones. I'm looking at the 590s my self, but if new egg gets the 580s back in stock for $126 shipped I think I'm going to force my friend to buy a pair. He needs phones too, and I'd love to be able to try out some 580's in my own home.
evil_smiley.gif

Dark,

The 580s are terrific phones. I like them better than 590s. You do need an amp to get the best out of them and the better your source is, the better they'll sound. They don't have that "wow" factor that the 590s do, but you'll realize that they're much more refined once you give them some time.

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by yfei
The first picture, on the center of membrane, it was GRAVED with number '19'. the grave doesn't hurt the membrane?

Mine is just too easy to drive, and also the '19' grave, make me a little suspicious.

How about yours?

I am a little relunctant to take out parts on my phones....so I couldn't tell u what number is on my membrane
frown.gif
sorry

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I think this bass should not be how one HP sounds as compared to another but rather how they sound compared to a live performance of the same music. I think people have become conditioned to expect more bass than there really is in the music. The manufacturers of HP's and PCDP's have helped this by designing products that accentuate the lows or boost them.

I think sometimes our expectations need to be reset. Listen to a live concert and then listen to your Senns. I think you will be surprised how close the sound is.

U brought up an interesting note. Fidelity VS Personal preference!
While fidelity is what every manufactures strike for, listeners sometimes want to set the bass a little lower or the treble a little brighter. Ultimately it's a matter of taste. I know the drum played in Metallica album can't sound that bassy as on my bro's Sony phone, that's why I said the bass on Sony was artificial..but again, we are striking for what sounds best for us and not what's true to the sound....So...I don't know, this is just my thought.

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 60
I use one of the Stereophile Test CDs. They include a track to burn in electronics, including, naturally, headphones.

They were included free (I have Test CDs 2 & 3) with my subscription/subscription renewals several years back.

Here's a link

https://secure.stereophile.com/stere...cordings.shtml

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #41 of 60
do you think it would be wiser to burn with a mono signal instead of stereo? i would think that that would give a more balanced burn in (in case there's the usual bass to the left, brass to the right, strings in the middle and percussion in the rear, with the piano on the left soundstage).

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by DeeJayBump
I use one of the Stereophile Test CDs. They include a track to burn in electronics, including, naturally, headphones.

They were included free (I have Test CDs 2 & 3) with my subscription/subscription renewals several years back.

Here's a link

https://secure.stereophile.com/stere...cordings.shtml

damn, they came with your subscription? I hope they do something like that again. . .

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #43 of 60
If you have a sound card just download some pink noise and play that to break in your cans.
Here is one in AU format. Just download it and loop it.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can listen to FM just tune in to an unused frequency and use that.

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
good lord that's one damn expensive cd.

$30 isnt so bad if it actually works, the PAD cd is $150. Its suposed to completely burn your system in over a course of 6 hours. ::shurg::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back