Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Let's keep this one about sports only, thanks.

olympic-games-beijing2-300x218.jpg

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 160
Alright! Let's get the games on. I'm ready, and more importantly, my DVR is ready. I have one request to NBC here in the states. Please NBC lock up Jimmy Roberts. Give us more sports in the prime time please. Yeah, right it's going to be schmaltz central. Cue up another Torres bio. More soft lighting for Bob Costas please!

Seriously, I'm stoked for tomorrow and have already watched a couple events; love the rings.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 160
I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. It hasn't rained all week and I doubt the chemical gadgetry they're using to prevent rainfall would actually work. The Bird's Nest doesn't have a roof.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 160
Let the game begin!
I am more into winter games myself (wonder why...
tongue.gif
). But will probably watch the opening ceremony, and I guess a couple of events as well. Cycling maybe...

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 160
i've always been fascinated by korea's women archery team. if its ever on tv, watch it. those korean archers can shoot a pea from like 50 yards or something away.
track&field will be exciting to watch as always.
i'm prob gonna watch the men's basketball mostly. if we dont win it this time, i'll cry.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 160
Supposedly it's even better inside. But during daytime and in Beijing's usually smog-heavy environment, it looks quite terrible, like cheap plastic. It's absolutely wonderful at night, the Bird's Nest as well.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Panda, are you going to any live event or just stay home watch TV?..

If I had a ticket for the opening ceremony, I would have long sold it on the black market for $15 000 (no kidding).

My dad has a few tickets, have to check, but I know for sure that I'm going to see the 100m finals.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was also trying to get tickets for US or China basketball games, but no luck.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #14 of 160
yep, and to see what, some people faffing about.

unfotunately, people take the olympics too seriously and IMO, lose perspective of what it should be about, not sure what it is about, but it shouldn't be about winning or medals.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my! 15,000 in US$ or RMB? either case that's insane!

USD. One reason is simply the huge demand and limited contingent. The other is that Chinese people like to give "gifts" and since even Chinese usually don't go as far as bribing people with money directly, you have to find something where the other party knows more or less how much it is worth, e.g. little golden statues, ridiculously expensive dinner where you ask the waitress openly how much it cost, or ... tickets for the opening ceremony. I think the $15000 tickets are the better ones, or even VIP. I saw one ticket, which included 5 start hotel and flight from any Chinese city first class, for $20 000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbie
unfotunately, people take the olympics too seriously and IMO, lose perspective of what it should be about, not sure what it is about, but it shouldn't be about winning or medals.

George Orwell likened international sports to "mimic warfare" so there you have your real raison d'etre.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back