Ollo audio: Pro headphones from Slovenia
Jul 14, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #76 of 164
Very positive review for the S4X from the italian magazine Audioreview.
Mine should be here by Tuesday! I’ll let you know what I think.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #79 of 164
Anyone knows if the S4X are fun harman tuned headphones? Or are they actually flat.
they were initially designed for recording studios for mastering so they are pretty much flat

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #80 of 164
they were initially designed for recording studios for mastering so they are pretty much flat
Compared to my Focal Elex (so far), these things are the most accurate open headphones I’ve heard for catching kick and snare drums. On the Focal, they’re “blurry” and don’t hit the way drums truly hit.

I’ll ad more as I get more of an impression and get more music on them.

Something that’s blowing me away right now are the Lypertek Tevi TWS that came today too. TWS for less than $100 should not sound this damned good!

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #81 of 164
Thanks on ollos site the s4x was graphed very similarly to the hd650 so I was abit confused. Good to know that it sounds what I presume is perceived flat.

@disastermouse From what I understand the decay and other unquantifiables are more resposible to the correctness as long as its along as the FR is roughly the same. I havent head the focals for a long time now and need to hear them again, thanks for giving me a reason to head down to the store.

Just curious how does the S4X stack up to the srh1840. Its one of the few headphones I would say are flat.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #82 of 164
Thanks on ollos site the s4x was graphed very similarly to the hd650 so I was abit confused. Good to know that it sounds what I presume is perceived flat.

@disastermouse From what I understand the decay and other unquantifiables are more resposible to the correctness as long as its along as the FR is roughly the same. I havent head the focals for a long time now and need to hear them again, thanks for giving me a reason to head down to the store.

Just curious how does the S4X stack up to the srh1840. Its one of the few headphones I would say are flat.
I don’t have an SRH 1840. All I can say is that if “speed” is a thing, these have the same speed as my planars (HE-500), but they don’t have dry mids. They seem to ally accurate, and I’m finding details I can’t with the Elex. Instrument location is coherent from left to right, but there isn’t much “forward” protection, which makes sense for monitor gear, as I personally believe forward locatability likely requires some distortion.

I have a Bifrost Multibit (first version, not the new one), so the music seems to have a “shape.”

Apparently, as flat as they are, I think you can email OLLO for a file that lets you parametrically EQ them even flatter, if need be.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #83 of 164
Holy smokes! I need to do a review of these headphones! Usually, when I hear something this amazingly clear, there's a certain distance or lack of engagement, but the way kickdrums and snares hit, and the way the electric guitar sounds on these headphones is intoxicating. Like, "did someone slip me an edible?" intoxicating.

With the Hip-DAC, there's some sibilance at 8khz, but also some tizz at 11+khz, but with my home kit, it's completely gone. Cymbals shimmer perfectly, and female "esses" don't smear or hiss.

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #85 of 164
Got to try some other pads today: Chinese made sheepskins
pads.jpg
My ears fit perfectly in the oval opening, way better than any round pad I've tried at 90mm.
Closed back leather pads always increase the bass, but even with these pads the S4 is nothing shy of flat and brutally honest.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #86 of 164
Holy smokes! I need to do a review of these headphones! Usually, when I hear something this amazingly clear, there's a certain distance or lack of engagement, but the way kickdrums and snares hit, and the way the electric guitar sounds on these headphones is intoxicating. Like, "did someone slip me an edible?" intoxicating.

With the Hip-DAC, there's some sibilance at 8khz, but also some tizz at 11+khz, but with my home kit, it's completely gone. Cymbals shimmer perfectly, and female "esses" don't smear or hiss.
Further impressions?

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #87 of 164
I have decided to start giving these away to my best clients. Just got them today and listen to them and I'm quite impressed. Very good sound for the money. I'll be excited and proud to give these away representing my company. I'm extremely impressed with Ollo's customer service as well. Big Win For Me discovering these guys. Even bigger win for my best clients!
Resized_Resized_20200809_185944.jpeg

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #88 of 164
I received a email from ollo today which said that they are ”killing off” the S4 and S4R. Anybody know anything about this? Are there new headphones on the horizon?

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #90 of 164
A 2nd mail was sent to answer some questions they got:
Firstly, we are not going anywhere. Many of you thought the message was saying OLLO Audio is saying goodbye. Not at all - we're just saying goodbye to our S4 and S4R models. This 5 days sale is the "final days" of S4 and S4R production. The S4X is being continued. The reason for discontinuing these two models is in focusing our resources to continue our pursuit of the flattest sounding headphones out there.

Secondly, the price of 199€ is there for any current customers (the code is xxxxxxxxxx) and people that couldn't get them at full price before. In case you have an endorsement with OLLO Audio, it's your last chance to get them with your discount code. After Wednesday, OLLO Audio will no longer sell these items.

Thirdly, the remaining stock of items (if any left after Wednesday) will be available at the regular price until stock lasts with our distributors, not at OLLO Audio webpage. Links to their stores will be published next to our "add to cart" button that will turn into a grey "out of stock" button.

Lastly, instalment plan payment option with PayPal is no longer available for S4 and S4R models but remains on the S4X model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back