Old and new K1000 (!?)
Mar 9, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #31 of 48
I posed that very question about the synergy of the SAC and K1000 recently to a dealer in Europe...here was his response:

"In my opinion the K1000 is not the best amp for the K1000. The amp is very clean and neutral but thereby clearly shows the weaknesses of the K1000 (slightly metallic hights, slightly reduced bass). A better synergy is obtained with a warm sounding (tube) amplifier (Audio Valve RKV MkII) or with the PREHEAD (with soft tone controls)."

Does anyone have an SAC amp, and if so, how does it sound with the K1000?
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 48
I wonder whether all those K1000s that are being sent back to Germany for reservicing will retain the characteristics beloved in the older models. If the drivers were changed to the newer ones, I can only imagine their effect on the tone.

Complications like these are what keep me at arms length from the K1k - even as I relisn the thought of maybe having one.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #33 of 48
I don't recommend to send K1000 for servicing to Germany,
believe me - I know what I say.
Best man for K1000 service is in Austria - Mr. Karl Peschel at
AKG Acoustics GmbH
Lemböckgasse 21-25
A-1230 Vienna
Austria
service@akg.com
Phone +43 1 86654 1519
Fax +43 1 86654 1514

I had a long time two K1000 new one with 11xxx and old and burnt in 06xxx
and can only confirm what Nik wrote - old one sound more full bodied
and new one emphasizes upper highs. But Nik, don't think only about drivers,
why not cable?...

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend to send K1000 for servicing to Germany,
believe me - I know what I say.
Best man for K1000 service is in Austria - Mr. Karl Peschel at
AKG Acoustics GmbH
Lemböckgasse 21-25
A-1230 Vienna
Austria
service@akg.com
Phone +43 1 86654 1519
Fax +43 1 86654 1514

I had a long time two K1000 new one with 11xxx and old and burnt in 06xxx
and can only confirm what Nik wrote - old one sound more full bodied
and new one emphasizes upper highs. But Nik, don't think only about drivers,
why not cable?...

Yes, I also think that cable is so important. I can see that in the older units, the wire seems to have a bigger section... (I'm referring to the wire inside of the can-driver)
k1000smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #35 of 48
Hi Nik, It's been a while. Glad to see you are still enjoying your K1000s.

I can provide you with the SN of the one I bought from you if you want.

Still, I must say that the ear is very sensitive to the small tolerances on the fabrication process, much so than eyes for example. Being this pieces small enough, these tolerances play even a higher role (something not as usual on loudspeakers for example and there is bigger margen for error).

The two PS1s I have doesn't sound exactly the same. I can spot them in the darkness. I had 3 at home for a while and they all were a bit different. My L3000 sounds a bit different than the L3000G. And the HE60 of another headfier sounded different than mine. The only ones that seem to sound the same are the 2 Omega1s (although I didn't do much critical listening on the new one). However, I never had this impression with IEMs, or cans like HD595 or SR225.

Perhaps tolerances are playing a role here too?

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Nik, It's been a while. Glad to see you are still enjoying your K1000s.

I can provide you with the SN of the one I bought from you if you want.

Still, I must say that the ear is very sensitive to the small tolerances on the fabrication process, much so than eyes for example. Being this pieces small enough, these tolerances play even a higher role (something not as usual on loudspeakers for example and there is bigger margen for error).

The two PS1s I have doesn't sound exactly the same. I can spot them in the darkness. I had 3 at home for a while and they all were a bit different. My L3000 sounds a bit different than the L3000G. And the HE60 of another headfier sounded different than mine. The only ones that seem to sound the same are the 2 Omega1s (although I didn't do much critical listening on the new one). However, I never had this impression with IEMs, or cans like HD595 or SR225.

Perhaps tolerances are playing a role here too?

Nice to meet you again, man !

The difference between some K1000 are just little thing, I think to the latest serial number (10xxx and 11xxx), the 06xxx is a bit better, but this sone, the oldest (sn 03534), it's ANOTHER SOUND ! May be I'm just so lucky to have found the very best (compared with 8 I had during these last time).

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #37 of 48
I would not agree with you Nik,
you like more warmth and more bass on K1000
but there are many who die for neutrality and analytical sound
and may be thats why they love K1000.
I think you are looking for Sennheiser sound but on higher level,
don't you?

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

I have a theory. Since the exact same thing is said about the RS-1s, I think maybe the drivers are looser causing more bass. I simply think the more they are used, the better they sound. There are also claims on this with the K701s.

So, they break in, and just keep getting better who knows, but that's my theory.

I thought the same thing. Isn't it odd that some of the older K1000s sound better to some ears, relating to their serial number?

AKG is nearly useless as an info source on this kind of thing; their international support sends cut-and-paste messages, but won't seriously address issues like this.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not agree with you Nik,
you like more warmth and more bass on K1000
but there are many who die for neutrality and analytical sound
and may be thats why they love K1000.
I think you are looking for Sennheiser sound but on higher level,
don't you?

Generally all agree that the K1000 is a very open and bright sound, this even for their construction (unconventional cans), if there is a lack in them respect to many traditional cans, may be is the bass... so when I found a "bassy-K1000" I'm in heaven. But this bassy-K1000 has the same detail as others. I love a full bodied sound in the K1000, (as I'd like a more open clear sound in the HD650...).

May be other heafiers prefer a more bright K1000... I think that it's very hard to transforme the K1000 in a closed-dark sound... they do not risk this (IMO).

For this reason I prefer a SET 300B amp for my K1000, to have the most rich and lush sound with that incredible openess and soundstage, just my tastes...

Think to the tail cable for the K1000, if you use the Equinox, you will have a better sound? Or not? I find that the oldest K1000 sound in that direction and the new in the direction of the stock cable, just to give an example...

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posed that very question about the synergy of the SAC and K1000 recently to a dealer in Europe...here was his response:

"In my opinion the K1000 is not the best amp for the K1000. The amp is very clean and neutral but thereby clearly shows the weaknesses of the K1000 (slightly metallic hights, slightly reduced bass). A better synergy is obtained with a warm sounding (tube) amplifier (Audio Valve RKV MkII) or with the PREHEAD (with soft tone controls)."

Does anyone have an SAC amp, and if so, how does it sound with the K1000?
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif

My K1000 and SAC amp just arrived on Friday. I had to get an adapter and some balanced cables to use the amp. I've only listened to it for a short time running balanced out of my Esoteric DV-50. My other amp is a First Watt F1. I've preferred the F1 to the RWA Sig 30, Cary 300sei (WE 300b) and SP Extreme. When I bought the K1000 the seller was selling it with the SAC amp. I was not looking to buy one and figured I would just sell it. I still might as I have the F1 which I use for speakers. The amp is not bad so far. It doesn't have the soundstage of the F1 or the seperation of instruments. The F1 has a warmer sound than the SAC amp. The SAC has it's own volume control where the F1 is running throught the Eddie Current Zana Deux preamp. I suspect that is adding the warmth to the sound.

I don't know what the SAC would sell for but I am sure it is less than the F1 which is around $1500 used. I will have this at HF '07 in the K1000 room so others can see for themselves.

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My K1000 and SAC amp just arrived on Friday. I had to get an adapter and some balanced cables to use the amp. I've only listened to it for a short time running balanced out of my Esoteric DV-50. My other amp is a First Watt F1. I've preferred the F1 to the RWA Sig 30, Cary 300sei (WE 300b) and SP Extreme. When I bought the K1000 the seller was selling it with the SAC amp. I was not looking to buy one and figured I would just sell it. I still might as I have the F1 which I use for speakers. The amp is not bad so far. It doesn't have the soundstage of the F1 or the seperation of instruments. The F1 has a warmer sound than the SAC amp. The SAC has it's own volume control where the F1 is running throught the Eddie Current Zana Deux preamp. I suspect that is adding the warmth to the sound.

I don't know what the SAC would sell for but I am sure it is less than the F1 which is around $1500 used. I will have this at HF '07 in the K1000 room so others can see for themselves.

So you are the one who beat me to the puch on that killer Audiogon deal? Shucks!
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are the one who beat me to the puch on that killer Audiogon deal? Shucks!
wink.gif

Sorry about that. I was second in line and the guy ahead of me couldn't do the deal. I got an email while I was at a music festival and immediately emailed him back that I would take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back